Hill Climbing

2»

Comments

• simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,707
    Daniel B wrote:
    I too am going on holiday nexxt week, but as I am staying with my parents, I have managed to stash a couple of bikes with them for me and my gf - also planning to take my daughters bike in a suitcase.
    I too was\am contemplating the possibility of putting on weight whilst there, but plan to counteract that by taking running kit as well - so although I might only get 1 or 2 bike rides in each week, plan to run every day. Temp will be much like it is here today, but probably 90% of the time, so it's going to be hot, and a 3-5 mile run each day is going to burn a lot of calories I reckon.
    Don't forget the maxim: "you can't outrun a bad diet". Meaning that exercise can only help so much, but what you put in your mouth afterwards is always of greater significance. I suspect you won't burn as many calories in warm weather.

While on holiday you don't have to be too strict with food but is it a signal to overindulge? I'd try to see it as part of the bigger picture. Try not to fall off the waggon too badly and you won't have so much ground to make up when you come home.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,934
    Simon E wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:
    I too am going on holiday nexxt week, but as I am staying with my parents, I have managed to stash a couple of bikes with them for me and my gf - also planning to take my daughters bike in a suitcase.
    I too was\am contemplating the possibility of putting on weight whilst there, but plan to counteract that by taking running kit as well - so although I might only get 1 or 2 bike rides in each week, plan to run every day. Temp will be much like it is here today, but probably 90% of the time, so it's going to be hot, and a 3-5 mile run each day is going to burn a lot of calories I reckon.
    Don't forget the maxim: "you can't outrun a bad diet". Meaning that exercise can only help so much, but what you put in your mouth afterwards is always of greater significance. I suspect you won't burn as many calories in warm weather.

While on holiday you don't have to be too strict with food but is it a signal to overindulge? I'd try to see it as part of the bigger picture. Try not to fall off the waggon too badly and you won't have so much ground to make up when you come home.

Yep agreed completely, but as i am staying with my parents, we will to some degree, be at the mercy of my mums cooking, although we will cook 2-3 times a week I guess.
    She's not an unhealthy cook perse, but she does use more oil than we do, and any requests to change her methods will not be met with enthusiasm if you get my drift!

I don't think I am that strict with food, I just try not to eat the obviously bad stuff, so chocolate, ice cream, cake etc etc
    And I aim to continue that on holiday, as I want to ride and run while I am out there, and critically I want to come back home and hopefully retain the power I had, or only have a marginal slip which I can then regain in a few weeks.
    I have an event in October, which is pretty much 10 weeks from when I return, so I want to keep in good shape so I can do myself justice on that one too.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    I think someone is overthinking it... if you are not on the competitive side of a TT (and you are not as you are 3 minutes off pace from the possible winner), frankly I wouldn't give up on life for the sake of possibly gaining a whopping 10 seconds on the day... it's just not worth it.

This kind of sacrifices are on an Olympic medal level, not a local TT where you probably will finish in the bottom half anyway
    left the forum March 2023