Mark Cavendish appeals for end to 'vile and threatening' abuse

Bo Duke
Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
edited July 2017 in Pro race
Mark Cavendish appeals for end to 'vile and threatening' abuse after horror crash leads to Peter Sagan disqualification

Mark Cavendish has appealed to social media users to stop sending “vile and threatening” comments to him and to his family after the 60kph-horror smash on Tuesday which forced him to pull out of the Tour de France and led to the hugely-controversial disqualification of double world champion Peter Sagan.

Speaking in a video which he posted on Twitter as he flew home from France on Wednesday night, Cavendish said he was “paying now as a 32 year-old for the petulant attitude I had as a kid”. But he added that that was no reason to take it out on his wife or children.

"Vile and threatening comments on social media to myself and my family isn't deserved and I ask you all to respect that and please don't send vile and abusive language to myself and my family.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cycling/2017 ... ror-crash/
'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP

Comments

• Some people really need to get a grip. It's just bike racing, sending abuse to a riders family? My god, what's wrong with these idiots?
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    Isn't Twitter such a wonderful thing?
    Empowering millions of nobodies, all around the World to abuse, scorn and bully from the safety of their homes.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    see, people complain about the oppressive regimes of China and N Korea .... but at least you know if you are a dick on social media you will end up getting tortured by the government

then again, if you are not a dick the government will end up torturing you
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    Isn't Twitter such a wonderful thing?
    Empowering millions of nobodies, all around the World to abuse, scorn and bully from the safety of their homes.
    A similar thing happened to Ed Sheeran after he played Glastonbury.

There are a lot of spiteful cowards out there willing to hide behind a pathetic pseudonym :( Pathetic.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    It is ridiculous that people can do this vile trolling on social media and forums.... Bo Buke, oxoman, lettingthedaysgoby, Blazing Saddles, fat daddy, Simon E, clearly all Kuntz :)
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I know people don't like it, but this is why things like CNN threatening to Dox that guy who made the Trump wrestling video is useful - Makes people think they're not as anonymous as they like to think.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,133
    They'll get bored with Cavendish and be moving on to that guy with the towel at Wimbledon now.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I'm impressed at Cavendish being aware his younger selfs attitude may be part of the reason why.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,513
    iainf72 wrote:
    I know people don't like it, but this is why things like CNN threatening to Dox that guy who made the Trump wrestling video is useful - Makes people think they're not as anonymous as they like to think.

The media dox enough people. I'd prefer a law against it, but that is one for another thread.
  • Some of the Sagan fans on Twitter have gone the full 'back, and to the left' conspiracy with the slow-mo's and still photos
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    RideOnTime wrote:
    clearly all Kuntz

Bit harsh .... clearly all Kuntz hasn't even posted on this thread !
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    iainf72 wrote:
    I'm impressed at Cavendish being aware his younger selfs attitude may be part of the reason why.

Meh, I think whilst people may say that's the reason for their attitude towards Cavendish, the bottom feeder types who give vile and threatening abuse, would use anything as a justification.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    iainf72 wrote:

I wasn't, well from the perspective that he said he is "32 now" and was "paying for his petulant attitude as a kid". What I mean is his petulance that he correctly admits doesn't go back to him being a kid, he's been that way as an adult. If he's suddenly decided not to be that way then great, but for him to make out he changed this behaviour a long time ago is a joke and completely lacks self-awareness on his part.

I don't think anyone should be sending him abusive messages though, that's not on.
  • The abuse is all over Cav's Insta account too, and also Scott Mitchell's photos of him on Scott's Insta

If this is the level of Sagan's fans, leave me out
  • mfin wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

I wasn't, well from the perspective that he said he is "32 now" and was "paying for his petulant attitude as a kid". What I mean is his petulance that he correctly admits doesn't go back to him being a kid, he's been that way as an adult. If he's suddenly decided not to be that way then great, but for him to make out he changed this behaviour a long time ago is a joke and completely lacks self-awareness on his part.

I don't think anyone should be sending him abusive messages though, that's not on.

Oh please mfin, it really is any excuse with you and your eternal dislike of him
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,878
    Mifin - "kid" doesn't necessarily mean child. It just means when younger.
    But you knew that.
  • moonshine
    moonshine Posts: 1,021
    I actually thought MC came across pretty well, measured and mature in his TV interviews following the crash.
    He was not calling for PS's head on a spike or anything... Saying that PS & him were friends, it was a racing incident and Appreciated PS coming right over to team bus to apologise, spoken to PS on phone. But wanted to know about the elbow. All pretty fair IMO.

Especially considering how sore he must have been and also disappointed at being forced to quit the tour as a result of the injury.

I'm pretty certain many of those who argue the PS DQ was harsh might have been calling for a MC DQ had the positions been reversed.
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    Just not necessary. His missus has just tweeted one of the comments he got for a vid he posted of his little lad playing in the garden.
    i hope your all children get cancer n dyin in pain <3

They really need to change the law so that scumbags like this can be at least silenced.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    The abuse is all over Cav's Insta account too, and also Scott Mitchell's photos of him on Scott's Insta

If this is the level of Sagan's fans, leave me out
    I'd suggest it's trolls rather than actual Sagan fans. Not that the two are necessarily mutually exclusive I suppose.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,924
    Just not necessary. His missus has just tweeted one of the comments he got for a vid he posted of his little lad playing in the garden.

They really need to change the law so that scumbags like this can be at least silenced.

Yes, absolute scum. I keep wondering what they are like if you met them face to face.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • daninexile
    daninexile Posts: 45
    Sickening stuff really.

Some people really don't deserve access to the internet.

The law will change its only a matter of time.
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    Dabber wrote:
    I keep wondering what they are like if you met them face to face.

Not much risk of that, they probably never leave their bedrooms.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,924
    Dabber wrote:
    I keep wondering what they are like if you met them face to face.

Not much risk of that, they probably never leave their bedrooms.

Or perhaps their padded cells.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Dabber wrote:

Yes, absolute scum. I keep wondering what they are like if you met them face to face.

Just like this:

viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=13069802&hilit=Cav+tour+of+britain&start=60
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    Bo Duke wrote:
    Mark Cavendish appeals for end to 'vile and threatening' abuse after horror crash leads to Peter Sagan disqualification

Mark Cavendish has appealed to social media users to stop sending “vile and threatening” comments to him and to his family after the 60kph-horror smash on Tuesday which forced him to pull out of the Tour de France and led to the hugely-controversial disqualification of double world champion Peter Sagan.

Speaking in a video which he posted on Twitter as he flew home from France on Wednesday night, Cavendish said he was “paying now as a 32 year-old for the petulant attitude I had as a kid”. But he added that that was no reason to take it out on his wife or children.

"Vile and threatening comments on social media to myself and my family isn't deserved and I ask you all to respect that and please don't send vile and abusive language to myself and my family.”

Oh right I didn't realise he didn't want it, I'll stop doing it then.

Unfortunately it's part of being famous now, I suspect mentioning it will only fuel the fire.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103

No, freedom of speech is important. I think all social media should enforce real names. Everyone could still say what they want, but then, also, they would be seen for what they are.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    mamil314 wrote:
    No, freedom of speech is important. I think all social media should enforce real names. Everyone could still say what they want, but then, also, they would be seen for what they are.
    What an unusual taste in names you parents had, Mamil. :wink:

(I tend to agree with you. Anonymity has its uses, but they're a rarity)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • mamil314 wrote:

No. Anonymity for some users is vital and potentially saves their lives.
  • mamil314 wrote:

No. Anonymity for some users is vital and potentially saves their lives.

Not when it comes to espousing hate speech or hurling hateful abuse
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    mfin wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Oh please mfin, it really is any excuse with you and your eternal dislike of him

I believe I am right in what I said there, regardless of any like or dislike of Cavendish.

A friend put it better, he said it's wrong as it is like a lion that's full up saying "I understand some zebras don't like me cos I used to eat zebras".

Anyway, I did say that the sending of abusive messages is wrong.