Strava age demographics and age-related performance drop-off

2»

Comments

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    Lookyhere wrote:
    a RR down here 54yo, regularly mixes it up in BC 2/3/4 races and gets top 10s. not age related either.

My theory is that as we age we also get lazy, stop doing the really hard efforts and are content with longer easier rides

Of course we all slow down with age but have a read of Joe Friels Fast over Fifty

There are fast riders over 55 but the fact the 54 year old mixing it with second cats is notable suggests they aRe the exception rather than the rule. At 24 that 54year old would probably have been winning those 234s and mixing it with elites and first cats.

I don't buy that we get lazy as we get older there is a deterioration in the level we can achieve from some time in our 30s which by mid 50s has become significant. We can see that in pro cycling as riders rarely hold their best form much past 35 - if there is a drop off by then it's hard to argue that the decline over another 20 years isn't entirely down to age rather than attitude.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Lookyhere
    Lookyhere Posts: 987
    Lookyhere wrote:
    a RR down here 54yo, regularly mixes it up in BC 2/3/4 races and gets top 10s. not age related either.

My theory is that as we age we also get lazy, stop doing the really hard efforts and are content with longer easier rides

Of course we all slow down with age but have a read of Joe Friels Fast over Fifty

There are fast riders over 55 but the fact the 54 year old mixing it with second cats is notable suggests they aRe the exception rather than the rule. At 24 that 54year old would probably have been winning those 234s and mixing it with elites and first cats.

I don't buy that we get lazy as we get older there is a deterioration in the level we can achieve from some time in our 30s which by mid 50s has become significant. We can see that in pro cycling as riders rarely hold their best form much past 35 - if there is a drop off by then it's hard to argue that the decline over another 20 years isn't entirely down to age rather than attitude.

Well no actually, elites didnt exist back then, it was 123/J :lol: but i take your point, he was a top national rider, who i never quite managed to beat ha ha.

But what you and JGSI have nt acknowledged is that i never said age has nothing to do with it, i just think that as you age you also need to change your balance of training to slow this decline and too many riders are content with doing the opposite eg do longer riders at the expense of the far harder efforts.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    Clearly there is some decline due to age alone, otherwise we would be seeing 50 year olds and above in the pro peloton.. The question is whether it's necessarily profound and with big elements of non-linearity (e.g. a sudden bigger decline after a certain age) or just fairly small and very gradual. Just a tiny difference will be enough to prevent someone competing at the very top level against younger people of course.

I'm going to try my damnedest to keep my current FTP p/w ratio for the next five years.. I'll stick a reminder in google calendar to post back on this thread in five years time to say if I was successful or not.. ;-)
  • reacher
    reacher Posts: 416
    Lookyhere wrote:

For me theirs a mind shift, its much harder to punish yourself continuously in training as you get older, i'v been training since i was 13 years old, not only does the body age it changes and this is linked to what you can make yourself do, putting odd examples up of someone doing something exceptional is not what will happen to the vast majority of athletes. For sure it can be done, its just a lot more painful than when you are younger not to mention the recovery is way more difficult which in turn makes the training harder to do.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    I know the guy in Q, he isnt anything exceptional but what he is very very hard working in all he does, not just cycling. it helps he has the experience too to ride conservatively when needed in a race and he loves his bikes! But hi lighting his achievements goes to show that we can all slow the decline, its just that those with talent and attitude can slow it down a bit more.

For me, as i ve aged, it is as Looki says, you nned to change your training, after years of cycling you ve already an exceptional base, so why spend hours on that? esp if most of your rides or events are less than 3 hours.
    Muscle loss is another thing to consider as is weight gain which seems to affect most of us into middle age.

Its a battle against the inevitable lol
  • reacher
    reacher Posts: 416
    Training hard and doing punishing workouts is all fine and dandy when your young and making progress then comes the point where the progress stops, not too bad to keep on training, but then comes an age where your slipping backwards and every single effort you make is aimed at stopping that slide, that's when it's going to cull the weak from the strong mentally
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Any 60 + geezers racing tomorrow?
  • Hmm, maybe they should try handicapping based on age category, like Nastar for alpine snow skiing?
  • dabber said:

Well some of us use Strava... I'm in the "65 and over" category and wish they would introduce a 70+ category as I reckon the old legs need a bit of encouragement :D

I tnink there is, but you need Premium to see it.

• dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,926

dabber said:

Well some of us use Strava... I'm in the "65 and over" category and wish they would introduce a 70+ category as I reckon the old legs need a bit of encouragement :D

I tnink there is, but you need Premium to see it.

There is now Frank, but not back in 2017 when this thread was originally started.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • OOPS. Should have paid more attention 🤬
  • zest28
    zest28 Posts: 403
    edited April 2020
    There are some fast oldies here in this area who ride those 45 km/h e-bikes.

I sometimes catch them sitting on my wheel and I have seen them doing it to other riders too.

So it is a good thing they don’t use Strava as it is cheating.

Other oldies that I see usually do not ride for performance but they just have a good time. They just do very long distance at a low pace. Nothing wrong with that.

I actually have huge respect for a 90 year old rider I saw together with his wife and a super old bike from the 50’s I think. Since we are in the middle of nowhere, he must have done atleast 50km. And he looked quite weak so it was a huge effort of him. I assume he made it back (so atleast 100km he must have done that day with a crappy old bike)
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,036
    zest28 said:

There are some fast oldies here in this area who ride those 45 km/h e-bikes.

I sometimes catch them sitting on my wheel and I have seen them doing it to other riders too.

So it is a good thing they don’t use Strava as it is cheating.

There is an ebike category for ebike rides.
    See a lot of 55+ on eMTBs locally now - they are probably the only people who can afford them.
    I'm now in the 55+ category :-( but still improving.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    I'm in the 55 category too. Most of my pbs were 6-7 years ago, I haven't worked out why. Nearly everyone I know around my age uses Strava, but not many go out looking for KOMs, we all know the kiddies thirty years younger than us will be taking those.
    I mainly compare myself to myself, and my immediate friends, and I don't normally bother with filtering by age or weight.
    I use a Giant Neostrack bike computer and have noticed it drops out going through wooded sections, much more than the Garmin I used before would. If you know your efforts aren't going to be recorded, it's hard to make that effort!
    Ditchling Beacon, the pros went up on the Tour of Britain in just under 4 minutes. The over 55s KOM is 30 seconds behind, and I'm 2 and half minutes behind that!
  • I’m 62 and have been using Strava for quite a few years. I’m please if my PBs are 2/3 up the overall field. When I paid for Premium I was surprised to see the 2/3 still applied to my age group. I still get the occasional PB because maybe I’m training harder and started using a turbo. Over the period I’ve reduced my max HR from 186 to 178 so interesting that it doesn’t seem to be a limitation.
    I want to climb hills so badly;
    and I climb hills so badly