wednesday when the universe was young

13»

Comments

• team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    edited June 2017
    Long lunch with some Italian friends lazy afternoon may need a day off tomorrow :D

Just tested blood glucose and injected some more insulin, now I have to eat enough to keep me going until 7.30am when I can eat again, it's all go :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,330
    Yep, don't overdo things T47.

I'm starting the arch tomorrow :D
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Good luck with the arch, need photos :D

Mmm cheese and crackers...
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,532
    seanoconn wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:
    Can anyone in the south of England recommend me a decent fan? One that puts out a reasonable amount of cool air and is quiet enough to leave on at night (if there is such a thing) thanks.
    Tesco tower fans. £20 a pop.
    Does it put out a reasonable amount of cool air and is quiet enough to leave on at night?

The rest of you are about as useful as an ejector seat in a helicopter.

from umpty time in the tropical sticks (iffy power and aircon a remote dream), i found a big ceiling fan worked best, they move a lot of air at low speed so it is comfortable and quiet

you do need a ceiling high enough to avoid accidental lobotomy or decapitation
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,401
    team47b wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:
    Can anyone in the south of England recommend me a decent fan? One that puts out a reasonable amount of cool air and is quiet enough to leave on at night (if there is such a thing) thanks.

I used to live in the south of England so have some experience of the intense heat that can be experienced there, you have my sympathy :D
    :lol: feck off.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,401
    sungod wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:
    Tesco tower fans. £20 a pop.
    Does it put out a reasonable amount of cool air and is quiet enough to leave on at night?

The rest of you are about as useful as an ejector seat in a helicopter.

from umpty time in the tropical sticks (iffy power and aircon a remote dream), i found a big ceiling fan worked best, they move a lot of air at low speed so it is comfortable and quiet

you do need a ceiling high enough to avoid accidental lobotomy or decapitation
    Thanks. The temptation for some Indiana Jones type game would be too much for my boys.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,480
    Looks like T47 has moved to the sort of place that Sungod used to live :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • sungod
    seanoconn wrote:
    Thanks. The temptation for some Indiana Jones type game would be too much for my boys.

i'm not seeing the downside here :D
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Looks like T47 has moved to the sort of place that Sungod used to live :)

i think once you learn to sleep in a room hotter than body temperature it changes you, t47 has it right, i increasingly ponder a move to somewhere warmer

at twelve noon the natives swoon and no further work is done,
    but mad dogs and englishmen go out in the midday sun

which is how i got my nickname
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,330
    Not sure about the 40 deg + daytime temperatures and 30 deg at night I experienced in Malindi one Easter during the rainy season. Coupled with humidity that turned almost everything green in a matter of hours. Low pressure + heat = doldrums. The only cure was Coconut milk.
    There was always a happy local to shimmy up a tree and get one for you. I'm glad Rick Chasey is not here to pull me up for the apparent racism and suppression of a people by horrible ex-colonialists armed with whips; exposing native's to falling, snakes and machete wounds.
    (They did get paid for the Coconut and it was well after independence. We never did witness a fall or even hear about one).

The Mosquito nets prevented the fan from moving the hot air around the room. Both were totally ineffectual anyway.
    Mosquito sound before blood extraction. very high pitched tztztztztztztztztz then after extraction, low pitched bzzzzzzzzzzzz. Easy, slow target squashed between two clapping hands and the resultant squish/mess, mostly of you own blood.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • sungod
    bloody coconuts are a menace, nearly got brained when a palm dropped a cluster right next to me, if the ground is hard they can bounce a long way as well

under tight control and filled with rum they are ok though
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,480
    Don't like trying to sleep when its hot. That's one of the beauties of the UK, not having to bother about that for a good 11 months of the year.

Last time I was anywhere that hot falling coconuts weren't the only hazard, it was Manchineel trees as well - poisonous fruit that looks like pears and apparently you couldn't even touch them without coming out in a rash. They had to mark them with a big red X to keep the tourists safe.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]