Superstar Components wheels

2»

Comments

• philclubman
    philclubman Posts: 229
    I bought some ACR31 with CX Rays. No idea what the hubs are.

They seem as well built as the Primato on Kinlin XR31Ts that I have built by Cycleclinic.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    I bought some ACR31 with CX Rays. No idea what the hubs are.

They seem as well built as the Primato on Kinlin XR31Ts that I have built by Cycleclinic.
    I suggest riding for a few hundred miles and seeing which hold up better.

It has to be said though, CX-ray and other aero spokes are very forgiving of machine builds as they eliminate the problem of spoke wind-up, so it might be that the superstar build is entirely adequate.
  • flegomenos
    flegomenos Posts: 15
    Hi again! I thought I'd give you a little upgrade as I bought the Arc31 wheels.

I live in Greece and the wheels arrived 1 day before schedule. No rim tape was included. It's great how light they are; first wheel upgrade for me and I'm excited! They look pretty, too, as there is no 'lightbulb' profile from the width difference between the rim (24mm) and the tire (25mm). Some people mentioned that it's hard or near impossible to fit the tires but the guy at my LBS had no problem fitting them at all. Front wheel looks fine. However, the rear wheel is not trued correctly and the rim brakes had to be adjusted so that the breaking surface does not touch the breaking pads. I was advised to ride for 150-200km before returning to true the wheels, as at the moment they are very tense. He could tell by looking at the rim from the side and noticing the little waves at its surface. According to him, I'll have no problem through these first km's as I'm not heavy (74kg). Is his decision a wise one you think?

Also, on the rim of the wheels it is written "Max pressure 80psi". How seriously should I take this indication? Since the Continental rim tape that I use has a max pressure of 120psi.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,272
    flegomenos wrote:
    Front wheel looks fine. However, the rear wheel is not trued correctly and the rim brakes had to be adjusted so that the breaking surface does not touch the breaking pads.

I think I just had a dejavu... :roll:
    left the forum March 2023
  • londoncommuter
    londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
    Mine arrived back with Superstar today and they pulled out the stops and turned them round same day. Will update after next weekend......

Out into a dry and hot Kent tomorrow on a disc commuter with 27c tyres and full mudguards - going to look ridiculous.
  • londoncommuter
    londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
    I know they have their detractors but I love Superstar. For a grand total of £7 (MyHermes) they've just trued my wheels to within a gnats whisker and I had a creak free ride this morning.

OK, maybe the wheels shouldn't have started creaking before that but I don't care as I've now got an irrational feeling of goodwill towards them. I've even grown to love the ludicrous white rims I went with that were on clearance.

I like the fact they're really not very "corporate" e.g. I asked if they'd ever get in stock the ti road skewers they have on their site. The answer, "No, but you could always cut down the MTB ones"!

Just need an excuse to buy some more wheels.

As an aside, it was great to discover it was the wheels as my build consists of Superstar wheels, PlanetX ti skewers and Look Blade 2 pedals which surely must be the most infamous components for creaking. Sadly the frame isn't BB30 so I couldn't throw that into the mix.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Still loving my four sets
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    The pair on the boy's bike have been great too.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • ugo.santalucia
    I asked if they'd ever get in stock the ti road skewers they have on their site. The answer, "No, but you could always cut down the MTB ones"!

No need to cut them... there will be a few threads sticking out of the nut, but you'll never notice them, unless you want to notice them.
  • itboffin
    Does anyone remember if the ultra wheelset are tubeless ready? I know the arc31 are and in fact even after all these years they we're simple to setup, if i can do the ultra as well that would be great.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,392
    ddraver said:

I got some of the Pave rims on whatever the cheap SS hubs are and they re ridiculously flexy but I ve used them for bikepacking off road (don't ask) and winter riding and they ve been fine (still in one piece, still true etc.)

They move around a lot and are by no means a performance wheelset but for £100, I can't really fault them.

Still all true by the way...

(Holy Thread Ressurection Batman!)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,594
    ddraver said:

ddraver said:

I got some of the Pave rims on whatever the cheap SS hubs are and they re ridiculously flexy but I ve used them for bikepacking off road (don't ask) and winter riding and they ve been fine (still in one piece, still true etc.)

They move around a lot and are by no means a performance wheelset but for £100, I can't really fault them.

Still all true by the way...

(Holy Thread Ressurection Batman!)
    I see what you did there.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    I have a pair as my CX race spares.

Given how little CX racing there has been recently, all i can say is:

They look nice hanging in my shed.

My mechanics view as:

"Built OK, OK for a budget wheel"
    Insert bike here:
  • itboffin
    Turns out SS say not strictly tubeless ie do at your own peril
  • itboffin
    My ARC31 have developed a sort of springy sound, hard to describe really but a flexing of metal type of sound rather than a click or rattle. I have no idea what that could be or where to look, any ideas?
  • itboffin said:

My ARC31 have developed a sort of springy sound, hard to describe really but a flexing of metal type of sound rather than a click or rattle. I have no idea what that could be or where to look, any ideas?

Could it be the skewer rather than the wheel itself?
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Forks?
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • MattFalle
    Have you tried a different wheel or skewer to discount possibilities?
  • ugo.santalucia
    Could it be the non drive side has lost tension? It wouldn’t be unheard of, for those fine wheels…
  • MattFalle
    Oh Ugo, stop with the disparigements.

You know better than that.