Forum home Road cycling forum Training, fitness and health

Training Peaks - what am I missing?

VamPVamP Posts: 674
I have taken out the free trial of TP, as I was feeling a bit limited with GC being confined to a single computer. Now I am either missing something, or TP is just not fit for purpose. Just a few major issues - cannot seed FTP over time, doesn't allow analysis by finding intervals, does not support bulk upload of files(!!!).

I am now thinking even Strava is better. And they want to charge £75 for that? Makes me appreciate GC all over again.

Maybe I should be looking at WKO4 instead?

Posts

  • cgfw201cgfw201 Posts: 669
    VamP wrote:
    I have taken out the free trial of TP, as I was feeling a bit limited with GC being confined to a single computer. Now I am either missing something, or TP is just not fit for purpose. Just a few major issues - cannot seed FTP over time, doesn't allow analysis by finding intervals, does not support bulk upload of files(!!!).

    I am now thinking even Strava is better. And they want to charge £75 for that? Makes me appreciate GC all over again.

    Maybe I should be looking at WKO4 instead?

    Not sure it will track FTP over time. What do you mean by analysis of intervals? When looking at a ride file there's pretty much no limit to the level of detail you can get into when looking at specific sections/intervals or the whole activity. It also auto-finds peak 2s-5s-1m etc power/hr and shows you where they are.

    Not sure about bulk uploads. When I started using TP last October I linked it with Strava and everything just transferred over no trouble.
  • VamPVamP Posts: 674
    cgfw201 wrote:
    VamP wrote:
    I have taken out the free trial of TP, as I was feeling a bit limited with GC being confined to a single computer. Now I am either missing something, or TP is just not fit for purpose. Just a few major issues - cannot seed FTP over time, doesn't allow analysis by finding intervals, does not support bulk upload of files(!!!).

    I am now thinking even Strava is better. And they want to charge £75 for that? Makes me appreciate GC all over again.

    Maybe I should be looking at WKO4 instead?

    Not sure it will track FTP over time. What do you mean by analysis of intervals? When looking at a ride file there's pretty much no limit to the level of detail you can get into when looking at specific sections/intervals or the whole activity. It also auto-finds peak 2s-5s-1m etc power/hr and shows you where they are.

    Not sure about bulk uploads. When I started using TP last October I linked it with Strava and everything just transferred over no trouble.


    GC's 'find intervals' feature allows you to quickly grab any sized intervals, so say you have done a 3x10, 5x5, or 5x3+5x2 you can just define the durations you want and it will calculate multiple metrics for those intervals and save them to your ride summary for a quick at a glance analysis at any subsequent point in time. I don't see anything like this in TP, just looking at each interval in turn, and as soon as you move on to the next one, the previous is lost.

    I have several years of data I'd like to use in TP, but uploading it a file at a time is nuts. I don't want to use Strava manipulated files, when I have the original uncorrupted .fit files.

    No ability to amend FTP for historical data just means the performance manager numbers are worthless.
  • cgfw201cgfw201 Posts: 669
    VamP wrote:
    cgfw201 wrote:
    VamP wrote:
    I have taken out the free trial of TP, as I was feeling a bit limited with GC being confined to a single computer. Now I am either missing something, or TP is just not fit for purpose. Just a few major issues - cannot seed FTP over time, doesn't allow analysis by finding intervals, does not support bulk upload of files(!!!).

    I am now thinking even Strava is better. And they want to charge £75 for that? Makes me appreciate GC all over again.

    Maybe I should be looking at WKO4 instead?

    Not sure it will track FTP over time. What do you mean by analysis of intervals? When looking at a ride file there's pretty much no limit to the level of detail you can get into when looking at specific sections/intervals or the whole activity. It also auto-finds peak 2s-5s-1m etc power/hr and shows you where they are.

    Not sure about bulk uploads. When I started using TP last October I linked it with Strava and everything just transferred over no trouble.


    GC's 'find intervals' feature allows you to quickly grab any sized intervals, so say you have done a 3x10, 5x5, or 5x3+5x2 you can just define the durations you want and it will calculate multiple metrics for those intervals and save them to your ride summary for a quick at a glance analysis at any subsequent point in time. I don't see anything like this in TP, just looking at each interval in turn, and as soon as you move on to the next one, the previous is lost.

    I have several years of data I'd like to use in TP, but uploading it a file at a time is nuts. I don't want to use Strava manipulated files, when I have the original uncorrupted .fit files.

    No ability to amend FTP for historical data just means the performance manager numbers are worthless.

    ok. got no idea on all these really. can't use GC as don't have a laptop, but yet to find anything TP can't do for what I need, but sounds like they approach things slightly differently.
  • supermurph09supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    Why not just use the lap button on your device? Takes a lot of the guess work out.
  • VamPVamP Posts: 674
    Why not just use the lap button on your device? Takes a lot of the guess work out.


    Is that what you do? I don't think I could be relied on to do that consistently, especially at the end of the interval :D and short sprint intervals like 30:30 would be totally beyond me

    With GC there is no guess work - you give it the intervals you want and it returns the best hits. Then you can further slice it up, so if you want to see what your best 10 minutes in a 20 minute interval was it's easy to do.

    I guess what I'm learning here that I am happy with GC and TP is not the upgrade I had hoped it would be.
  • napoleondnapoleond Posts: 18,633
    Training peaks is fantastic for setting training and using the diary system, both for myself and clients. It links in with other services like MyFitnessPal to add metrics such as weight and nutrition.
    I use WKO4 for detailed analysis of data. It links directly in to training peaks, downloading the data from there. It can find intervals etc. It's a great piece of software.

    However for analysing your own data in detail, for free, GC is tremendous. The aerolab feature is pretty cool too.
    Twitter - @NapD
    Strava - Alex Taylor (sportstest.co.uk)
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • VamPVamP Posts: 674
    napoleond wrote:
    Training peaks is fantastic for setting training and using the diary system, both for myself and clients. It links in with other services like MyFitnessPal to add metrics such as weight and nutrition.
    I use WKO4 for detailed analysis of data. It links directly in to training peaks, downloading the data from there. It can find intervals etc. It's a great piece of software.

    However for analysing your own data in detail, for free, GC is tremendous. The aerolab feature is pretty cool too.

    Thanks.

    I think I had inflated expectations.
  • I don't see the advantage of paying for what is free unless you are a coached athlete
  • napoleondnapoleond Posts: 18,633
    I don't see the advantage of paying for what is free unless you are a coached athlete

    My clients get TP premium included. It's great for me due to the link to WKO4 and easily plan/move/create workouts. Otherwise GC is a no brainer really.
    Twitter - @NapD
    Strava - Alex Taylor (sportstest.co.uk)
    ABCC Cycling Coach
Sign In or Register to comment.