Pre-Race Nutrition

n733lk
n733lk Posts: 44
I've just joined a race team for TTT. We had our first practice ride yesterday. Keeping pace on the ascents was really burning my fuel. By mile 20-22, I could keep up, but my tank was EMPTY. A last minute sprint was out of the question.
What's the best way to prepare for a TTT nutritionally? Up til now, I've only done endurance rides which haven't been a problem. I want to give my best to the Team and improve my individual times.
Thoughts????

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,555
    in a ttt by definition you're tucked in saving energy most of the time, so unless it's all hard uphill you shouldn't be close to using up energy reserves over that distance

sounds more like you're not trained for the intensity
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Yup, sounds like a fitness issue, rather than a nutritional one.
  • How much time did you spend on the front?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • n733lk
    I certainly understand my need for much additional training, but how do you eat the day prior and the day of your races?

Thanks!
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    How long is the race 25 miles?. If so just eat normally it's only an hours effort.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    How serious is the team? And how good are they?

If they are like well serious and well good maybe all chip and get a coach/nutrioinst to work with you all?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • n733lk
    Webboo wrote:
    How long is the race 25 miles?. If so just eat normally it's only an hours effort.

Yep, 40k. Ha! Not quite there yet. Just getting started. We are in the 18 mph range.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Real TTs on real roads, or is this a zwift thing?

Either way, it sounds like a fitness issue, not a nutrition issue.
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    You should have enough muscle glycogen to last without doing anything particularly special. At 18 miles an hour, a 25 mile TT is a little over 1 hour 20. Bottle of energy drink throughout and a gel at ~ 15 miles or so, would probably do it.
  • n733lk
    joey54321 wrote:
    You should have enough muscle glycogen to last without doing anything particularly special. At 18 miles an hour, a 25 mile TT is a little over 1 hour 20. Bottle of energy drink throughout and a gel at ~ 15 miles or so, would probably do it.

Thanks for the suggestion.
  • Matthewfalle
    Is it for computer or road?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • n733lk
    Is it for computer or road?

Road.
  • Matthewfalle
    As above then.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Can of red bull or similar 15mins before the start should see you through.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    For road racing (1 hour 10 min Crits, generally in the evening) - I eat normal breakfast (porridge or yoghurt and fruit), mid morning fruit snack, normal lunch (avoiding bread), then about an hour before I need to leave I have a strong coffee with a homemade granola bar and a banana. After the warm up laps have completed so just before the whistle blows I have a caffeine gel. I then wouldn't eat during the race, but have a drink as and when needed (or when there is a lull that lets me grab a swig)
    I've done races straight from work with just eating lunch, race started at 1900 and I was really hungry mid race. The banana and granola bar help see me through.
  • n733lk
    Thanks w00dster for the info.