Ease of Crank Spin

13»

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    2 of the Bicycles at work do a 5, 1 does a 7, started raining so came back to my office to drink PC.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Jesus you lot must be bored! I'm now suspicious that the whole thing's been a sophisticated trolling thread. I can't believe that somebody would pester 2 different bike shops because of a tiny amount of drag from the BB seals.
  • Matthewfalle
    Well, if it's a mechanical problem and the OP isn't happy with the first answer then why not see get a second option? Wouldn't you?

I'm sure that if it was a Boardman some people on here would only be too quick to start shouting "it's because Halfords are so rubbish" or some such other tripe. Although they are just as good as/better than most LBS'.

It's the guys bike, he's come one here for help and advice, it's obviously bugging him so why can't we help him? If he wants to go and get a second opinion then why not?

I notice that no power meter users have replied - that would be useful for this discussion.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,102
    Well...not?

I notice that no power meter users have replied - that would be useful for this discussion.

Hmm... power meters sucking up 20 watts just to turn them over. How beautifully ironic.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Well, if it's a mechanical problem and the OP isn't happy with the first answer then why not see get a second option? Wouldn't you?

Only if you were part of the same, sophisticated trolling operation. Which is highly likely, IMO. Trolling comes in many forms, but you know that.
  • Matthewfalle
    Yeah, right. Me and sophisticated in the same sentence.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • reacher
    reacher Posts: 416
    Imposter wrote:

Only if you were part of the same, sophisticated trolling operation. Which is highly likely, IMO. Trolling comes in many forms, but you know that.

Your getting paranoid m8 everything you don't agree that should be posted comes down to trolling in your opinion, mind you saying that its the same on other forums so your not alone. Maybe you could form a separate section just for yourselves to answer no posts.
  • imposter2.0
    Yeah, right. Me and sophisticated in the same sentence.

A fair observation - although I was assuming the 'sophisticated' bit was probably someone else's idea..

Anyway, I've just spun the cranks on two different bikes (one with a GXP and one with a BB86) and they both only spin about three times. Less if I push softer, and more if I push harder. Turns out Newton was right all along....
  • Matthewfalle
    I'm intrigued to see what the pro technicians at the LBS' say.

OP: any differences on Garmins or similar when you and your Mrs ride your bikes together?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • imposter2.0

My guess is the 'pro technicians' will say "FFS".
  • Matthewfalle
    Well, as far as we know you're not a pro technician so let's see what the people who do this for a living and therefore know what they are talking about say.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • imposter2.0
    Well, as far as we know you're not a pro technician so let's see what the people who do this for a living and therefore know what they are talking about say.

I'll put a fiver on them saying 'FFS'. That's what I'd say if I were a 'pro technician'. Whatever that is. Surely your special forces pro cycling team (not a club) has such people?
  • 23scadoo
    23scadoo Posts: 35

OP: any differences on Garmins or similar when you and your Mrs ride your bikes together?

So the second bike shop said that the about one time around (with chain) is what they tend to shoot for when they are testing a newly installed BB. When I asked why my wife's spins so free his reply was that it could be a little bit of luck and that it's just installed exceptionally well with perfect balance and alignment.

And no, imposter, he didn't say "FFS" or anything even close to it. Unlike you, who thinks that everyone here should be an expert in everything bike related and should have no questions or concerns about their bike that aren't deemed by you to be of worth in this forum. What a sad life you must lead to have nothing better to do than to troll forums and stir up trouble for your own amusement. I hope you don't procreate.
  • Matthewfalle
    23 - don't rise to his bait: he's (or she - we don't know) isn't worth it. She/he is only being bitter.

Seems weird that one b/b is installed so perfectly and the other not. Any differences on any other measurable variables?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • 23scadoo
    Seems weird that one b/b is installed so perfectly and the other not. Any differences on any other measurable variables?

It would be hard to compare power output since we have drastically different FTP's and I'm not sure what other comparisons we could test. It was a nice to hear from the LBS that mine wasn't something that surprised them though. I think at this point I'll put a few hundred miles on it and see if it loosens up some.

I appreciate your willingness to help solve this problem though Matthew.
  • Matthewfalle
    Absolute pleasure dude - glad to be of help. This kinda thing is quite intriguing.

Can you ride her bike for a bit then yours a compare measureables or are the sizes completely different (unrideably so)? Not too different for gearing, etc?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • imposter2.0
    23scadoo wrote:
    And no, imposter, he didn't say "FFS" or anything even close to it.

He probably thought it.
    23scadoo wrote:
    I hope you don't procreate.

Too late, mate.
  • 23scadoo
    Absolute pleasure dude - glad to be of help. This kinda thing is quite intriguing.

Can you ride her bike for a bit then yours a compare measureables or are the sizes completely different (unrideably so)? Not too different for gearing, etc?

Riding her bike and trying to compare would be even less scientific than spinning cranks. I have ridden it before when she was having issues with her power meter that I was trying to figure out and can't say that I noticed any difference in effort. If anything I noticed that it was a little harder to get the power up.
  • Matthewfalle
    23scadoo wrote:

Riding her bike and trying to compare would be even less scientific than spinning cranks. I have ridden it before when she was having issues with her power meter that I was trying to figure out and can't say that I noticed any difference in effort. If anything I noticed that it was a little harder to get the power up.

Hmmmm - getting tricky now. Let me have a coffee and scratch my head over this.

Oh - and ignore imposters little rant above: she/he is obviously just being rude. Rise above.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • imposter2.0

Oh - and ignore imposters little rant above: she/he is obviously just being rude. Rise above.

Says the guy who's just come back from a two week ban for trolling :lol::lol::lol:
  • Matthewfalle
    Why are you trying to sidetrack the thread and be rude and mean? I don't understand and I don't think other people will do either.

Very, very strange behaviour indeed.

It's the OP we're trying to help - remember the bigger picture. It's not all about you.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • trekvet
    trekvet Posts: 223
    Someone mentioned balance, so yes, could be the cranks are not same weight (and hers are). Perhaps use some lead shot we use to balance wheels, and sellotape t crank to see if it makes it any better.
    The Wife complained for months about the empty pot of bike oil on the hall stand; so I replaced it with a full one.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,102
    You use lead shot to balance wheels?! Sounds interesting, can you elaborate on that please?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Matthewfalle
    TrekVet wrote:
    Someone mentioned balance, so yes, could be the cranks are not same weight (and hers are). Perhaps use some lead shot we use to balance wheels, and sellotape t crank to see if it makes it any better.

Yes - this. Am now very intrigued.

Any pictures/advice please?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.