Speed restriction re Roof Racks.

plowmar
plowmar Posts: 1,032
edited July 2017 in Road general
For first time am taking bikes with me on holiday. Only thing that concerns me is, is there a recommended maximum speed I should adhere to with two bikes on the roof?.

Bike sites don't seem to cover this part other than how strong their roof racks are.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The speed limit.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Man Of Lard
    Man Of Lard Posts: 903
    The speed limit, or any lower limit imposed by the manufacturer.
  • plowmar
    Thanks guys, but as I indicated the makers don't give any indication, and obviously ;) I wouldn't be breaking the speed limit.
  • andcp
    andcp Posts: 644
    Don't know what you're buying, but for the Freeride (their cheapest option) Thule state a max speed of 130 km/h (80 mph).
    "It must be true, it's on the internet" - Winston Churchill
  • davesnothere
    davesnothere Posts: 620
    I've done well over 100mph with mountain bikes on Thule ProRide on top of my old Subaru Outback without a problem coming back from the continent
    GET WHEEZY - WALNUT LUNG RACING TEAM™
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    If its a carbon road bike I would not be putting it on the roof.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841

Any reason why not? I know some manufacturers specifically advise not to use their bikes on a turbo but I haven't seen anything that rules out roof racks, or did I miss [ironic] [/ironic]??
  • craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    Because if it rains they'll melt, obviously.

It's fine, just be sensible about how you attach them to the roof.
  • roubaixmb
    roubaixmb Posts: 182
    Thule say 80mph.
  • darkhairedlord
    Bobbinogs wrote:

Any reason why not? I know some manufacturers specifically advise not to use their bikes on a turbo but I haven't seen anything that rules out roof racks, or did I miss [ironic] [/ironic]??

Specifically, the method of attachment. Where they clamp around the frame with an arm. Carbon bikes (or any light-weight engineered structure) are designed to carry the forces in use with wall thickness reduced where loading is reduced. They simply aren't designed to be clamped around the frame or receive side loading on the down-tube or seat-tube.
    And they'll melt if it rains.
  • plowmar
    Thanks question answered. Bought rack via Audi who have Thule make them.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Bobbinogs wrote:

Specifically, the method of attachment. Where they clamp around the frame with an arm. Carbon bikes (or any light-weight engineered structure) are designed to carry the forces in use with wall thickness reduced where loading is reduced. They simply aren't designed to be clamped around the frame or receive side loading on the down-tube or seat-tube.

yeah, makes sense, well most of it ;-)

I guess the thule outride (fork and back wheel clamp) would be the safest then??
  • johnmiosh
    johnmiosh Posts: 211
    I was advised that the best way was to wrap a pad around the down tube to spread the load and provide friction so it would not need to be so tightly clamped. The first time I tried it on a carbon frame, I could see the tube being squashed. I stopped and got one of these instead.

http://www.elite-it.com/en/products/gb/ ... -tour-lock

Should be able to get one for about thirty quid. A matching wheel carrier is also available, but that adds another thirty quid on top.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Bobbinogs wrote:

I wouldn't think the loading at the clamp point is going to produce massive force - the wheels/fork are clamped to the rack and the arm is to keep the bike upright - it's a reasonable size clamp so no point loading and side to side forces are minimal - it's not an F1 car ... !
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    Slowbike wrote:
    I wouldn't think the loading at the clamp point is going to produce massive !

never underestimate the ham fistedness of people.

you can happily and safely secure a carbon frame with a roof mount, BUT, and the manufacturers know this, there is nothing to stop you from keep on turning that screw until you dent and splinter the crap out of your frame, and then decide its Thule that's at fault and try claiming for your frame.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    fat daddy wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    I wouldn't think the loading at the clamp point is going to produce massive !

never underestimate the ham fistedness of people.

you can happily and safely secure a carbon frame with a roof mount, BUT, and the manufacturers know this, there is nothing to stop you from keep on turning that screw until you dent and splinter the crap out of your frame, and then decide its Thule that's at fault and try claiming for your frame.

Hmmm - I use a bike stand with quick release clamp on the top tube of my bikes - including carbon one - I'd have to be pretty ham fisted to over tighten it to the point of damage .. but yes - I get your point - there are some people out there with carbon frames who are denser than their frames! ;)
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    BUT, and the manufacturers know this, there is nothing to stop you from keep on turning that screw until you dent and splinter the crap out of your frame, and then decide its Thule that's at fault and try claiming for your frame.

Which is why roofrack manufacturers put a huge disclaimer on there to absolve themselves from claims when someone ham-fistedly crunches their frame in a clamp. I'd be far more worried about height restrictions, low-hanging trees than speed.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Bobbinogs wrote:

Team%20Sky%20car%20%28copyright%20Andy%20Cunningham%20via%20Flickr%29.jpg?itok=M97gMs-x
  • darkhairedlord
    Imposter wrote:
    Bobbinogs wrote:

Team%20Sky%20car%20%28copyright%20Andy%20Cunningham%20via%20Flickr%29.jpg?itok=M97gMs-x
    They get free bikes. It's not raining. They only go 30mph.
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    Thule Outride, two very expensive carbon bikes, over 100mph at times, and for hours at 80mph (Rome and Back, and Lorient and back). No issues at all apart from dead flies all over the front of the bikes.

PS I'd be very wary of the roof mount that clamps on the down tube. I've seen some terrifying instances of bikes 'fluttering', shaking themselves violently mounted on car roofs at motorway speed.
  • scopes15
    scopes15 Posts: 84
    I have damaged a carbon frame on a roof rack before - I think it might have been a cheaper halfords bike carrier that clamps the downtube. Not sure if the clamp was overtightened or that the bike was left on the carrier overnight with the wind battering it that caused the damage.
  • proto
    Bloke turned up today at work with one of these, Yakima Front Loader. Very impressive. Bike rock solid and no carbon/clamp interface.

Web_Test_Yakima-2.jpg
  • davesnothere
    davesnothere Posts: 620
    proto wrote:
    Bloke turned up today at work with one of these, Yakima Front Loader. Very impressive. Bike rock solid and no carbon/clamp interface.

Web_Test_Yakima-2.jpg

Looks a good solution, presume there is adjustment for narrower road wheels?
    GET WHEEZY - WALNUT LUNG RACING TEAM™
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    If you get an aero road bike, will it improve your fuel consumption when it's on the roof rack?
  • bobmcstuff wrote:
    If you get an aero road bike, will it improve your fuel consumption when it's on the roof rack?

No, but it might decrease drag above the car sufficiently to create lift, thereby giving you a flying car...
  • Newest Thule ProRide has thick soft jaws on the down tube clamp. Only carbon you'd need to worry about damaging is if you have deep section wheels. If travelling at motorway speeds in the rain it's worth securing something around your headset to help stop water getting in though.
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    RoubaixMB wrote:
    Thule say 80mph.

Same with the Saris Bones bike rack.

However I'm more p!ssed that the bike rack feet definitely damaged the paintwork on my car that any potential damage it could cause to the bike frame.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • js14
    js14 Posts: 198
    proto wrote:
    Thule Outride, two very expensive carbon bikes, over 100mph at times, and for hours at 80mph (Rome and Back, and Lorient and back). No issues at all apart from dead flies all over the front of the bikes.
    The Thule website says that the Outride isn't suitable for carbon frame bikes, but maybe they are being over cautious. Instead they say to use the Sprint XT, which is obviously a lot more expensive! Has anyone got any experience of the (revised, post-recall) Sprint XT bike carrier? Thules' support page also recommends several other of their products for bikes with carbon frames : https://support.thule.com/hc/en-gb/articles/214350465-Can-I-mount-a-carbon-bike-on-a-Thule-bike-rack-
  • mr_mojo
    mr_mojo Posts: 200
    I've just bought a Thule Sprint XT but not used it yet so can't comment. I'll be using it on a Colnago C60 so hopefully it'll be ok!
  • proto
    JS14 wrote:
    proto wrote:
    The Thule website says that the Outride isn't suitable for carbon frame bikes, but maybe they are being over cautious. Instead they say to use the Sprint XT, which is obviously a lot more expensive! Has anyone got any experience of the (revised, post-recall) Sprint XT bike carrier? Thules' support page also recommends several other of their products for bikes with carbon frames : https://support.thule.com/hc/en-gb/articles/214350465-Can-I-mount-a-carbon-bike-on-a-Thule-bike-rack-

Sprint XT didn't exist when I bought my Outride. As a professional engineer, with a lifetime of experience (I'm 64), I cannot see any reason why they should exclude carbon frames. Complete nonsense.

BTW bikes on roof C59 and Edmonda SLR, each alone worth more than the car (SAAB 9-5 estate)