100th Giro, Preview

Comments

• yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,632
    Can't seriously be looking beyond Nibali or Quintana to win this surely?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Most can't even see as far as Nibali
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    I predict Quintana will ride a very boring race, then probably win.

C_AFNKyXYAILXlJ.jpg
    Shoes killing that shot!

Ha!

Yes, baring the uncontrollable. It would be good to see Thomas have a crack.

I Hope to see some flare and attacks on the odd stages.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,642
    RichN95 wrote:
    Pirazzi and Ruffoni (both of Bardiani) have both return positive pre-Giro drug tests. Dumbarses.

Does that mean that Bardiani take a suspension and are out of the Giro also?
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449
    Oh to be in earshot of Gianni Savio right now. I bet he's absolutely raging.
  • yorkshireraw
    RichN95 wrote:
    Most can't even see as far as Nibali

Nibs' team certainly isn't what he's used to - a lot will likely fall on Siutsou, and it's not like he can rely on Visconti not to go rogue. As for Pellizotti being back at WT level, FFS.... I was maybe being harsh on Pirazzi up thread.

Solid team for Nairo - including one of the most stylish riders in Bennati. This is Italy - that's important.
  • yorkshireraw
    andyp wrote:

On the other hand, that's a couple of riders for him to sign up when their bans end, as per (I appreciate his team is most likely doomed though)
  • RichN95.
    dish_dash wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Pirazzi and Ruffoni (both of Bardiani) have both return positive pre-Giro drug tests. Dumbarses.

Does that mean that Bardiani take a suspension and are out of the Giro also?
    Don't know. Twitter is unclear too.
    andyp wrote:
    Or he's on the phone saying "You want a team? I've got the perfect team for you. You'll love it. Say yes now and I'll have it delivered by nine AM"
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    FocusZing wrote:
    ^Jeez. Straight life ban if conclusive, it has to be the message now.
    They've got to kick the team out surely?
  • argyllflyer
    argyllflyer Posts: 893
    I know Androni and Nippo Vini Fantini were miffed to be omitted but if it had been their riders you'd not be any more or less surprised.
  • FocusZing
    edited May 2017
    ^^Yes you're right.
  • yorkshireraw
    I know Androni and Nippo Vini Fantini were miffed to be omitted but if it had been their riders you'd not be any more or less surprised.

Dunno, given Nippo's results you might be....
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    Any idea what drug they failed on ?

Not really the start the 100 Giro needed, shame they didn't show the race the respect it deserved
  • RichN95.
    sherer wrote:
    Any idea what drug they failed on ?

Not really the start the 100 Giro needed, shame they didn't show the race the respect it deserved
    Growth Hormone Peptides
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    Finally, a proper start to a grand tour.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • RichN95.
    Finally, a proper start to a grand tour.
    No cops though
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    True true.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    30 years since Roche won.
    30 years!
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    ooking forward to this. I know Quintana is odds on favorite, but is he holding something back for the Tour? If he is there are lots of hopefuls ready to step up. Even if he wins it's impossible to predict the podium.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Google doodle. That's big time.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    SPaM02 wrote:
    good idea that.

Shame it starts on a Friday when I'm at work !

Not sure if holder anything back in the Giro for the double really works. How much energy will he actually save ?
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,642
    Who still goes to the google homepage? It baffles me...
  • FocusZing
    ^The guy giving it air on the mountain must be mechanical surely?
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    FocusZing wrote:
    ^The guy giving it air on the mountain must be mechanical surely?

Overcooked it on the descending competition :wink:
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • spam02
    spam02 Posts: 178
    Not sure this is the attitude GT should have if serious about winning (or podiuming)

"It's uncharted territory really. I've always been helping other guys so if I do blow up now it doesn't really matter. Hopefully it all goes well."

Whether it's true or not (and I know he's typically laid back), but he's got good form so surely he should be going in with a more positive attitude than that.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    SPaM02 wrote:
    podiuming

Get out.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • RichN95.
    Less than an hour left for PTP picks
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,771
    SPaM02 wrote:
    Not sure this is the attitude GT should have if serious about winning (or podiuming)

"It's uncharted territory really. I've always been helping other guys so if I do blow up now it doesn't really matter. Hopefully it all goes well."

Whether it's true or not (and I know he's typically laid back), but he's got good form so surely he should be going in with a more positive attitude than that.

Id guess after the pressure on Porte to deliver that ended up always going so badly they are keen to ensure that expectations are realistic, and dont pile the pressure on. GT and Landa can fly under the Quintana/Nibali radar and see how they go, theoretically.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner