Child seat on CX bike

Clarke_111
Clarke_111 Posts: 22
Hi all,

Not been here for some time but came back to see if people can help me out with some advice.

I am a road cyclist at heart but now have a 2 year old daughter to attach onto my bike-so clearly my carbon race bike is out. I have a MTB with a child seat mounted on (via seat tube), but don't get a lot of joy riding it on the road. Was looking at getting a cx bike, specifically the Boardman CX team on C2W.

Would the bike be up to attaching a child seat-anyone use a cx bike for this?

Thanks

Chris

Comments

• natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    Personally I wouldn't use a CX bike with a child seat. Would putting slicks on your mountain bike improve things??
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    yeah, a cx bike will be fine with a kiddy seat on it .... but having spent the last 5 years strapping the kid to my bikes, having wide flat bars is a lot easier all round ... as is fatter tyres, disc brakes and a granny gear for those days you hit a stupid climb and realise you cant get out the saddle
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I go along with Fat Daddy ... CX will be fine ...

Although I agree wider handlebars are easier, Disc brakes are handy and a granny gear for the numerous 16% gradients you come across with a child on the back are useful.

Wider bars - because yes, she will throw her weight around as she sees something of interest.
    Disc brakes - although I haven't got these on my CX, I do have them on my 29er (hydrolic) and I wish I had them on my CX (bought before LSB came along).
    Granny gears - Oh Yes! - if you want extra training - just add 15-20Kg to the back of your bike ...

The other bits you need to look out for are - chainstay length - the bikeseat and child moves the center of gravity back - make sure it's not too far back. & Riding whilst they sleep - why oh why do they always chose to sleep just as you come across a steep section - you have to keep the bike very stable otherwise their heads just roll - so no rocking the bike as you attempt that steep bit - yes, you have to know when to stop and walk!

But all that said - I'm as happy riding with LSB on my 29er as I am my CX - the pace is relaxed eitherway - I tend to take the CX though as I can remove the seat and have a reasonable solo "training" ride ...