Punctures and courage

CupcakeLeeds
CupcakeLeeds Posts: 2
edited June 2017 in Road beginners
I got a Pinnacle Lithium 2 2017 through the cycle to work scheme at the end of last year, commute is 5 miles almost flat, about 90% cycle lane door to door. I haven't as yet plucked up the courage to cycle in yet. Concerns are; punctures and fitness, but mostly punctures.
So the tyres are Continental Sport Contact II, I can't find a great deal about them online, and most definitely can't find anything decent about how to remove the brakes on the bike itself, so I've just buried my head in the sand in regards to not learning how to fix a puncture if/when I get one.

Can anyone point me in the direction of where to get some decent info, without going back to the shop I got the bike from (because that would mean cycling there)

Also, would any puncture repair kit work on these tyres?

Am I being a plonker? Should I just rock up to my nearest bike shop and get some help?

Thanks

Comments

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Go to your local bike shop and get them to fit some puncture resistant tyres like Marathon Plus and, as they do it, they could show you how to fix a puncture on the first tyre. Then you do the second tyre. In the meantime carry a phone with you and, if you have no significant other or friend who would rescue you in the event of a flat, call a cab. Then start cycling. You'll al it's never have a puncture anyway.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • *insert standard Global Cycling Network on YouTube recommendation here*

:)
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Go onto internet.

Look up:
    Tyre sealant

Tyre foam

Google YouTube and see how its done.

Then book onto 2 day home mechanics course and cover the basics so you're fully prepared.

Don't worry about looking silly as everyone had to start somewhere.

Simple as, spotty dog.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    You are not alone in this situation.
    In past days when everyone had a bike , how to fix a bike was knowledge passed down from dad, older brother... even mother as long as you didnt nick a best spoon for a tyre change.
    Nowadays, well best to Google Basic Cycle Maintenance courses for your area. That shop might be of help.
    Sorting a bike isnt rocket science but you do need guidance to help you start and build confidence to ride a few miles .
  • I've learned everything - literally everything - I know about fixing a bike from YouTube and Google, and I'm at the stage where the only thing I've not done is wheel truing and frame repair. So I'd second the above suggestions - get your local bike shop to fit some puncture resistant tyres that you're confident enough to cycle on (plenty of recommendations available), then get cracking. You can pick up the mechanical skills at your leisure then.

Not sure about yours, but my work would charge me £40 a month for parking, and if you factor in petrol and car wear new tyres would equate to a few days of driving instead of cycling.
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    I bought Schwalbe marathon plus tyres last summer for my first cycle tour. Took them off end of winter this year. They are very hard to puncture. I've ridden over broken glass, shards of broken wing mirrors, sharp metal fragments, etc. Never had any punctures. They never even looked like they'd had any wear too.

I'm now on vittoria voyager hypers. They're pretty good with puncture protection but roll better I think.

Take it to your bike shop if you're not confident about changing tyres. Although I'd certainly Google how to change marathon plus tyres. Not easy to get on and off. Of course you'd probably have little excuse to take them off for a very long time. Most bike shops will charge about £5 per tyre.

How far away is your bike shop away from you? If close enough you could walk your bike over to get marathon tyres put on then ride the long way home.
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    YouTube and practice in the comfort of your own home/garden. I knew the rough method from having ridden ad a boy, but when I started riding again I thought I'd better practice. Now it's warm it's an ideal time to sit in the garden and swapping tubes out and refitting the tyres. Takes a while to get the knack but you'll get there, we were all new once.
    Another option is to go tubeless, there's a steep initial outlay if you're wheels aren't tubeless compatible but it could be worth it. (Google tubeless road systems)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Seriously?

Worst comes to worst, 5 miles is a walk of an hour or less.

Or is someone perhaps taking the p1ss?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • fudgey
    fudgey Posts: 854
    Fwiw i used continental sport contact 2's for a year/3000 miles in all weather and had maybe 3 punctures till they wore out and were replaced with more of the same.

Carry with you a spare tube, tyre levers and a pump. Fix the holed tube at home and keep as the spare.
    My winter bike is exactly the same as my summer bike,,, but dirty...
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Marathon plus tyres are bombproof. I'd get those and your worries are over.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Buy a puncture outfit and three tyre levers from somewhere, watch a couple of Youtube vids to see how it's then, then go in to your back garden and poke a needle through your front tyre to create a puncture. Then do what the YT vid shows. You will genuinely be amazed at how easy it is.

Seriously, people have been doing this for over 100 years, in kitchens, country roads, main roads, rain storms, snow, all sorts. Doing it in a sunny back garden will be your best start point.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776
    cooldad wrote:
    Seriously?

You can walk at 5mph+ in cleats?
    Chapeau! That's Chris Froome pace. :lol:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,845
    Got my first puncture while commuting last Saturday, first one in years (2008?), hence I had become very complacent at not carrying a spare tube; tyre lever; pump. It took me ~62mins to walk ~4.5 miles home in trainers (Wazoo has flat pedals).

It did bring to focus the need to carry such backup kit, given I'm now doing regular 20+ mile recreational rides on the Cube, walking home with a flat from near Winchester would take in excess of 3 hours!
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    PBlakeney wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    Seriously?

I somehow doubt that the OP is a cleat user....
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    5mph pushing a bike and carrying a rucksack with a change of clothes for your commute? Some effort that. Naismith's rule is something like 3mph plus time added for gradients.

Of course what you meant was probably that it's a 5 mile commute so wherever you puncture on the route it's only going to be up to 2.5 miles to work or home which is an hour or less walk. Assuming you're fit and wearing good flat shoes like trainers.

Of course the op sounds like a new cyclist so it's probably safe to assume flats and trainers plus rucksack not panniers. 2.5 miles worst case scenario for a puncture walk, more likely less. IME punctures on a commute tend to happen near work (dodgy roads/industrial estate) or near home (dodgy roads). In the middle it's good roads and clean roads mostly.

Of course if that isn't acceptable then marathon plus tyres. It's like armoured tyres for the bike. I ride through the Autumn hedge trimmings without fear. Monday morning/post bank holiday rides through broken glass beer and Smirnoff ice bottles hah! Post mischief night broken wing mirrors (not my handiwork) marathon plus tyres don't even notice. Handful of thumb tacks (seriously I went over them, I wasn't concentrating, it was a morning and I had only had 2 coffees) didn't do anything. Although not advisable to try it, I was probably lucky.
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    You don't need to remove the brakes.

edit actually you do opps :oops:

It's easy. Here's how:

1. Pull boot off rubber boot.

Pull the rubber boot off the metal noodle, to the other side of the brake cable.

2. Squeeze brake arms together.

Squeeze the brake arms together to put slack in the cable.

3. Unhook noodle.

Unhook the noodle and flip the metal holder downward, making space between the two brake arms.

Now, to hook it back in:

1. Squeeze arms together.

Squeeze the brake arms together and flip the metal holster back into place.

2. Hook the noodle.

Hook the noodle back into position, and then release the brake arms so the noodle clicks into place.

3. Push boot back to proper place.

Push the rubber boot back so it covers the end of the metal noodle.
  • craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    No offense, but not riding your bike to work in case you get a puncture is a bit like not wanting to drive to work in case your car breaks down and you can't fix it at the road side.

Just get on with it.
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    There are some completely puncture proof "solid" tyres you could go for. Personally I've never been convinced, but they've had some good reviews on here, and a colleague of mine swears by them. I'm sure a local bike shop would sell and fit them for you, then you'd never have a puncture.

"Bon courage"
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    PBlakeney wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    Seriously?

This is the bike. I doubt the OP is wearing full lycra and cleats.

https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-li ... ApnC8P8HAQ

Probably should have been in the commuting section.

I say taking the p1ss. Haven't heard from the strange body building chap in a while...
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Joshgav
    Joshgav Posts: 158
    One word (depending on where you live)...Uber

If you ever get stuck, which should be a rarity just call a cab. You will have saved more than the cost of a solitary cab ride on your cycle commuting. I would recommend getting some decent wet weather gear too.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776
    cooldad wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    Seriously?

This is the bike. I doubt the OP is wearing full lycra and cleats.

https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-li ... ApnC8P8HAQ

Probably should have been in the commuting section.

I say taking the p1ss. Haven't heard from the strange body building chap in a while...
    I wasn't addressing the OP.
    The true answer is either taking the piss, or taxi.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • myideal
    myideal Posts: 231
    I got my first one in ages the other day. Bloody rock in the road , hit it and that awful hissing noise as it deflated so quickly.

I had those self adhesive patches with me, however for snake bite impact punctures I'm not convinced on them. The bloody thing wouldn't cover both and two patches just wouldn't stick.

In the end it was the old tie a knot in the tube trick that got me limping back home. Surprised.it actually works and in fairness probably could have gone quicker than I did on the way home.

Safe to say, I'm now back to two spare tubes on all rides with me.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    myideal wrote:
    I got my first one in ages the other day. Bloody rock in the road , hit it and that awful hissing noise as it deflated so quickly.

I had those self adhesive patches with me, however for snake bite impact punctures I'm not convinced on them. The bloody thing wouldn't cover both and two patches just wouldn't stick.

In the end it was the old tie a knot in the tube trick that got me limping back home. Surprised.it actually works and in fairness probably could have gone quicker than I did on the way home.

Safe to say, I'm now back to two spare tubes on all rides with me.

Yes I have been there. I could not fix a snake bite with several self adhesive patches either. I carry two tubes now.
  • myideal
    Do the self adhesive patches tend to work usually? This was my first experience of using and wasn't the best advert for them.
  • ZMC888
    ZMC888 Posts: 292
    One of the riders in the Indian Pacific wheel race did the whole thing on Continental GP 4 Seasons, 5,500kms no punctures. They are a lot quicker than the marathons and and Durano Double defence etc
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    The puncture thing is pure pot luck.

Ive used Conti GatorHardshell tyres that I considered puncture resistant. I'd get 2 or 3 punctures in a week then the next week, noting.
    It doesnt help when the cycle lane I commute on looks like it isn't swept of broken glass (deliberate?) and debris.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • myideal
    Well today noticed that the Swalabee Lugwango fitted to the bike from new clearly do work on active puncture guard. Noticed a fairly large gash in the tyre, but clearly the glass (guessing) couslkt get past the protective belt.

But again it's just pure luck as somewhere else and it could have been a puncture.
  • ZMC888
    ZMC888 Posts: 292
    My opinion is that if you go to the level of Conti GP4 season or more protected, then you can massively reduce the chances of getting a puncture or slash vs running a GP4000S2, Specialized Turbo 'fast tire' etc.

From fairly well protected to (GP4 season) to 'ultra' protected (Schwalbe Durano Plus, Conti Gatorskin hardshell etc), it just doesn't seem to make that much difference and is somewhat of a crapshoot. The puncture fairy either loves or hates you.
  • davesnothere
    davesnothere Posts: 620
    myideal wrote:
    Do the self adhesive patches tend to work usually? This was my first experience of using and wasn't the best advert for them.

For a proper puncture (nail etc) then yes they do work. More effective if you get the tube refitted and inflated quickly.
    GET WHEEZY - WALNUT LUNG RACING TEAM™
  • myideal
    myideal wrote:

For a proper puncture (nail etc) then yes they do work. More effective if you get the tube refitted and inflated quickly.

Oh so patch it and then wack it back in the inner tube then before inflation. See I usually like to test by inflating before putting it back.