• davesnothere
    davesnothere Posts: 620
    edited May 2017
    Editing my glib response given the seriousness

Sad times, hope he pulls through. Great racer and a good guy
    GET WHEEZY - WALNUT LUNG RACING TEAM™
  • twist83
    twist83 Posts: 761
    He bounces well in airbag race suit with back protector helmet and boots. Not so well in lycra.

Link below to damage he did with his body to the car and the bike aftermath

http://www.riminitoday.it/cronaca/incid ... dente.html
  • motogull
    motogull Posts: 325
    This is horrible. As is any accident like this, but him having been a high profile racer has enabled me to see a lot of him. He's well sound. #GoNicky
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,243
    He is in very serious conditions according to Gazzetta... life or death kind of situation
    left the forum March 2023
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    horrible accident :( #ForzaNicky
  • twist83
    twist83 Posts: 761
    They say they have operated and he is in a medically induced coma. Fingers crossed all is well. Anyone who follows MotoGP and now WSbk will know what a character he is.
  • ZMC888
    ZMC888 Posts: 292
    Another fucking car driving idiot causes death and mayhem.

Get well soon Nicky.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    One of the hardest working and most honest guys to have been in the MGP paddock. I well remember him trying to bump start his RCV from Coppice corner down the Dunlop straight long after the marshals had given up hope of it starting again. He got it going though.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • bigmitch41
    bigmitch41 Posts: 685
    MotoGP World Champion & real genuine guy, come on Nicky keep fighting!

#GoNicky
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    First McPint and now this - pretty shyyyt week really.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • bigmitch41
    bigmitch41 Posts: 685

Gutted for John, the TT wont be the same..
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • ProjectObject
    ProjectObject Posts: 145
    Hoping for a speedy recovery. He is a genuine nice guy.
  • ovi
    ovi Posts: 396
    BigMitch41 wrote:

Gutted for John, the TT wont be the same..
    for me the TT wasn't the same after David Jeffries died
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Updates on Nicky Hayden's situation aren't great. Significant "cranial damage" according to Italian press reports.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • ugo.santalucia
    Updates on Nicky Hayden's situation aren't great. Significant "cranial damage" according to Italian press reports.

It says brain damage.
    Only a miracle, I'm afraid... :(
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    It does seem crazy that you can do an insane sport like motorbike racing only to be done for riding a bicycle.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • ugo.santalucia
    From what I have gathered on italian websites, he came out of nowhere from a side road and should have given way to the car... however, all speculation as the police are investigating
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    It does seem crazy that you can do an insane sport like motorbike racing only to be done for riding a bicycle.
    Yep of all the high speed falls and high sides he will of taken during his career,albeit wearing the best protection available,this happens to him on a pushbike,seems bloody cruel
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032

Road cycling has far greater consequence than GP/SB racing, regardless of the speeds etc, so long as they are luckily enough to stay out the way of the tumbling bike, there is nothing to hit or slow them rapidly down (internal injuries)

i wish him well but it s not looking great.
  • fudgey
    fudgey Posts: 854
    Seems to be happening too much lately :(
    My winter bike is exactly the same as my summer bike,,, but dirty...
  • overlord2
    overlord2 Posts: 339
    Fudgey wrote:
    Seems to be happening too much lately :(

And it will probably keep happening seeing as cyclist = scum to 99% of road users
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    Overlord2 wrote:
    And it will probably keep happening seeing as cyclist = scum to 99% of road users

It doesn't help with the bile hatred that the Daily Mail prints about anyone who is a minority. And the stupid sheeple who believe anything the rag says.
    I had a quick look (I don't look on that website now) and I get the impression the Daily Mail is worded to avoid saying "car hits yet another cyclist and causes seriously injury to them"
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • ugo.santalucia
    Stick to the topic... apparently the motorist didn't do anything wrong
  • lostboysaint
    Could you expand on that, my Italian is shocking? The damage to the car suggests that it's likely that the driver is at fault (rear-ended Hayden) - although there is the possibility that Nicky was, somehow, on the wrong side of the road or just appeared in front of the driver.
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • ugo.santalucia
    Could you expand on that, my Italian is shocking? The damage to the car suggests that it's likely that the driver is at fault (rear-ended Hayden) - although there is the possibility that Nicky was, somehow, on the wrong side of the road or just appeared in front of the driver.

As I understand, it would appear to be the latter... he popped out of a side lane without giving way, just in front of the driver... who might or might not have been driving slightly over the speed limit.
    I am not saying the driver is not at fault, but it does not appear to be a case of dangerous driving/texting while driving/drink driving/road rage or any of those things we like to accuse drivers of
  • lostboysaint
    Ah. As I said in my post it was the only thing that would make sense, looking at the damage to the car, for it to be his fault.
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • meanredspider
    Ah. As I said in my post it was the only thing that would make sense, looking at the damage to the car, for it to be his fault.

Depending upon what speed the car was doing...

I'm reserving judgement. In some European countries (like Belgium, I believe) the car driver's insurance is liable whoever is to "blame". It's really interesting to see how that changes the dynamic between cars and cycles.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • ugo.santalucia

I'm reserving judgement. In some European countries (like Belgium, I believe) the car driver's insurance is liable whoever is to "blame". It's really interesting to see how that changes the dynamic between cars and cycles.

It does in the sense that in Belgium if you don't use the cycling paths they get mad at you and the Police stop you. The quality of such paths is patchy... some are terrible, but you have to use them
  • meanredspider

It does in the sense that in Belgium if you don't use the cycling paths they get mad at you and the Police stop you. The quality of such paths is patchy... some are terrible, but you have to use them

Possibly but on the roads around my house cars were extremely cautious about bikes. And you absolutely HAD to have the correct reflectors fitted to your bike. I took my wife's bike to a bike shop and they were horrified that it didn't have wheel reflectors. I guess it's about mutual responsibility.
  • ugo.santalucia
    According to the Italian press, there is a surveillance video showing how Hayden did not give way or slow down at a stop and got ran over by the car... it would appear the driver is really not at fault.