Recovery after accident?

Merida
Merida Posts: 3
Hi,
I had an accident a few weeks ago, I've broken both the Ulna and Radial very close to the wrist joint. I had stitches to repair my knee and chin.
I've been plated back together, and currently still in a cast.
I'll be starting physio once the cast comes off.
Wondering if anyone has had same type of injury and roughy how long it took to get back on the bike again?
I know everyone heals at different rates but was just wondering.
Thank you

Comments

• LimitedGarry
    LimitedGarry Posts: 400
    Best person to ask this would be your doctor. If he doesn't have an answer, it's probably because individual cases are way too... individual.

Also, there's usually a pretty big gap between being able to ride and being allowed to ride, because even a very minor accident can cause you pretty significant damage if you're not all healed up.
    Maybe your doctor might allow you to use a turbo trainer before he allows you to ride for real. You know, as part of the rehab. But hey, just guessing :)
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Obviously the only person who can answer your question is yourself, we all heal differently, don't gat back on the bike unless you fit enough , no point making matters worse again
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Turbo away at any point, don't ask a bunch of blokes and burds off the internet who don't know anything about you for advice - that's what your doctor is for.

At the end of the day though, you aren't a pro, so don't rush it.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Totally different break but when I broke my collarbone last year they said that even when the bone starts knitting together they would be wary of riding because the vibration and jarring could be detrimental until the repair is strong enough. It was just over 2 months before I was out on the road again but I was doing spin classes and turbo long before that. Yours might actually be stronger more quickly because of the plate.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,846
    After fracturing two metacarpal bones in my hand and reducing the range of the same hand's wrist just before Xmas 2013, doctors weren't too keen on me "getting back on the horse" for the best part of three months.

When the front end of my Wazoo washed out on me part way around a roundabout back on Valentines Day this year, it was that very hand that took the brunt of the pirouetted fall. As soon as I picked myself up after it happened, that hand and wrist were rather sore, I was rather concerned that I had aggravated the old injury. But thankfully, the pain subsided a lot overnight and so I never felt the need to get it checked out by GP or A&E and it's been fine since.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Merida
    Merida Posts: 3
    Best person to ask this would be your doctor. If he doesn't have an answer, it's probably because individual cases are way too... individual.

Also, there's usually a pretty big gap between being able to ride and being allowed to ride, because even a very minor accident can cause you pretty significant damage if you're not all healed up.
    Maybe your doctor might allow you to use a turbo trainer before he allows you to ride for real. You know, as part of the rehab. But hey, just guessing :)

Thanks, managed the turbo with not much problem from my knee.
    Hoping the cast comes off tomorrow!