Why do Chain Reaction Returns Take So Looooooong??

bungle73
bungle73 Posts: 758
edited May 2017 in Road general
Returned something last Tuesday (using Hermes), and, apparently, it's still not go there. The tracking hasn't been updated for a week and just says "On its way back to the retailer". I queried this with them yesterday and got told.....
With Hermes we ask customers to wait around 12-14 working days before they can expect to hear anything back. 10 days for the return to arrive back with us and 2 days for it to be processed, as you only returned it on the 2nd May I would recommend that you wait to next week to hear anything back and if you have not heard anything to contact Hermes to get an update on the return."

How the hell can it take 10 days to take a package from one place and deliver it to another?? I could have walked it there quicker than that!

I was hoping I'd get the refund in time to use the funds when I'm holiday next week. I don't recall it taking this long the last time I sent something back.

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,237
    Seems to me a problem with Hermes, rather than CRC.

Hermes are notoriously shite
    left the forum March 2023
  • bungle73

Well, since they're the ones that employed them so it is very much their problem. And going by what their representative told me it seems this is "normal".

If I booked and paid a courier myself to deliver something and it took 10 days to get there I would not be happy. I can't understand why it would take so long.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You can also use Royal Mail. Mine normally take a few days. I regularly get multiple sizes and send back stuff that doesn't fit. Great system and free.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • bungle73
    cooldad wrote:
    You can also use Royal Mail. Mine normally take a few days. I regularly get multiple sizes and send back stuff that doesn't fit. Great system and free.

The box was too big to take the PO.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Bungle73 wrote:

Well, since they're the ones that employed them so it is very much their problem. And going by what their representative told me it seems this is "normal".

If I booked and paid a courier myself to deliver something and it took 10 days to get there I would not be happy. I can't understand why it would take so long.

Hardly. You're getting a free return when plenty of on line retailers expect you to send it for them to refund you. It's being tracked, so whilst you might be getting impatient for your refund or exchange to happen, you at least have peace of mind that if it goes missing, you have proof it was sent. Hermes are one of the cheapest couriers in my experience and I can understand why a retailer would use them.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Bungle73 wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

How can it be too big? The PO are quite good at this sort of thing. Their name sort of gives it away. Even a box with a bike in it isn't that big.

Or should the post read: "I couldn't be arsed to take the box to the PO so decided to use a courier firm instead now I'll slag them off here".
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,576
    Bungle73 wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

How can it be too big? The PO are quite good at this sort of thing. Their name sort of gives it away. Even a box with a bike in it isn't that big.

Or should the post read: "I couldn't be arsed to take the box to the PO so decided to use a courier firm instead now I'll slag them off here".

Agreed - I have sent a lounger chair back to Amazon through my local post office - was a struggle to get it up on the scales, but it got there fine.
    I tend to use either RM or Collect+ for my CRC returns, and never had any issues - HERMES are SLOW, so am not surprised.
    It's very good of CRC to offer free returns, and even better, imho, to offer 3 different variants, thus catering for people who may only have one of the 3 nearest to them.

The actual return, and refund process (Once they have the item\s) tends to be same day.
    Pretty sure they also send you a nice e-mail to confirm it has been actioned.

I think they are a phenomenal retailer.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Matthewfalle
    Daniel B wrote:
    Bungle73 wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

Agreed - I have sent a lounger chair back to Amazon through my local post office - was a struggle to get it up on the scales, but it got there fine.
    I tend to use either RM or Collect+ for my CRC returns, and never had any issues - HERMES are SLOW, so am not surprised.
    It's very good of CRC to offer free returns, and even better, imho, to offer 3 different variants, thus catering for people who may only have one of the 3 nearest to them.

The actual return, and refund process (Once they have the item\s) tends to be same day.
    Pretty sure they also send you a nice e-mail to confirm it has been actioned.

I think they are a phenomenal retailer.

I once sent a motorbike frame to someone wrapped solely in a curtain. PO didn't bat an eyelid. Two days later turned up at the bloke's house.

Sent a few motorbike engines as well, again no worries.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • cooldad
    I blame Wiggle.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Deepens which monkey is behind the till at the Post Office.

I sent a bike frame from 1 PO no issues at all. Few days later went to post some wheels in a box half the size of the frame at a different (and bigger) PO and the "clerk" grunted something about it being too big. He just couldn't be chewed to do it.

Went back to t'other PO next day and again no problems.

But yes back to the OP. Don't use Hermes in future...
  • Sutton_Rider
    Sutton_Rider Posts: 493
    edited May 2017
    I used Hermes last year for a return to CRC and it took 2 weeks. - Never again will I make a return via Hermes. However, I've found that their 'Normal' delivery times are much the same as others, it seem the deal they have with CRC is the problem. It's a deal that keeps the cost to CRC down as low as it can be hence the 'slow' delivery times.
  • bungle73
    philthy3 wrote:
    Bungle73 wrote:

Hardly. You're getting a free return when plenty of on line retailers expect you to send it for them to refund you. It's being tracked, so whilst you might be getting impatient for your refund or exchange to happen, you at least have peace of mind that if it goes missing, you have proof it was sent. Hermes are one of the cheapest couriers in my experience and I can understand why a retailer would use them.

Hardly? Hermes contract is with CR. My contract is with CR. That makes it their problem.
    Bungle73 wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

[/quote]

There's always one............. :roll:

Too big means it's TOO BIG! Can't you understand English?

I "can't be arsed" because I don't want lug a large box 3/4 mile to the post office am I? You're talking nonsense. I didn't "decide" to use a couirer firm, I used their assigned method, so I suggest you stop talking nonsense
  • bungle73
    And I think I've got a right to slag them off when it's taking 10 bloody days for a parcel to get anywhere.
  • Matthewfalle
    Blimey - that escalated quickly.

Please don't be cross or angry. It's ugly and there is already too much anger, hatred, bad words and deeds in this world already.

A whole 3/4 mile. Blimey. Now I can see where you're coming from. That's 1,320 yards. I suppose a car/cab/bus wasn't available to assist you with this Herculean task?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,576
    Didn't bungle have another thread about mudguards that degenerated into insults as well?

And if you genuinely believe you have a right to be annoyed with a retailer because of a FREE service that they offer, then I am oot.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • C_P_
    C_P_ Posts: 31
    Wiggle have had an item i returned for two weeks now and haven't had time to process it yet. They have told me they have a backlog, it will take longer than the normal two days, are only human and doing their best i'm not impressed.
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    Hermes are absolutely cr*p. Claimed they had delivered something to my work address (open all day/main front door/doesn't close for lunch) when they clearly hadn't. Took ages to sort out. Lady at my reception said she has seen several incidents of Hermes not delivering.
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • Bungle73 wrote:
    And I think I've got a right to slag them off when it's taking 10 bloody days for a parcel to get anywhere.

What do the terms and conditions that you agreed to, say?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Bungle73 wrote:
    Hardly? Hermes contract is with CR. My contract is with CR. That makes it their problem.

How is it CRs problem? They know it is on the way and are quite happily waiting to process it. They don't seem to have a problem to me or anyone else here but you, where in fact, the issue is your impatience and nothing else. I've used Hermes a fair bit as well as other couriers. Hermes have messed up once by failing to collect a parcel, but other than that, they've been fine.

If you want to talk utterly crap couriers, try Parcel Hero and UPS. Smashed a 40" monitor correctly packaged and refused to compensate claiming it was on their restricted items list.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • bungle73
    So. We now, apparently, live in a world where people consider it acceptable for a courier to arse around and sit on someone's package for a couple of weeks. What a sad state of affairs.
  • Matthewfalle
    So we now apparently live in a world where people are too lazy to carry a box 1,300 yards. God help us if there is ever a war. Or boxes that need to be carried down the road.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • cooldad
    In defence of Hermes, their couriers are contractors, some are good, some are rubbish. Hermes themselves are actually quite easy to deal with, as far as couriers go, which is a pretty low bar.

Our local guy (I live in a village) knows my house and office, so if no one is at home, he'll call into the office, and vice versa.
    You can hear him arrive as he plays classical music at high volume, and at lunchtime can generally be found outside the local pub with a pint.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Matthewfalle
    cooldad wrote:
    In defence of Hermes, their couriers are contractors, some are good, some are rubbish. Hermes themselves are actually quite easy to deal with, as far as couriers go, which is a pretty low bar.

Our local guy (I live in a village) knows my house and office, so if no one is at home, he'll call into the office, and vice versa.
    You can hear him arrive as he plays classical music at high volume, and at lunchtime can generally be found outside the local pub with a pint.

Dude of the day - top work.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,221
    cooldad wrote:

Or depending on your viewpoint, Hermes classify their couriers as self-employed to avoid giving them sick pay, holiday pay and the minimum wage.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    cooldad wrote:
    and at lunchtime can generally be found outside the local pub with a pint.

What, before getting into his van again?
  • cooldad
    He drives a car, and yes, I believe a pint at lunchtime is legal.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    cooldad wrote:
    Legal assuming it doesn't put him over the limit. I just wondered if Hermes had a policy on that, that's all..
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    Their deliveries don't seem to be any better either.

On 8th May I ordered a couple of Elite San Remo bike carriers from CRC - they appeared to be in stock. I checked the tracked deliver this morning and they are NOT yet with the courier.

Yesterday afternoon I ordered some camera kit from Amazon. Placed the order at about 1430. It was delivered this morning before 1030. I do not use Amazon Prime. One item was Free Standard and the other was £3.49 cheapest.

Now there is no need for me to have the camera kit so quickly and I am not suffering with the slower delivery by CRC but you can't help be selective when choosing your next order.
  • Matthewfalle
    Imposter wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    Legal assuming it doesn't put him over the limit. I just wondered if Hermes had a policy on that, that's all..

Unless you're going to walk up to him and ask him if, as a self employed driver, he's working that afternoon I personally would let someone doing something completely legal carry on.

Hermes won't have a policy as far as I can see as he's self employed. Same as Uber.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Navrig2 wrote:
    Their deliveries don't seem to be any better either.

On 8th May I ordered a couple of Elite San Remo bike carriers from CRC - they appeared to be in stock. I checked the tracked deliver this morning and they are NOT yet with the courier.

Yesterday afternoon I ordered some camera kit from Amazon. Placed the order at about 1430. It was delivered this morning before 1030. I do not use Amazon Prime. One item was Free Standard and the other was £3.49 cheapest.

Now there is no need for me to have the camera kit so quickly and I am not suffering with the slower delivery by CRC but you can't help be selective when choosing your next order.

Since CRC were taken over by Wiggle their service is appalling which is why I no longer use them unless I really have to - Merlin are a billion times more efficient.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.