Training when you have a sinus infection

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,592
Morning all,

I am nearly 4 months into Trainer Road - 12 weeks of base training completed and am into the 2nd week of the build phase.

Unfortunately this time of year corresponds with my worse hayfever symptoms, though I am trying various remedies, it appears I have a reasonably disruptive sinus infection too. Last week I took one night nurse tablet (To guarantee some sleep so I can work) for 3 of the 4 school nights, but since then I have not had to take any.

Usually when I get an infection or am a bit under the weather I stop riding, or in the last two years just carry out gentle rides, which I have found really beneficial, but as I am on this training course, I am really keen to just plough on.
When I was feeling at my lowest, I carried out a workout, but dropped it to 95% to be cautious, and since then have been running them at 100%, some with intensity of 0.9, and have managed them perfectly well, with no obvious side effects or worsening of the infection\symptoms.

I have three rides which are fairly hard to complete this week, and then a further five next week, before it does into the 'easier' week to build up to an FTP - so I am planning to make it through to that far, and see how I am fairing, but just wanted to check what other people would do, or have done?
I've seen so much progress I am really reluctant to take my foot off the gas, and am thinking if I can get through this not being completely fit, then once I am free of the infection, it will feel that much easier, AND I won't have gone backwards or stayed static in terms of progress.

Would like to hear your personal experiences and how you have tacked this,

Thanks
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18