Oh **************

bompington
bompington Posts: 7,674
edited June 2017 in Road general
Well, I would be hoping that this should really go in Workshop but it's looking more like Buying Advice...

... decided to go the long way to work this morning. Heading off up the hill I was taking it nice and easy when a few tinkling noises from the back end were followed by the unmistakable sounds of a rear mech tearing off. Everything broke: seatstay, chain, rear mech, hanger, cassette even has a chunk or two taken out of it.

I have no knowledge or experience of frame repair services but I'm assuming this is beyond that: if anyone knows better then I will be delighted to hear it.

But overall I'm not that happy right now.
jqCZEOJ.jpg

Comments

• davesnothere
    davesnothere Posts: 620
    Sad times
    GET WHEEZY - WALNUT LUNG RACING TEAM™
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    you took a chunk out of the cassette ? .... the spikey thing at the end of the bike ? .... how fast were you going up that hill ... or of thin and expensive is your cassette .... I have never broken a cassette in all my years, worn them out sure, but I thought they were indestructible
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    Buff out with t-cut
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    Has the image been reversed or is the cassette on the left hand side?
  • vrsmatt
    vrsmatt Posts: 160
    Interesting left hand drive .......
    Giant TCR Composite 1, Giant Defy Advanced 2, Boardman Comp, Santa Cruz Heckler, Raleigh M-Trax Ti, Strida LT, Giant Halfway
  • bompington
    fat daddy wrote:
    you took a chunk out of the cassette ? .... the spikey thing at the end of the bike ? .... how fast were you going up that hill ... or of thin and expensive is your cassette .... I have never broken a cassette in all my years, worn them out sure, but I thought they were indestructible
    Turns out (when wearing reading glasses not dark cycling glasses on a grey morning) that that was just bits of the hanger stuck to it, so your scepticism is entirely justified :oops:
  • 211dave112
    211dave112 Posts: 125
    Shortfall wrote:
    Has the image been reversed or is the cassette on the left hand side?

...I think if the OP had rotated the image 90 degrees clockwise it'd make more sense!
  • bompington
    When I took the picture the bike was lying down. I was feeling like lying down. Framing the pic nicely was the least of my concerns.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    bompington wrote:
    When I took the picture the bike was lying down. I was feeling like lying down. Framing the pic nicely was the least of my concerns.
    To be fair, you do say it's the seat stay that's damaged in your original post.

That all sucks though - sorry :(
  • 211dave112
    211dave112 Posts: 125
    bompington wrote:

Understandable!

I think it depends on the bike whether or not it's worth repairing. There are some fantastic carbon repair companies out there.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Buff out with t-cut

And a sponge bob plaster.

I would keep that wheel on for now itll be helping keep the chainstay in place. As said, weigh up the cost of a new frame Vs the cost of a repair, quite a few good composite repair companies who sort it for you.
  • darkhairedlord
    bompington wrote:
    At least it wasn't resting on the saddle and hoods.
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    I assume you know how this happened?
    Same thing happened to me on a 6 month old Giant TCR.
    I had it repaired for £150, bare carbon without a paint spray job. It was as good as new and rode it for another 3 years with no problems before an upgrade.
    They said, after the repair, that it would now be stronger in that area than it was before the crack due to the carbon build up, which 3 years down the line I can believe.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Without too much of a detailed look - it looks like a carbon frame - so in theory it can be repaired - my little bro had his repaired having ridden it with a homebrew repair for many years.
  • darkhairedlord
    Probably caused by a poorly assembled GXP BB causing the chain to oscillate horizontally, this jams the RD and the inevitable happens...
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    bompington wrote:
    fat daddy wrote:
    Turns out (when wearing reading glasses not dark cycling glasses on a grey morning) that that was just bits of the hanger stuck to it, so your scepticism is entirely justified :oops:

I've broken a cassette, only a few weeks ago. Relatively new Campagnolo Veloce 10 speed. One of the middle sprockets shattered into a number of pieces. Fortunately no damage to any other part of the bike, as it was on a vintage Columbus SLX frame.
  • darkhairedlord
    New PX pro-carbon framesets are £249.
    Cheaper than cleaning, let alone repairing, the old frame.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    Probably caused by a poorly assembled GXP BB causing the chain to oscillate horizontally, this jams the RD and the inevitable happens...
    Ouch, harsh. But I was wondering if this was the bike that has the pedal/crank problem. Maybe it's telling Bomp that it wants to be replaced and the previous hints were too subtle.
    I reckon that's repairable, but wether the cost is justified is up to you. Bad luck. Hope you managed to stay upright and keep anything important away from the top tube.
  • bompington
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Ouch, harsh. But I was wondering if this was the bike that has the pedal/crank problem. Maybe it's telling Bomp that it wants to be replaced and the previous hints were too subtle.
    I reckon that's repairable, but wether the cost is justified is up to you. Bad luck. Hope you managed to stay upright and keep anything important away from the top tube.

It's occurred to me that the tinkling sound was quite similar to the one my other bike made when the chain broke - this one certainly has a broken chain but of course it has a broken everything else as well, so it's far from certain that the chain went first.

I was pootling at the time so no violent action occurred, thanks for the concern V68!

Not sure in what way the BB could have been poorly assembled or how that could have caused something like that to happen whilst going very slow'n'easy.

Anyway, good bike recognition (or stalking) skills, that is (was) indeed my PX pro carbon, and of course I have looked up the cost of a new frame, and yes there are frame repair places reasonably nearby in Scotland - but I'm wondering if V68 is right, a knackered frame, cassette, mech, chain and wheel might mean it's time for n-1+1...
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    bompington wrote:
    I was pootling at the time so no violent action occurred, thanks for the concern V68!
    Phew, I guess that would have been adding injury to insult.
    Not stalking, just vague recollection of the recurring strange pedal issue. Good opportunity for a new bike if you wanted to I guess. If something like that happened to my bike I would just because everything is a bit tired and a complete bike is probably cheaper than the parts.
  • burnthesheep
    burnthesheep Posts: 675
    How's the chain look?

I could see that happening if something jammed the chain or RD from not being able to feed chain through it thus rotating the RD clockwise as you pedal forward until you bust it off the hanger and then the ensuing damage occurs.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    New PX pro-carbon framesets are £249.
    Cheaper than cleaning, let alone repairing, the old frame.
    Riding one of those would be like wearing a suit from Primark. Does what it's supposed to do but it will feel like sh*t. :mrgreen:
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Term1te wrote:
    bompington wrote:
    fat daddy wrote:

I've broken a cassette, only a few weeks ago. Relatively new Campagnolo Veloce 10 speed. One of the middle sprockets shattered into a number of pieces. Fortunately no damage to any other part of the bike, as it was on a vintage Columbus SLX frame.

This. I did am SRAM one a while ago. Took it off the bike, smashed the remains with a hammer, set fire to it with fire then into next door's garden.

Re frame: ooops. Oh well stick it in the back of the garage with an idea to look at getting it repaired at a later dater and buy an Oltre XR4 in the meantime. Then in 10 years time when you still haven't sorted it fetch the hammer and bucket of fire. You know the rest.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    bompington wrote:

It's occurred to me that the tinkling sound was quite similar......

'Tinkling sound' sounds like rear mech cage kissing the spokes before being dragged into them and.........ouch!
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • bompington
    Svetty wrote:
    bompington wrote:

It's occurred to me that the tinkling sound was quite similar......

'Tinkling sound' sounds like rear mech cage kissing the spokes before being dragged into them and.........ouch!
    That would be a pretty drastic thing to happen when you're in 4th gear
  • sandyballs
    sandyballs Posts: 577
    Sorry to hear of your frames demise but every cloud and all that, have you seen my frame for sale? :D

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40091&t=13079645
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Nah, bit of sellotape and you're good to go.
  • Matthewfalle
    Self expanding foam on the inside, insulating tape on the outside while it dries. Peel the tape off, be fine.

But personally me and the Gazmeister reckon you're too scared to do it. Cluck cluck cluck.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • bompington
    Too scared? I should point out that I did ride it home...
  • Matthewfalle
    Pictures of post repair riding needed please.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.