Forum home Family & kids cycling forum

Child seat on CX bike

Clarke_111Clarke_111 Posts: 22
Hi all,

Not been here for some time but came back to see if people can help me out with some advice.

I am a road cyclist at heart but now have a 2 year old daughter to attach onto my bike-so clearly my carbon race bike is out. I have a MTB with a child seat mounted on (via seat tube), but don't get a lot of joy riding it on the road. Was looking at getting a cx bike, specifically the Boardman CX team on C2W.

Would the bike be up to attaching a child seat-anyone use a cx bike for this?

Thanks

Chris

• natrixnatrix Posts: 1,111
    Personally I wouldn't use a CX bike with a child seat. Would putting slicks on your mountain bike improve things??
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • oxomanoxoman Posts: 9,723
    As Natrix says, use the mtb. I found the handlebars on a road bike to narrow to handle easily a kiddy seat, way easier with wider straight bars on the mtb. Kids tend to move and lean so can be hard to counteract unless your really strong.
    Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
  • fat daddyfat daddy Posts: 2,605
    yeah, a cx bike will be fine with a kiddy seat on it .... but having spent the last 5 years strapping the kid to my bikes, having wide flat bars is a lot easier all round ... as is fatter tyres, disc brakes and a granny gear for those days you hit a stupid climb and realise you cant get out the saddle
  • slowbikeslowbike Posts: 8,498
    I go along with Fat Daddy ... CX will be fine ...

Although I agree wider handlebars are easier, Disc brakes are handy and a granny gear for the numerous 16% gradients you come across with a child on the back are useful.

Wider bars - because yes, she will throw her weight around as she sees something of interest.
    Disc brakes - although I haven't got these on my CX, I do have them on my 29er (hydrolic) and I wish I had them on my CX (bought before LSB came along).
    Granny gears - Oh Yes! - if you want extra training - just add 15-20Kg to the back of your bike ...

The other bits you need to look out for are - chainstay length - the bikeseat and child moves the center of gravity back - make sure it's not too far back. & Riding whilst they sleep - why oh why do they always chose to sleep just as you come across a steep section - you have to keep the bike very stable otherwise their heads just roll - so no rocking the bike as you attempt that steep bit - yes, you have to know when to stop and walk!

But all that said - I'm as happy riding with LSB on my 29er as I am my CX - the pace is relaxed eitherway - I tend to take the CX though as I can remove the seat and have a reasonable solo "training" ride ...