North Korea/US

2»

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,857
    I think he's backed himself into a corner. Does he honestly think that a Nuclear war is going to leave him anything to rule over? Surely, he has advisor's? Maybee he's locked all the good one''s up and is a nutter leading a bunch of nutters being advised by a bunch of nutters. Is he so desperate to hang on to power that he's wiling to get nuked?
    I think we should use some hot air balloons and shower the country with chocolate, phones, DVD's, US Dollars...
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 59,970
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Garry H wrote:
    Stock up on tinned food and head for the hills!
    So you don't have to do anything then Garry?
    just legalise the marriage to his sisters cusin'

:D:D jokin
    You may be both jokin' and right :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,577
    Pinno wrote:
    I think he's backed himself into a corner. Does he honestly think that a Nuclear war is going to leave him anything to rule over? Surely, he has advisor's? Maybee he's locked all the good one''s up and is a nutter leading a bunch of nutters being advised by a bunch of nutters. Is he so desperate to hang on to power that he's wiling to get nuked?
    I think we should use some hot air balloons and shower the country with chocolate, phones, DVD's, US Dollars...
    U.S.A. Is a huge area to cover with balloons though.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,196
    Pinno wrote:
    I expect that Kim Jong very Ill

So ill that he is in fact dead.
  • pinno
    It's all theatre...

Still sure about that Ugo?

Seems to be some serious posturing and now Trump called all the senators for a security meeting. It's not a good situation.
    Might be time people started marching on the streets in the US .
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Kim Jong-Un is gradually being backed into a corner. How he is going to come out of this without losing face and still maintaining his iron grip on N.Korea is difficult to see. I wonder too, if the majority of the N.Korean population are aware of the military build up by the US.
    Unfortunately I think this could well end up in yet another conflict.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 74,813
    I can't see it ending up in a conflict.

It's in no-one's interest; not the local powers, NK & SK, nor the super powers, China & the US.

NK has rather been conditioned to use shows of strength to win concessions. They do something inappropriate like a missile test, America gets angry, America says "if you stop we'll offer some aid", NK goes "OK", take the aid, and gets back to building missiles.
  • TheBigBean
    I can't see it ending up in a conflict.

It's in no-one's interest; not the local powers, NK & SK, nor the super powers, China & the US.

That's true.
    NK has rather been conditioned to use shows of strength to win concessions. They do something inappropriate like a missile test, America gets angry, America says "if you stop we'll offer some aid", NK goes "OK", take the aid, and gets back to building missiles.

That's not true. North Korea needs an active aggressive enemy to unite its people and continue the current leadership. It needs to play the world is against us card. Trump is helping nicely with that.

The sanctions have hurt North Koreans. The aid is usually humanitarian aid that is independent of politics e.g. food.

Sanctions only work against democracies.
  • pinno
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Sanctions only work against democracies.

This is true.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,301
    Pinno wrote:
    It's all theatre...

Still sure about that Ugo?

Seems to be some serious posturing and now Trump called all the senators for a security meeting. It's not a good situation.
    Might be time people started marching on the streets in the US .

I have to be honest... I don't particularly care about what happens in NK... either way I don't think it is going to affect me in any way, shape or form. I have no simpathy for Trump, or for the NK leader... whichever of the two ends up in the dust is a win for everybody... if people die in the process, I am sorry but people die every day... famine, wars, diseases, earthquakes, floods, draughts... what's different about a missile?
    It would be the same story once again... war: universal condemnation of violence followed by broad endorsement of the stronger contender

That said, I still think it's all theatre
    left the forum March 2023
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    TheBigBean wrote:

That's not true. North Korea needs an active aggressive enemy to unite its people and continue the current leadership. It needs to play the world is against us card. Trump is helping nicely with that.

Really? I thought that the media there was state controlled meaning the people will only here what they're told. I'd imagine internet access is very, very limited and even then a lot of it will be massively blocked.

My point, your average North Korean won't have the slightest idea on what is happening in the outside world.
  • TheBigBean
    Dinyull wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

Really? I thought that the media there was state controlled meaning the people will only here what they're told. I'd imagine internet access is very, very limited and even then a lot of it will be massively blocked.

My point, your average North Korean won't have the slightest idea on what is happening in the outside world.

Yes, media is state controlled. There is no outside internet, TV. or phones. North Korea controls the flow information in an unimaginable way. Nonetheless, it is easier to use real life events of hardship than fabricating them.
  • TheBigBean
    Looks like Moon Jae-in has won the election in South Korea, so potentially a return to the Sunshine Policy.