above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    49111ba0-11af-4485-ad2f-c959f69a951a_zpswq4pf9ao.png

I've come to ride at the back with you again
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    RichN95 wrote:
    Apparently the finish is where they filmed a James Bond film. After two dull days hope for a lot of action tomorrow never dies. Froome will want his team to beat the living daylights out of his opponents with a view to kill them off before the weekend. The spectre of Aru looms though ready to take yellow should Sky fall. With good weather, no rain or thunder, ball to the wall descending from Bardet could take him from bronze position to gold. Finger and wrist problems for Fuglsang after his crash - we await the update from the team doctor. No such problems for Uran and Martin will want a win as having the best sprinter in the world is not enough for Quick Step. Contador will want a good performance to provide a quantum of solace to his dejected fans. Or maybe the break will live and let Di Data's Cummings have a chance

This was a tour de Fra-, Tour de farc- tour de something, anyway. What an effort!
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    RichN95 wrote:
    Apparently the finish is where they filmed a James Bond film. After two dull days hope for a lot of action tomorrow never dies. Froome will want his team to beat the living daylights out of his opponents with a view to kill them off before the weekend. The spectre of Aru looms though ready to take yellow should Sky fall. With good weather, no rain or thunder, ball to the wall descending from Bardet could take him from bronze position to gold. Finger and wrist problems for Fuglsang after his crash - we await the update from the team doctor. No such problems for Uran and Martin will want a win as having the best sprinter in the world is not enough for Quick Step. Contador will want a good performance to provide a quantum of solace to his dejected fans. Or maybe the break will live and let Di Data's Cummings have a chance

This was a tour de Fra-, Tour de farc- tour de something, anyway. What an effort!

Hopefully, others will take time to read it, otherwise it was for your eyes only.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    dish_dash wrote:
    What is that man doing to our Arthur? :shock:

Touching him... Arthur doesn't like being touched.

Afraid his tan will rub off.
  • above_the_cows
    Pross wrote:
    Don't think Nairo will try the double ever again.

It would be something if he tried the single
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Someone miscounted the riders ahead of Mathews at the finish. He bust a nut to ensure a couple of points, but came in 16th. There were 2 pts for 15th place. I wouldn't want to be his DS this evening.

Probably an innocent explanation for miscounting.

Was one of them Zubeldia?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    RichN95 wrote:
    DE2ZBiGXYAEmVE6.jpg
    I thought ITV4 were showing a repeat of Steptoe and Son.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312
    RichN95 wrote:
    Here's the thing with print media - the journalists need to protect their need to be there

Fotheringham was mentioned earlier. Here's his report for today: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/ ... ris-froome

All of that could be easily written by any of us sitting on our sofa watching TV and reading twitter (we would also see the whole stage and be able to rewind for a second look). There's only twenty words of quotes from anyone, which could be lifted off TV too. And most people who are likely to read it have watched the race themselves. Yet he's paid wages and expenses by a newspaper that haemorrhages money. So to justify his presence in France he needs 'on the ground' events, so they need to be manufactured if necessary.
    Not humorous, but truth bombs qualify too! :wink:
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    From halfway up Izoard:
    imatfaal wrote:
    Froome still has more team-mates called Mike than any one else has teammates
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • above_the_cows
    ^That one was absolutely brilliant.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    I'm not going to repost them all here, but underlayunderlay's literary pastiches in the Lanterne Rouge thread are rather good.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,066

He'd seen too many good men fall by the roadside in his career. Men like Geraint Thomas, who they'd lost in the Italian campaign. Men like Geraint Thomas, who they'd lost in France. Men like Geraint Thomas, who was last seen falling into a ditch in Gent. It was funny, Rowe thought, but when he looked back now his memory somehow made all those faces look the same. Perhaps it was just the effects of the roasting Alpine sun.

I've been back to read this about half a dozen times today and each time I have a little giggle to myself...
  • above_the_cows
    It is amazing. I also giggle every time.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    He should win it just for Herr Gel alone IMO
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    jam1e wrote:

He'd seen too many good men fall by the roadside in his career. Men like Geraint Thomas, who they'd lost in the Italian campaign. Men like Geraint Thomas, who they'd lost in France. Men like Geraint Thomas, who was last seen falling into a ditch in Gent. It was funny, Rowe thought, but when he looked back now his memory somehow made all those faces look the same. Perhaps it was just the effects of the roasting Alpine sun.

I've been back to read this about half a dozen times today and each time I have a little giggle to myself...

They've all been good, but that one was imply superb.
  • above_the_cows
    OK folks, I know the Tour isn't over but I'm going to suggest that Carpet Man wins this year's Post of the Tour for his collective effort on GC.

What say you all?
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    No contest for me, Clive
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    OK folks, I know the Tour isn't over but I'm going to suggest that Carpet Man wins this year's Post of the Tour for his collective effort on GC.

What say you all?

It isn't just funny and quality writing for an internet forum; Underlayunderlay's Lanterne Rouge thread has been the funniest writing I have seen about sport for a long time. The Geraint Thomas bit quoted above was excellent and still makes me chuckle; I am pretty sure I will never watch G riding without thinking about that para - especially if he keeps crashing
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Clearly there's no contest, Carpetbottom walks it. BUT.....

I have a sneaking suspicion that tradition is that Lanterne Rouge posts aren't actually eligible for this contest. Lanterne Rouge is the GC of the tour, Post of The Tour is more like a green jersey or maybe a combativity award.

I think it's worth keeping it like that for us also-rans.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    I'm humbled - and slightly baffled - by the kind comments, but do agree. The LR thread is basically three weeks spent bludgeoning you all into laughter via Stockholm syndrome. There's far more craft and skill in nailing the one line zinger, and quite a few of you are better at those than I am.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    And he's modest, too :D
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I've enjoyed the LR thread too, but if it becomes eligible for PotT, then it'll end up being like Peter Sagan and the Green Jersey. The only way anyone else will ever win is if underlayunderlay is excluded one year for violent conduct!
  • above_the_cows
    What we need is a Combination Jersey.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    It's a sad day when the bloody pros start chipping in with contenders for POTT:
    RichN95 wrote:
    RP1lgN4.png?1
  • above_the_cows
    It's a sad day when the bloody pros start chipping in with contenders for POTT:
    RichN95 wrote:
    RP1lgN4.png?1

It's alright Carpet Man your title is safe from MY MAN Kwiato.
  • m.r.m.
    Chapeau Underlay! Was/is truly epic. Do not believe it is optional for the coming Vuelta! :wink:
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 4,993
    So are we applying 'no contest on the last day' rules then?
    Cos I still chuckle about this one from Paris 2013:
    Having seen the way Froome handles a cigar and a glass of booze I'm starting to doubt whether he's seen Michelle naked yet.
  • m.r.m.
    Solid entry for sure, but the "grizzled road captain" and "Herr Gel" are in a different league.
  • above_the_cows
    Carpet Man takes it. It's official. No appeal.