Giro 2017: Stage 5 - Pedara > Messina. (157km) **spoilers**

2»

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449
    Ewan looking like a boy against men.

I know he's young, and has time to improve, but he does seem to struggle with the intensity of sprints in GTs, especially as the race progresses. He started relatively brightly at the Giro last year and faded away to anonymity, he runs the risk of doing the same again this year.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    Quick Step.

Smashing the Giro with kids.

Ooof.

That'll help Lefevre get some sponsors *fingers crossed*
  • rick_chasey
    andyp wrote:

I know he's young, and has time to improve, but he does seem to struggle with the intensity of sprints in GTs, especially as the race progresses. He started relatively brightly at the Giro last year and faded away to anonymity, he runs the risk of doing the same again this year.

If I take off my biased hat - he's done GTs too soon in his career.

If sprinting is a confidence thing, doubly so when you're small and get muscled out why knock it when you're not fully developed yet?
  • Crampeur wrote:
    French TV making an interesting point about how Ewan started sprinting when he saw Pibernik going for the line - a sign of ineperience and lack of understanding of the parcours in the final. Maybe something there.

Funnily enough, Orica did a pre stage backstage pass this morning and he said then that it was the 1st time he'd even looked at the profile/route?!
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455
    It's incredible that Quickstep can't find sufficient sponsorship.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    andyp wrote:

If I take off my biased hat - he's done GTs too soon in his career.

If sprinting is a confidence thing, doubly so when you're small and get muscled out why knock it when you're not fully developed yet?

Didn't work out too badly for Cavendish after his first (winless) TdF though, did it?
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,313
    Cavenwho?
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Cavenfinished
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • rick_chasey
    Yeah but he's a bit special.

Cavendish Ewen ain't.
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Pibernik was entertaining - it looked like he thought it was the finish when he rode off the front and kept glancing behind him, and he didn't disappoint.

Ewan looks to be the fastest sprinter here so must be getting frustrated now.

Anyone any idea why the Tour of Azerbaijan are advertising on Eurosport when the race finished last weekend?
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,704
    thegibdog wrote:

Anyone any idea why the Tour of Azerbaijan are advertising on Eurosport when the race finished last weekend?

Because the advert lasts longer than their coverage. :P
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • philwint
    philwint Posts: 763
    Crampeur wrote:
    French TV making an interesting point about how Ewan started sprinting when he saw Pibernik going for the line - a sign of ineperience and lack of understanding of the parcours in the final. Maybe something there.

Funnily enough, Orica did a pre stage backstage pass this morning and he said then that it was the 1st time he'd even looked at the profile/route?!

I saw that and it clashed significantly with Cav's approach as described in his books. Where he does an in-depth analysis of the last 5-10k on the previous evening. Including street view of the finishing 1km.
  • craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    I find that quite astounding that he hadn't even looked at the profile till the morning of the stage. Even if he wasn't motivated to look at it in a bit of depth, you'd think someone on the team would have sat down with him for 10 minutes or something. I guess we never know how focused they are on different aspects of the race though, it has always been Orica's intention to start targeting GC, perhaps at the expense of the sprinters?

As said above though, maybe it just shows a lack of experience or immaturity on his part.
  • rick_chasey
    Craigus89 wrote:
    I find that quite astounding that he hadn't even looked at the profile till the morning of the stage. Even if he wasn't motivated to look at it in a bit of depth, you'd think someone on the team would have sat down with him for 10 minutes or something. I guess we never know how focused they are on different aspects of the race though, it has always been Orica's intention to start targeting GC, perhaps at the expense of the sprinters?

As said above though, maybe it just shows a lack of experience or immaturity on his part.

You gonna say the same about Nibs who last year didn't know, until he started warming up, that the TT wasn't in fact a TTT?
  • craigus89
    Craigus89 wrote:

You gonna say the same about Nibs who last year didn't know, until he started warming up, that the TT wasn't in fact a TTT?

Clearly not inexperience in his case. It does surprise me though that the riders don't take more notice of the parcours, you'd think some advantage could be gained there. I mean, what the hell are they doing every evening at the hotel!?
  • rick_chasey
    Craigus89 wrote:
    Craigus89 wrote:

Clearly not inexperience in his case. It does surprise me though that the riders don't take more notice of the parcours, you'd think some advantage could be gained there. I mean, what the hell are they doing every evening at the hotel!?

Travelling to the hotel, and then probably trying to think of anything but the race!
  • craigus89
    Craigus89 wrote:
    Craigus89 wrote:

Travelling to the hotel, and then probably trying to think of anything but the race!

Yes but they are professionals, I wouldn't have thought it too taxing to expect a bit of prep for the following day inbetween glasses of red.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Craigus89 wrote:
    Yes but they are professionals, I wouldn't have thought it too taxing to expect a bit of prep for the following day inbetween glasses of red.

Those days went out with Vinokourov etc
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.