How to keep left quads from overworking?

cwiehle
cwiehle Posts: 16
When I ride (road) I feel too much work going on in my left quads, it band is tight, and feel discomfort in upper outer knee. I try activating my glutes as much as I can pre ride. I don’t have this problem when I ride MB, if I do it’s very mild. Anyone have this issue?

Comments

• Alex_Simmons/RST
    Alex_Simmons/RST Posts: 4,161
    Perhaps have you bike position / fit assessed by a professional.

In general, a well fitted bike and shoes/cleats will feel like you fatigue fairly evenly. Of course everyone's fit issues are unique to them.
  • cwiehle

In general, a well fitted bike and shoes/cleats will feel like you fatigue fairly evenly. Of course everyone's fit issues are unique to them.
    Perhaps I need have my fit checked as well but I got into my phys therapist this eve and he said I left quads are over developed from biking with years of underdeveloped glutes and a bunch of stuck fascia. He needled the heck out of me
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    cwiehle wrote:
    When I ride (road) I feel too much work going on in my left quads, it band is tight, and feel discomfort in upper outer knee. I try activating my glutes as much as I can pre ride. I don’t have this problem when I ride MB, if I do it’s very mild. Anyone have this issue?

The fact that you don't have these issues on MTB suggests that it is a specific bike fit issue, rather than something more inherent. Do you ride flats on MTB and clipless on road? Either way, I'd do what Alex suggested and get your fit diagnosed properly.
  • Thick Mike
    Thick Mike Posts: 337
    I had similar problems and stretches, foam roller and heel tap exercises helped. I also started walking up stairs one at a time rather than in twos, I felt this really helped to develop the balancing muscle set and it's easy to do (lots of stairs where I work).

I read that this is often caused by your leg never completely extending the last 10 degrees or so, sometimes associated with saddle slightly too low. I'd imagine that mountain biking means that you are out of the saddle more and so saddle height has less of an effect.
  • Alex_Simmons/RST
    cwiehle wrote:

Perhaps I need have my fit checked as well but I got into my phys therapist this eve and he said I left quads are over developed from biking with years of underdeveloped glutes and a bunch of stuck fascia.
    Perhaps from years of poor bike fit.
    cwiehle wrote:
    He needled the heck out of me
    As for the diagnosis and treatment offered, I think you should run very far from this therapist, they are fleecing you with pseudoscience. They might be well meaning and believe what they do is worthwhile, but it's a complete nonsense.
  • cwiehle
    cwiehle wrote:

Perhaps I need have my fit checked as well but I got into my phys therapist this eve and he said I left quads are over developed from biking with years of underdeveloped glutes and a bunch of stuck fascia.
    cwiehle wrote:
    As for the diagnosis and treatment offered, I think you should run very far from this therapist, they are fleecing you with pseudoscience. They might be well meaning and believe what they do is worthwhile, but it's a complete nonsense.

Pseudoscience??? Can't argue with results. I was referred to this guy for my planter fasciitis and was able to run again after only two dry needle sessions in my calf and foot. I've had knots in my quads in my outer left leg for years now that I have been unable to remove via stretching foam rolling or massage and they are mostly gone today, so say what you will, I trust and believe it, and will no longer go to a PT if he does not dry needle. That being said my previous PT dry needled as well but did it much differently and was less effective so don't umbrella judge the "pseudoscience" Per the bike fit I never close that door because I know how sensitive 1 cm can be but I have been fit twice by two separate people and feel I am pretty honed in.
  • Alex_Simmons/RST
    cwiehle wrote:
    cwiehle wrote:

cwiehle wrote:

Pseudoscience??? Can't argue with results. I was referred to this guy for my planter fasciitis and was able to run again after only two dry needle sessions in my calf and foot. I've had knots in my quads in my outer left leg for years now that I have been unable to remove via stretching foam rolling or massage and they are mostly gone today, so say what you will, I trust and believe it, and will no longer go to a PT if he does not dry needle. That being said my previous PT dry needled as well but did it much differently and was less effective so don't umbrella judge the "pseudoscience" Per the bike fit I never close that door because I know how sensitive 1 cm can be but I have been fit twice by two separate people and feel I am pretty honed in.
    You have no idea whether such treatment works. Some time off and a bit of massage may well have been what did the trick.