Is that Jonathan Edwards? - WTF!!!

2»

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    His mangling of 'maglia rosa' better improve as the weeks go by. Mag-Lee-Ah Roza. Eek.
    Let's not forget that Ned Boulting started out at the Tour talking about the Yellow Jumper. Now he's almost Mr Cycling - touring a one man cycling show around the country.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • argyllflyer
    argyllflyer Posts: 893
    RichN95 wrote:
    His mangling of 'maglia rosa' better improve as the weeks go by. Mag-Lee-Ah Roza. Eek.
    Let's not forget that Ned Boulting started out at the Tour talking about the Yellow Jumper. Now he's almost Mr Cycling - touring a one man cycling show around the country.

And you can also add in doing lead commentary left right and centre for ITV, Bike and RCS!
  • Richmond Racer 2
    Richmond Racer 2 Posts: 4,698
    RichN95 wrote:
    Ashley House's big break was appearing on Fame Academy

Seriously, Rich, I want you on my pub quiz team
  • Richmond Racer 2
    Richmond Racer 2 Posts: 4,698
    RichN95 wrote:

(twice, apparently)
  • RichN95.
    RichN95 wrote:

For really obscure trivia:

No-one picked up on my titbit earlier in the thread that Edwards isn't the only ex-triple jumper reporting on cycling for British TV. Orla Chennaoui of Sky was Irish junior champion
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    RichN95 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

No-one picked up on my titbit earlier in the thread that Edwards isn't the only ex-triple jumper reporting on cycling for British TV. Orla Chennaoui of Sky was Irish junior champion
    I picked up on it, thought "ooh I wonder who that is", then forgot about it...
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,158
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

I picked up on it, thought "ooh I wonder who that is", then forgot about it...

I just assumed everyone knew that? :wink:
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Surely, rather than 'why is Edwards presenting this?', the question should be 'is he doing a better job than House?'. To which the answer would be yes.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    I'm surprised you guys even notice who the presenter is.

Who watches the presenters bit?????
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,642
    I'm surprised you guys even notice who the presenter is.

Who watches the presenters bit?????

Same people that use the Google homepage ;)
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Yes it is Edwards. And yes, he was utter carp. Why not get one of the GCN guys to do it?

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    SecretSam wrote:
    Yes it is Edwards. And yes, he was utter carp. Why not get one of the GCN guys to do it?

well the highlights I saw on Quest (yeah ok why arent ITV2/3/4 covering it now there ARE Brits in the race ?) that are obviously just Eurosport ported across, Matt Stephens was involved, though gawd bless him needs to tone down the arm waving abit :)

I dunno I thought Edwards was ok as a host,Im not expecting Gary Imlach levels of presentation yet, and everyone has to start somewhere. just remember for the tennis they have Rob Curling (who might be a sports presenter but comes across as a daytime tv host) Colin Murray for Snooker (just why), and they used to have Tony Carter for superbikes (Alan Partridges cousin). so theres a low bar when it comes to hosts on Eurosport and I think Edwards is possibly actually far better than we give him credit for, there are plenty of hosts, Clare Balding for one, who think the way to host tv sport is to just get incredibly breathlessly excited about everything.
  • argyllflyer
    Edwards referred to the 'GQ' as opposed to the GC today at the finish.
  • RichN95.
    Everyone makes mistakes. On Match of the Day, Gary Lineker called Spurs title challengers.
  • argyllflyer
    RichN95 wrote:
    Everyone makes mistakes. On Match of the Day, Gary Lineker called Spurs title challengers.

Mistakes are fine but it shows the superficial level of his knowledge. I'm sure he will improve though as time goes on.
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    As with the Yellow Jumper.

If Flecha still working for Eurosport or is he with another channel? I'm sure Hatch & Kelly were talking about him making coffee yesterday and I'm assuming he hasn't been demoted to tea boy. Didn't he do the recon of the finish too?
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,771
    edited May 2017
    I watched my first highlights show last night and thought Edwards was fair enough to be honest. It wasn't a massive amount he did and had Hayman with him for the real insight.

I think the most obvious blunder was Flecha wishing Greipel a good race tomorrow before he advised him it was a rest day! But, like the GC GQ thing, its just slips, unlike Kirbys repetetive statements of fact.

Nice to have a highlights show with a few interviews and results summary, much better than the previous cut and paste edit packages they did. Decent time slot I reckon as well, I found the 7pm ITV4 slot too early.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,771
    Double :oops:
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • philwint
    philwint Posts: 763
    I thought Mathew Hayman came across extremely well. He was very relaxed in front of the camera - must be all those backstage passes I have always admired him as a rider, but he could be a great pundit after he retires (if is doesn't go into a DS job)
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,704
    CarbonClem wrote:
    I watched my first highlights show last night and thought Edwards was fair enough to be honest. It wasn't a massive amount he did and had Hayman with him for the real insight.

I think the most obvious blunder was Flecha wishing Greipel a good race tomorrow before he advised him it was a rest day! But, like the GC GQ thing, its just slips, unlike Kirbys repetetive statements of fact.

Nice to have a highlights show with a few interviews and results summary, much better than the previous cut and paste edit packages they did. Decent time slot I reckon as well, I found the 7pm ITV4 slot too early.

What I thought at the time was that he said "have a good rest tomorrow," but it was Spanish accent to German ear.
    Makes more sense when you think about it.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I'm only doing the highlights at night - life is too short to watch cycling live. Especially when it's sunny outside - so all the pulaver over the host is passing me by.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    I think Edwards is surprisingly good, he's an engaging presenter with a personality and some presence. I suspect the natural physical ability and years of training give him an insight into cycling at the upper levels that a lot of "cyclists" could never hope to achieve. In fact because he's not a cyclist he can ask questions like "just how good were quickstep today" in a genuine way.

Shame the answer was less articulate.

Thumbs up from me. :D
  • yourpaceormine
    yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245
    I think Edwards is surprisingly good, he's an engaging presenter with a personality and some presence. I suspect the natural physical ability and years of training give him an insight into cycling at the upper levels that a lot of "cyclists" could never hope to achieve. In fact because he's not a cyclist he can ask questions like "just how good were quickstep today" in a genuine way.

Shame the answer was less articulate.

Thumbs up from me. :D

^ this

Caught my first highlights show tonight, whilst not as polished as the itv4 TdF highlights show (they have had something like 30+ years to work on it) I thought it was pretty good. Intro, some highlights, final important kms, analysis, interviews, preview of next stage. Ticks all the boxes, so much better than just showing the last hour of racing which was the old Eurosport idea of highlights.

Edwards, is pretty good. He is a presenter, the sport specific knowledge will come. Ned Boulting was a football journalist, he will be remembered as a cycling telly bod. Look how many BBC types have a decent enough knowledge to present track coverage.