Saddle sores...not the usual though *update*

Gringo74
Gringo74 Posts: 14
There must be a ton of stuff online about saddle sores (much of it on here). All good stuff but my problem is rather different.

I got some saddle sores over 3 weeks ago. No boils or anything like that, chaffage essentially; hot weather, 8 hours mtbing, arse in tatters by the end of the day. Had them loads of times before so I did what I usually do; keep clean, use some sudocreme, go commando night and day to keep it dry and keep off the bike for 4-5 days. Has always worked in the past. The broken skin cleared up as did the angry red colour.

However what hasn't cleared up is the pain. The skin on my backside is clear as a bell. There is no tenderness when I press down on the flesh with my hand. But sitting on cheap office furniture in work is very uncomfortable and sitting on a saddle for any more than 30 mins is impossible it's so sore.

Been to the Dr twice. She can't figure it out. Gave me a topical cream first with antibiotics and an anti-inflammatory. Didn't work. Graduated up to 7 day course of oral antibiotics and anti-inflammatories. Now at the end of that course. Hasn't worked at all.

So I have saddle sore pain without the sores. Does this ring a bell with anyone?

Comments

• slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,474
    Any lumps underneath the skin?
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • Gringo74
    Slowmart wrote:

Nah. As smooth as you could expect from a middle aged hairy arsed Scotsman.
  • slowmart
    Gringo74 wrote:
    Slowmart wrote:

Nah. As smooth as you could expect from a middle aged hairy arsed Scotsman.

Why didn't you share that aspect earlier as the Scottish are well known for being

tight arses :wink:

An Overly Sensitive nature and disposition towards pain and where a Englishman would simply carrry on and not admit to any discomfort while setting copious speed records in the process.

I know you said you wash but there maybe different standards North of the border? :wink:

On a more serious note I can only suggest you've soft tissue damage

http://thephysiotherapyclinics.com/soft ... -injuries/

I'm no vet so take my opinion in that context. In this situation most people would give the bike a rest and let nature take its course. Either way best wishes on a speedy and full recovery.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • maryka
    maryka Posts: 748
    So it's a sit bone thing then? Is the pain exactly where the sores were or more of a general feeling in the area? Or more importantly, is there any area where the sores were that there's no pain now?
  • Gringo74
    maryka wrote:
    So it's a sit bone thing then? Is the pain exactly where the sores were or more of a general feeling in the area? Or more importantly, is there any area where the sores were that there's no pain now?

It's painful at the (ahem) perineum when I'm cycling, afterwards the flesh directly on either side of my...well...bum hole :oops:

Should say, none of these areas are tender normally. Only painful during, and the hours after, cycling. Basically these were where the sores where located originally.
  • maryka
    maryka Posts: 748
    At the risk of going way TMI, that maybe sounds like piles?
  • Gringo74
    maryka wrote:
    At the risk of going way TMI, that maybe sounds like piles?

Ah...hadn't thought of that. Good call.
  • Moontrane
    Moontrane Posts: 233
    You’ve got me curious, wondering about ischial bursitis and hamstring tendinitis.

Lie prone face up and bend one leg; grab it below the knee and pull it toward your armpit on that side.

Like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nnqq1OiB7Xg

Any pain?
    Infinite diversity, infinte variations
  • Gringo74
    So, 5 weeks on and it's still so sore that even sitting at work or driving is uncomfortable. Cycling is out the question.

3rd trip to the Dr was just as inconclusive. There's no skin infection, boils etc. Just pain. He reckons it's a soft tissue injury (even though there's no tenderness to the touch). He also said could be 6 months to heal!

Has anyone had saddle sores that have superficially healed but have been painful (when sitting) for months on end?
  • slowmart
    Did you read and follow any of the advice from the physio link I shared?

I'd book yourself in at a physio with knowledge of cycling for a consultation rather than ask strangers on the internet.

There are too many variables to offer informed advice and a similar situation & remedy from another rider is not a likely outcome.

Desmond Tutu
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    ischaul bursititus

or maybe high hamstring tendinopathy.
  • Moontrane
    Moontrane Posts: 233
    kingrollo wrote:
    ischaul bursititus

or maybe high hamstring tendinopathy.

OP has already considered those. Right? :?
    Infinite diversity, infinte variations