TDF 2017: 14 July - Stage 13 - Saint-Girons - Foix 101kms *Spoilers*

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,641
    iainf72 wrote:
    It's so short Sky might choose to make it brutal from the start, as they have the numbers for it. Or they may just park on Aru's wheel.

Or as Andyp pointed out, maybe today we find out if the rumours of no one liking Aru are true....

It's the first time in 5 years that Sky have needed to gain time in the last half of the race so it will be interesting to see how (if?) they adapt their tactics. Trying to get Landa up the road in a biggish break with help from someone like Kwia or Kiry would be perfect computer game tactics but in reality they wouldn't be welcomed but maybe an attack by them fairly early on the final climb would be good as Aru is unlikely to have more than one rider by then. Problem is there are several other teams with an interest.
  • Pross
    What times kick off? Working from home today so it should be perfect!
  • Pross wrote:

• Alan Ha Ha
    Alan Ha Ha Posts: 88
    Pross wrote:

13:45 BST

I have my daughter's Royal Conservatoire summer school production to attend at 2pm-2.30pm. Grrr
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Alan Ha Ha wrote:
    Pross wrote:

I have my daughter's Royal Conservatoire summer school production to attend at 2pm-2.30pm. Grrr

Middle class problems
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,197
    Pross wrote:
    It's the first time in 5 years that Sky have needed to gain time in the last half of the race so it will be interesting to see how (if?) they adapt their tactics. Trying to get Landa up the road in a biggish break with help from someone like Kwia or Kiry would be perfect computer game tactics but in reality they wouldn't be welcomed but maybe an attack by them fairly early on the final climb would be good as Aru is unlikely to have more than one rider by then. Problem is there are several other teams with an interest.

With the time trial still to come, Froome doesn't need to gain time really. He just needs to not lose much more. Not convinced Sky will suddenly rip up their strategy book and come out all guns blazing today. And let's not forget how they have been caught out on short stages before
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    iainf72 wrote:
    Alan Ha Ha wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Middle class problems

lol Couldnt you just say the 'kids' sports day' like the rest of us oiks
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    This had better be good, I've got the day off!! :D
  • Pross
    Be nice to see Bardet take yellow on Bastille Day.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,826
    r0bh wrote:
    Pross wrote:

With the time trial still to come, Froome doesn't need to gain time really. He just needs to not lose much more. Not convinced Sky will suddenly rip up their strategy book and come out all guns blazing today. And let's not forget how they have been caught out on short stages before

This.
    He still has a virtual lead of a minute or so on Aru and at least half that again on Bardet.

No idea what will happen today, which is refreshing.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • seanorawe
    seanorawe Posts: 950
    Pross wrote:
    Be nice to see Bardet take yellow on Bastille Day.

Nah, I like to see the French being dissapointed every year. 8)
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Perhaps this is a very naive observation, but whilst watching yesterday whilst of course Sky were setting a strong pace, I couldn't help feeling that everyone from Froome backwards was equally benefiting from the work that the team were doing up front and all the ended up doing was putting Aru, Bardet, Uran in exactly the same place as Froome in terms of consumed effort / freshness etc. I know its "nice" to have your teammates there, but in all honesty they did Froome no favours at all unless they thought he clearly had a potential advantage over the other GC contenders.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    edited July 2017
    larkim wrote:
    Perhaps this is a very naive observation, but whilst watching yesterday whilst of course Sky were setting a strong pace, I couldn't help feeling that everyone from Froome backwards was equally benefiting from the work that the team were doing up front and all the ended up doing was putting Aru, Bardet, Uran in exactly the same place as Froome in terms of consumed effort / freshness etc. I know its "nice" to have your teammates there, but in all honesty they did Froome no favours at all unless they thought he clearly had a potential advantage over the other GC contenders.
    At beginning of the day Froome said the objective was to make sure certain riders (most likely Quintana and Contador) weren't allowed back into contention. They're certainly done now, so that objective was achieved.

Up until the Izoard stage is the 'away leg' for Froome. Get to a long MTF and a TT and that's his 'home leg'.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,289
    larkim wrote:

The high pace means that anyone who attacked off the front would have had to go into the red, like Contador. Then they just get caught, unless it's close to a summit or they are massively stronger than Landa.
  • Pross
    r0bh wrote:
    Pross wrote:

This.
    He still has a virtual lead of a minute or so on Aru and at least half that again on Bardet.

No idea what will happen today, which is refreshing.

It would be a big risk betting everything on gaining time over everyone else with no subsequent stages if anything goes wrong. There's also a risk of losing time on some of the other mountain stages.
  • George Bennett said that during the stage Froome was shouting for his team mates to go faster
  • Pross
    Bennett really does exist and is getting serious TV time. I'm not convinced about Louis Mientjes though, that just seems to be a name that always gets added near the bottom of top 10 lists.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    Bennett on ITV4 saying that he still doesn't know what the rule is, and also says "I've never come across it before. Probably because I'm usually at the back of the race and no-one cares..."
  • :evil: what fool put two meetings in my diary today
  • Bennett on ITV4 saying that he still doesn't know what the rule is, and also says "I've never come across it before. Probably because I'm usually at the back of the race and no-one cares..."

No one will be putting Baby Bennett in the corner now

:D
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,563
    Ooh. I like Bennett. That was a great interview!
  • mostly
    mostly Posts: 113
    Surely the watchfinder man on itv4 should invest his money in a better groupset than 'bling watches' .
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,563
    mostly wrote:
    Surely the watchfinder man on itv4 should invest his money in a better groupset than 'bling watches' .

Is Bling selling his watches?
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,471
    :evil: what fool put two meetings in my diary today

Don't worry. It'll be a 100km stroll with Dan Martin winning the sprint.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Tommy giving it the face even in the neutral zone
  • blazing_saddles
    Fuglsang is clearly in pain.
    Doesn't know what to do with his left arm and we are only in the neutral zone.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    Bennett on ITV4 saying that he still doesn't know what the rule is, and also says "I've never come across it before. Probably because I'm usually at the back of the race and no-one cares..."

No one will be putting Baby Bennett in the corner now

:D

I'm just impressed that even Bennett jokes about nobody ever seeing Bennett.
  • blazing_saddles
    dish_dash wrote:
    Ooh. I like Bennett. That was a great interview!

Me too!
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    2.3.027 Feeding is prohibited on climbs, descents and during the first 50 and last 20 km.
    The commissaires panel may reduce the distances mentioned above, depending on atmospheric conditions and the category, type and length of the race. Such a decision must be communicated to interested parties before the start of the race.

The rest of the rulez is here - http://www.uci.ch/mm/Document/News/Rule ... nglish.pdf
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • Vive la France!