Forum home Mountain biking forum MTB buying advice

Help With New Bike Purchase.

DonLykeBDonLykeB Posts: 34
edited May 2017 in MTB buying advice
Hello,

I've recently purchased a new bike, and I'm picking it up on Thursday. Here's the bike. http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/m ... -27-5-2016

My question is, is it a good bike. I know this will ultimately be down to whether I personally like the feel of it but spec wise is there anything better for the money, and would you consider this a decent or good mountain bike, bare in mind this bike was £650 through 2016 and has only reduced recently to clear stock.

My main uses will be riding through country side, light tracks and riding through town. Nothing crazy to justify a full suspension.

I am asking this because I see a lot of people claim 'Any bike under £1000 (Even Hardtails) are worthless)'.

TLDR: Is it a good bike, and will it last me through at least 5 years with proper maintenance.

Many Thanks Everyone :)

• simono5simono5 Posts: 42
    I had a Boardman Team a number of years ago. Think it was the 2011 model.

I didn't do anything too crazy, cross country and trails mainly with the odd commute.

The bike took all I threw at it and more. Absolutely no complaints.

Boardmans have a reputation as good value bikes so I'm sure it'll live up to your expectations.
  • TonyJamsTonyJams Posts: 214
    Its a very good bike, especially if you got it at the reduced price. I haven't seen a duff boardman bike yet tbh, you really can't go wrong with them.
  • oxomanoxoman Posts: 9,705
    It's a half decent bike certainly can't complain about the one I got my youngest. I was lucky as I got it when it was marked down even more than now and got a further 10% British Cycling discount off it, guy in the shop was well miffed when he had to knock the extra discount off. Youngest hasn't done loads of riding on it but has battered it around Swinley, Cannock,Sherwood and a few local trails, all trails either red or blue. It's been faultless to be honest and I've pinched it a couple of times for local trails and can't fault it. Should last you as long as you look after it.
    Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
  • The RookieThe Rookie Posts: 27,748
    TonyJams wrote:
    I haven't seen a duff boardman bike yet tbh, you really can't go wrong with them.
    The early FS (up to about 6 years ago) had big issues with frames cracking, but that is long since fixed.