Exercises / stretches for sore neck on longer rides?

neeb
neeb Posts: 4,467
Whenever I do a longer-than-usual ride I end up with sore muscles on the back of my neck, especially when I climb off the bike. It's obviously because I've effectively had my head unnaturally cranked back for several hours (relatively low position on the bike = head up to look forwards). Doubtless if I walked around looking at the sky constantly for several hours I'd get a sore neck too.. ;-)

95% of the time it's not really a problem - it's a bit uncomfortable in the last few miles and acutely so for a minute or two when I climb off the bike, but it goes away very rapidly. It's only on rare, really long rides it starts to become a serious issue, presumably because I'm going beyond what my neck muscles are effectively trained to do.

Other than adopting a more upright position (which I don't want to do because I don't have any other problems with going low and it's faster), is there a simple solution to this problem?

Comments

• bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    You tube has hundreds of neck exercise videos which are useful.

I maintain a good neck overall with one of these, rolling the neck, shoulders etc etc.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/tiger-tail-musc ... r-18-inch/

Brilliant bit of kit and great for remedial 10pm roll each night.

Cheers !
  • neeb
    Great, thanks!

Seen various exercises for neck pain, but wondered if they are relevant as most are aimed at people who have sore necks when the head is in a normal position. But I suppose anything that strengthens the muscles that keep the head raised will help. But aren't you training these muscles anyway when you are cycling, i.e. isn't it just an over-use problem?
  • bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    neeb wrote:
    Great, thanks!

Seen various exercises for neck pain, but wondered if they are relevant as most are aimed at people who have sore necks when the head is in a normal position. But I suppose anything that strengthens the muscles that keep the head raised will help. But aren't you training these muscles anyway when you are cycling, i.e. isn't it just an over-use problem?

True, but learn a few bed time neck stretches. Left, right, forward, that'll be 1065 a year that will do your neck good ! I also thing that as bike riders, sometimes it is a legacy thing. Been riding solidly for years excluding 2014 off the bike and basic exercise and stretching should be part and parcel of off the bike stuff.
  • neeb
    Makes sense. I suppose also the problem is that when you are cycling the muscles are in constant tension with the neck in one position. Perhaps dynamic exercises and stretching help to balance that.
  • burnthesheep
    burnthesheep Posts: 675
    If it isn't a timed race you care about, but training rides or sportives, then I'd stop every XX min or X hr and stretch/walk/eat.

Did my first sportive at nearly a double metric century. I got off about once per hour for even just 3 minutes to replenish bottles, eat a banana, walk, and stretch my neck.

I also found focusing on posture and grip pressure matters. If it's not cobbles or you don't have a rough patch, you can lighten the grip a bit.
  • trekvet
    trekvet Posts: 223
    Get a lighter helmet.
    The Wife complained for months about the empty pot of bike oil on the hall stand; so I replaced it with a full one.
  • I recall someone writing about their coach saying to do as.much as possible at home lying on their belly. Watching TV, phone calls, working etc. They said it helped build up endurance just having their neck in that position frequently by doing that.
  • chrisw12
    chrisw12 Posts: 1,246
    I did/do long distance tt's so tend to put lots of miles in the aero position and hence can suffer from sore neck. I'd go as far as saying that during 12hrs, it's my limiter rather than legs or any other body part. I can't see how a few stretches can help with a problem that is caused by spending hours in the saddle, a bit like trying to knock a house down with a toffee hammer but obviously you're experience will vary.

Things I find do help
    1 ditch the sun glasses as they caused me to look up even further. Rimless were better but I'd still strain as I'd find the edge annoying.

2 make a conscious effort to ride like froome right from the start, keep looking at the stem or Garmin.

3 shock horror, ditch the helmet! FOR ME it's a balance between safety and enjoyment or rather not being in pain. If I'm doing a long race (tt) then I'll consider not wearing a helmet as a one off...
  • zefs
    zefs Posts: 484
    I found that stopping at 50% of the ride and doing the common neck exercises (right/left/top/bottom/sides) really helped for me.