Ease of Crank Spin

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Imposter wrote:
    23scadoo wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    You are obsessing over nothing.

You're probably right but i just can't hep but think that I could be riding faster if the crank was spinning more smoothly.

Agree - if the cranks aren't spinning as they should/as well as they could be (as evidenced by his wife's spinning cranks) then he's losing speed and watts whilst putting in more effort than is required.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    The only thing that matters is if you can feel extra resistance in the bb while riding.
  • 23scadoo
    23scadoo Posts: 35
    I ran the bike over to another LBS and they took a look. Their opinion was that the number of times it's going around is normal and about what they shoot for in that shop when testing an installation of a BB. Of course my question was then why does my wife's crank spin so free and the only answer he had was that the installation and set up were perfect and just luck.

I guess this leaves me in the "it is what it is" category.

I would be curious to hear how everyone else's crank spin and how many times you get around?
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,148
    23scadoo wrote:
    I would be curious to hear how everyone else's crank spin and how many times you get around?

many times, curiously it's always a mersenne number
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Matthewfalle
    23scadoo wrote:
    I ran the bike over to another LBS and they took a look. Their opinion was that the number of times it's going around is normal and about what they shoot for in that shop when testing an installation of a BB. Of course my question was then why does my wife's crank spin so free and the only answer he had was that the installation and set up were perfect and just luck.

Chain or no chain?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • 23scadoo
    23scadoo wrote:

Chain or no chain?

I know that this won't be scientific at all since different people will spin with different amounts of force on different BB's, cranks etc. So to take out as many variables as possible let's do with no chain.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    I've said it before and I'll say it again: FFS.
  • 23scadoo
    Imposter wrote:

Then stop following the thread. No one's forcing you to read or contribute. If you think this is stupid then go do something that you think is productive.
  • imposter2.0
    23scadoo wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

Then stop following the thread. No one's forcing you to read or contribute. If you think this is stupid then go do something that you think is productive.

Not sure what you mean. Repeatedly typing 'FFS' on a thread this stupid is about as productive as it gets.
  • 23scadoo
    Imposter wrote:
    23scadoo wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

Not sure what you mean. Repeatedly typing 'FFS' on a thread this stupid is about as productive as it gets.

Funny that you think typing FFS is going to stop the thread. Seems that it's keeping it going.
  • Matthewfalle
    I'll head into the garage in a bit as it's just started raining. I can't do it on the good bike as it's got a chain catcher but I can do it on the cx bike as it hasn't got a chain on at all and I'll do it on the crit bike as well as I can unship the chain.

Will come back in a bit.

What results did you get by the way?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,102
    I cannot count the number of turns mine does with the chain off. It goes on and on. So, I do think you have a problem. Pity you can't get a Praxxis fitting tool and do the job yourself.

There are pdf files available:

https://www.praxiscycles.com/wp-content ... ctions.pdf
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Matthewfalle
    Piano: do you have ceramic bearings or normal?

Could this be the cause of the OP's chagrin? Obviously I mean that his Mrs has ceramic ones and he doesn't, not you. Unless you are his Mrs, in which case it's all a bit weird.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • imposter2.0
    23scadoo wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    23scadoo wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

Funny that you think typing FFS is going to stop the thread. Seems that it's keeping it going.

I'm not interested in stopping it. Only an active mod can do that - and there aren't any.
  • 23scadoo
    edited May 2017
    Pinno wrote:
    I cannot count the number of turns mine does with the chain off. It goes on and on. So, I do think you have a problem. Pity you can't get a Praxxis fitting tool and do the job yourself.

There are pdf files available:

https://www.praxiscycles.com/wp-content ... ctions.pdf

I've also read in a few places that it might also just take a few hundred miles to break up the factory grease so that it runs smoother.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    i set mine spinning this morning and its still going now, is that good ..?

FFS ...
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,102
    Piano: do you have ceramic bearings or normal?

Could this be the cause of the OP's chagrin? Obviously I mean that his Mrs has ceramic ones and he doesn't, not you. Unless you are his Mrs, in which case it's all a bit weird.

I had Ceramic on my Super Record 11 chainset which I sold. I have a Fulcrum Cento Uno c'set which is Record equivalent but not ceramic. TBH, I cannot tell the difference.

Back OT: I had problems with my Eurus wheels after replacing the bearings and races. When I say 'problems', the bearings seemed to be 'crunchy'. The wheels spun horribly despite using being spotlessly clean during assembly. Then I dug around and apparently, some mechanics use a drill to bed them in.
    I rode the for at least 250 miles before they went smooth and they stayed smooth.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Matthewfalle
    9 on the cx bike. FSA Gossamer cranks and FSA mega exo bb, bb is brand new, cranks well old.

Let me check with crit bike - fsa team carbon cranks, not sure what bb.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • imposter2.0
    itboffin wrote:
    i set mine spinning this morning and its still going now, is that good ..?

FFS ...

You may just have invented perpetual motion. I'd give Rutherford Appleton Labs a call first thing in the morning...
  • Matthewfalle
    Crit bike is 8 revolutions per push.

Do you want me to try the MTB?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Thinking about it, are you and your Mrs both running the same pedals? Could different pedal weights cause momentum issues leading to one spinning more than the other?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • imposter2.0

A harder push might give you 9 revolutions. A softer one might only give you 7. Try again, but this time, allow the force to flow freely through your arm and into the cranks. Chanting "The force is with me - I am at one with the force" can sometimes help...
  • andcp
    andcp Posts: 644
    Thinking about it, are you and your Mrs both running the same pedals? Could different pedal weights cause momentum issues leading to one spinning more than the other?
    Nice observation Matt. I was wondering if the arm length had a 'bearing' on it - could 170 mm vs 175mm make a difference too? Both compact chain sets? 53/39 will weigh more than 50/34 surely?
    "It must be true, it's on the internet" - Winston Churchill
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    23scadoo wrote:

I've also read in a few places that it might also just take a few hundred miles to break up the factory grease so that it runs smoother.

+++

Oh. I Forgot the type "FFS". Apparently that's what makes one feel big and important in these forums.

I kind of mentioned that a few pages back.

And as bearings wear they will often spin more freely, but not as smoothly.
    cooldad wrote:
    If it's smooth and turns easy, don't worry.

Especially if it's new. Nice thick new grease instead of old nasty watered down stuff. It will be tackier.

FFS
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • sh3p
    sh3p Posts: 98
    I thought my crank was dragging somewhat , but convinced myself it was normal,then convinced myself it wasn't so stripped it and found the center sleeve thingy ( sorry for the description) between the bearings was off center and rubbing on the crank, it had nearly worn through the plastic sleeve.
    replaced the BB and the difference was immediately noticeable....spun freely for approx 2.5 turns instead of struggling to turn round once, this was with the chain off so only the crank.
  • 23scadoo
    Mine spun with no chain about 6.5-7 times but then I noticed that the LBS has the front derailleur too low and it was scrapping the big chain ring when I was in the small chain ring. I don't think that will change my rotations very much though since it was just barely scrapping
  • Matthewfalle
    Imposter wrote:

A harder push might give you 9 revolutions. A softer one might only give you 7. Try again, but this time, allow the force to flow freely through your arm and into the cranks. Chanting "The force is with me - I am at one with the force" can sometimes help...

No - consistent force on all pushes. I have medics OCD so I tend to do things properly. I don't need to chant lines from films.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Andcp wrote:
    Nice observation Matt. I was wondering if the arm length had a 'bearing' on it - could 170 mm vs 175mm make a difference too? Both compact chain sets? 53/39 will weigh more than 50/34 surely?

Very good point my man - chapeau.

Also - type of pinch bolts: ti vs steel will surely make a difference weight wise? All about marginal gains/losses.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Just wondering if this work affect any power meter readings he may be doing - after all, if he's added correct weight, age, etc but there's a gap in a massive variable all his readings are going to be out?

Something for other users of power meters to comment on maybe?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • imposter2.0
    Imposter wrote:

No - consistent force on all pushes. I have medics OCD so I tend to do things properly. I don't need to chant lines from films.

You measured the pushing force and verified this? As you say, if it's worth doing properly, then you'd need to be absolutely certain about your consistency. Also, if lines from 'Star Wars' don't appeal, then maybe try 'Wizard of Oz', 'Rocky Horror Picture Show', or similar.