Trek Fuel EX 7 or Scott Spark 950

Initialised
Initialised Posts: 3,047
edited June 2017 in MTB buying advice
I'm looking to get a short travel dual suspension bike for a mix of fun on local trails (Hamsterly, Guisborough, Chopwell, Pennines, Northumberland, Northyork Moors, Cleveland Hills) and to use for longer rides e.g. Keilder 101, Hampsterly Beast, Ridgeway, Sandstone Way, Clenell Collosus.

I currently ride a VooDoo HooDoo 2013 (the one with the great reviews and an air fork) which has done it's job as an entry level bike but is a size too small and could use new wheels, better fork and brakes. So rather than make the best of a wrong bike I'm looking at the Trek EX 7 and Scott Spark 950.

What does the hive mind have to say on the subject?
I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.

Comments

• Batmanjnr
    Batmanjnr Posts: 5
    All i can say is i liked my fuel ex 7 !
  • Initialised
    It looks like I can't get the Fuel, sold out in 19.5 until the 2018 model comes out.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Your Trek is rather Marmite, I find the rear feels rather 'remote' and mushy and don't like it, others think it great.

I prefer an FS to feel more like a comfy HT than that.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Bill1973
    Bill1973 Posts: 3
    Cycle surgery on their web site have few Trek Fuel EX 7 available.
  • Initialised
    I ended up getting the 2018 Fuel EX 8 Eagle 29er. Pick it up Saturday.