Superstar Components wheels

flegomenos
flegomenos Posts: 15
edited May 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi all, I'm considering the following sets of wheels and I need some help!

Alexrims: http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/c ... eelset.htm (15mm internal rim width)
Pave 28: http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/p ... t-2024.htm (17mm wide)
Pave 28': http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/z ... ebuild.htm (17mm wide)

The low weight in comparison with the price and the looks seems like a great deal to me. I have read a lot about the Paves in the forums and most people are satisfied with them. What about the Alexrims however? Has anyone had any experience with them?

Finally, regarding these wheels: http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/a ... -dealx.htm
Arc31: Deeper 31mm profile and aero. 19mm internal ultrawide rim is what all the big brands are only just releasing as the latest must have product. 670g Front, 895g Rear, 1565g Pair (real world weights excluding rimstrips).
Could I use a 19mm internally wide rim with my 25mm Continental UltraSport tyres? I understand that if I go by the book I should be using 17mm max for 25mm tyres, but would it really be an issue? And also, will I have trouble fitting a Cx wheel in my Cannondale CAAD8 bike rim-brake-wise?

Which set would you pick if you were in my position? Τhanks a lot!

Comments

• MisterMuncher
    MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
    19mm internal and 25mm tyres absolutely fine. I'd imagine a full CX tyre wouldn't clear the fork or stays on a CAAD8, let alone the brakes.
  • Did you read the posted review on the ARC31? on the site?

Might save you some money but not sure how long they work for!
  • jdee84
    jdee84 Posts: 289
    flegomenos wrote:
    Hi all, I'm considering the following sets of wheels and I need some help!

Alexrims: http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/c ... eelset.htm (15mm internal rim width)
    Pave 28: http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/p ... t-2024.htm (17mm wide)
    Pave 28': http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/z ... ebuild.htm (17mm wide)

The low weight in comparison with the price and the looks seems like a great deal to me. I have read a lot about the Paves in the forums and most people are satisfied with them. What about the Alexrims however? Has anyone had any experience with them?

Finally, regarding these wheels: http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/a ... -dealx.htm
    Arc31: Deeper 31mm profile and aero. 19mm internal ultrawide rim is what all the big brands are only just releasing as the latest must have product. 670g Front, 895g Rear, 1565g Pair (real world weights excluding rimstrips).
    Could I use a 19mm internally wide rim with my 25mm Continental UltraSport tyres? I understand that if I go by the book I should be using 17mm max for 25mm tyres, but would it really be an issue? And also, will I have trouble fitting a Cx wheel in my Cannondale CAAD8 bike rim-brake-wise?

Which set would you pick if you were in my position? Τhanks a lot!

Are you calling it a CX wheel becasue it says ARC CX-Ray?

If so CX-Ray is the spoke type used and doesn't mean it's a CX wheel.

There's no reason you shouldn't be able to fit a 25mm tyre to a 19mm internal rim
  • jdee84 wrote:
    Are you calling it a CX wheel becasue it says ARC CX-Ray?

If so CX-Ray is the spoke type used and doesn't mean it's a CX wheel.

There's no reason you shouldn't be able to fit a 25mm tyre to a 19mm internal rim
    Because of that and of the width of the rim. Good to know it's not a CX wheel.
    Did you read the posted review on the ARC31? on the site?

Might save you some money but not sure how long they work for!
    I had not seen this post, no! Will have to think about it again...

Regarding the Alexrims, can you comment on reliability? I did not know this brand before and £140 for such a light pair seems extremely cheap!
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,208
    I bought two sets of Superstar Pacenti SL23s as discussed to death on this thread:

viewtopic.php?t=13001539

And I'm fairly happy two years down the line. But if you read the thread there is a lot of truth in it. One set was built OK, just minor adjustments to get it perfectly true that I did myself. But the other had tensions all over the place and I had to get it sorted out professionally. Good components, very good price but you can see where they have cut corners in the assembly. Also the rim tape it came with was so thick I couldn't install tyres easily and was very heavy (seriously about 50 grams!) but a roll of Stan's sorted that.

Highly recommend the wider wheels, the SL23s shape 23mm tyres perfectly, with no lightbulb bulging, gives a plush ride. I would expect the Arcs to do the same for 25 or 28mm tyre.
  • super_davo wrote:
    I bought two sets of Superstar Pacenti SL23s as discussed to death on this thread:

viewtopic.php?t=13001539

And I'm fairly happy two years down the line. But if you read the thread there is a lot of truth in it. One set was built OK, just minor adjustments to get it perfectly true that I did myself. But the other had tensions all over the place and I had to get it sorted out professionally. Good components, very good price but you can see where they have cut corners in the assembly. Also the rim tape it came with was so thick I couldn't install tyres easily and was very heavy (seriously about 50 grams!) but a roll of Stan's sorted that.

Highly recommend the wider wheels, the SL23s shape 23mm tyres perfectly, with no lightbulb bulging, gives a plush ride. I would expect the Arcs to do the same for 25 or 28mm tyre.
    Hey, thanks for the input! I'll have a thorough look at the thread and decide... It's relieving to know at least that the problems that you described were in the assembly and not in the components of the wheels. Who knows? Maybe they want you to spend the extra cash you saved on your local bike store, the same way a waiter waits for your tip because the employer pays too little. You know, for support :D
  • super_davo wrote:

viewtopic.php?t=13001539
    I spend my life reading this thread, but thanks for it. Very informative.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    flegomenos wrote:
    super_davo wrote:

viewtopic.php?t=13001539
    I spend my life reading this thread, but thanks for it. Very informative.

That thread was an internet classic... so glad I got involved! :mrgreen::lol:
    left the forum March 2023
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,680
    I got some of the Pave rims on whatever the cheap SS hubs are and they re ridiculously flexy but I ve used them for bikepacking off road (don't ask) and winter riding and they ve been fine (still in one piece, still true etc.)

They move around a lot and are by no means a performance wheelset but for £100, I can't really fault them.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Wheely33
    Wheely33 Posts: 25
    I bought a set of their Pave28 in the sale for £140. For the money I can't fault them, they're pretty light and strong. They seem to be extremely robust and i have clocked up some serious miles on them, over roads that are not always the smoothest in the world. I must admit to finding the 20 spoke front a little vague on fast descents though.
    Bought a set of their Arc22 and had the rear rim split after 60 miles - spoke pulled through. A review of their own website has someone listing the exact same problem, whch I in my infinite wisdom dismissed as "probably a one-off" Ha ! For the record I'm 78 KG, so neither a regular wheel masher nor the lightest of riders.
    To be fair they were very good about having it back and rebuilding it with a new rim, but after being stranded 40 miles from home by the failure I'm now nervous about using them on anything but very local loops. Have to say that the wide internal rim width and subsequently very low pressures you can run on them (60psi) translate into a very nice ride though.
  • flegomenos
    flegomenos Posts: 15
    Wheely33 wrote:
    Bought a set of their Arc22 and had the rear rim split after 60 miles - spoke pulled through. A review of their own website has someone listing the exact same problem, whch I in my infinite wisdom dismissed as "probably a one-off" Ha ! For the record I'm 78 KG, so neither a regular wheel masher nor the lightest of riders.
    "Of course it's a one-off", say the voices in my head... And then you have that 2-year warranty thing. And Oscar Wilde saying "I can resist anything but temptation". And I click the button and buy the Arc31! Let's see...
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    what spoke count is the arc22 wheelset? if it is 24 rear then even with washers i would say a safe weight limit of 80kg should reduce the risk of rim cracking to near zero. the 28h rim with washers can take alot more.

I have used and sold alot of these rims and it is not one known for failures.

so a rim failure could be due to a;
    1) low spoke count and the rider stressed it too much,
    20 no washers,
    3) excessive tension on some or all spokes,
    4) rim defect
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    The arc31 are working out lovely on my monster MTB with 25c road tyres, I've been bouncing off road a few times now
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Wheely33
    what spoke count is the arc22 wheelset? if it is 24 rear then even with washers i would say a safe weight limit of 80kg should reduce the risk of rim cracking to near zero. the 28h rim with washers can take alot more.

I have used and sold alot of these rims and it is not one known for failures.

so a rim failure could be due to a;
    1) low spoke count and the rider stressed it too much,
    20 no washers,
    3) excessive tension on some or all spokes,
    4) rim defect
    24 spoke and they don't have or use washers. I did ask them to rebuild with washers.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    I picked up a set of Elite 38's the other year 20/24 jobs. Out the box the tensions were a little off so sorted that. Only problem I had was a spoke failing on the rear after a rather thuddy pothole. Im not light either coming in at 87Kg. I often bunny hop over things or up onto kerbs cant say ive noted any problems.

I think generally the issue is the building, its all done by machine so either buy them when they have a silly offer an either tension them yourself or get your LBS to.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,768
    Step83 wrote:
    I think generally the issue is the building, its all done by machine so either buy them when they have a silly offer an either tension them yourself or get your LBS to.
    Although there was a lot of arguing about it on the other thread, this was the overall consensus as I recall.
  • Wheely33
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Step83 wrote:
    Although there was a lot of arguing about it on the other thread, this was the overall consensus as I recall.

Given the vintage of the thread in question you would have thought they might have addressed said issues by now. That said I'd buy from them again at their sale prices. Having said that the Mavic Kysyrium Pros that I also have are leagues ahead performance wise. Not that I'd ever spend that sort of money on wheels : I was lucky that they came fitted to a bike that I bought for a very good price anyway :D
  • MisterMuncher
    It's all a bit like planet x. You're buying nice components, but the build of same might not meet expectations. I had to send my last Superstar wheels back, they weren't remotely well made. In fairness to them, the second attempt was much, much better. Took a snarky email to get it right, and it was a pain in the hole, but the price was too good to ignore. To me, the extra 200 notes to get it right first time didn't work.

For all of that, they'll be my last set I buy from them. They're good wheels once sorted, but I've not got the time to send wheels back, piss about with tape, sealant etc because the basic build was shite. I'm​ going back to my local man for my next set. There's a lot to be said for peace of mind.
  • MisterMuncher
    It's all a bit like planet x. You're buying nice components, but the build of same might not meet expectations. I had to send my last Superstar wheels back, they weren't remotely well made. In fairness to them, the second attempt was much, much better. Took a snarky email to get it right, and it was a pain in the hole, but the price was too good to ignore. To me, the extra 200 notes to get it right first time didn't work.

For all of that, they'll be my last set I buy from them. They're good wheels once sorted, but I've not got the time to send wheels back, piss about with tape, sealant etc because the basic build was shite. I'm​ going back to my local man for my next set. There's a lot to be said for peace of mind.
  • veronese68
    Wheely33 wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Step83 wrote:

Given the vintage of the thread in question you would have thought they might have addressed said issues by now. That said I'd buy from them again at their sale prices.
    I doubt the issues would have been addressed given the total denial from the guy that runs the place that there were ever any issues or that machine built wheels could have any variation in spoke tension. But you are right to buy from them when they have a sale on as you are getting the components at a good price.
  • londoncommuter
    londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
    Has anyone tried the free re-truing?

My rear is slightly out of true and my bike has a hideous creaking which is either the wheels or bottom bracket (this is after use so I'm not having a pop at them).

None of the cheapo couriers will take a box that big so it looks like ParcelForce at £12 is the cheapest. Better off putting that towards a local shop checking all the tensions?
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Bate?

tSnR52d.jpg
    left the forum March 2023
  • londoncommuter
    Hee hee. No really.

I can do it myself and make a bad job, get a local shop to charge me £15 a wheel (and I'm guessing that would be just to fix the slight out of true) or pay £12 for postage for Superstar to get their fleet of robots to true and check tensions.

We have a by all accounts amazing wheelsmith nearby but from getting a wheel build quote a while ago I'm guessing it would cost more than the wheels.
  • veronese68
    I thought that can had been opened a while ago. I'd get them trued locally. Not sure if sending them back gets them done by a machine, a person or a competent person.
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,208
    Hee hee. No really.

I can do it myself and make a bad job, get a local shop to charge me £15 a wheel (and I'm guessing that would be just to fix the slight out of true) or pay £12 for postage for Superstar to get their fleet of robots to true and check tensions.

We have a by all accounts amazing wheelsmith nearby but from getting a wheel build quote a while ago I'm guessing it would cost more than the wheels.

Please do this and post a review here; you'd be doing a public service. Having said that, I didn't have the balls to do it myself, so I can't really talk...
  • Wheely33
    Still not brave enough to use the rebuilt Arc22 rear wheel for long trips ...... When it went ping last time I walked down a very long Welsh hill in cleated shoes, bike on shoulder being frowned at by on coming traffic ( no pavement s ) as if I'd chosen to be in said pridicament for a laugh.... Till a very nice ( in every sense ) young lady stopped her Merc' estate and gave me a lift to the nearest civilisation from whience another good Samaritan gave me a lift to mates house from whom I borrowed a wheel to get home..... Doubt my luck would be so good second time around.. Though I would quite like to meet the Mercedes-Benz driving blonde lovely again .....Maybe I should risk it !
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    i have another set that need slight truing no fault of the wheels really more the shockingly bad Windshire and Mallorca roads and me smashing a straight line over craters, i could go local or be the guinea pig, a wheel true is £10 per wheel from the LBS so a pair for £12 sounds okay.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • londoncommuter
    Just measured the box and I reckon it could squeak under MyHermes restrictions so £7.99 delivery. Got to be worth a punt. Wish I knew whether it was the wheels creaking or something else but I haven't got another set to try on the bike at the moment.
  • paul1000
    paul1000 Posts: 190
    Had a couple of pairs of their wheels, mine have been fine, the latest ones are Alex rims 550 with their switch hubs and laser spokes, all for £119.
  • Wheely33
    Paul1000 wrote:
    Had a couple of pairs of their wheels, mine have been fine, the latest ones are Alex rims 550 with their switch hubs and laser spokes, all for £119.

Well to be fair my experience with their products has been exactly 50/50. The first set were perfectly fine and I've put in many trouble free miles on them, in fact it's the rear from that set that I'm still using with the Arc 22 front. Looks a little unusual as the rear Pave28 is Black the Arc22 is anodised red ! Not a bad combination of rim depths though.
    The prospect of of a 40 mile walk or taxi ride home does undermine ones confidence in a wheel set though. As I said earlier there was absolutely no quibbling from them about putting it right though.