Dream jobs

Comments

• OK, I was dicking around...
    I read recently that you could work for someone who was unkind but wise, or unwise but kind, but not both (either way). And I think that genuinely sums it up. The happiest man I know builds boats in a small team and could not be more pleased.
    I am a faceless beurocrat working for HM Govt and it is wank. Roll on the next cull and I will apply for redundancy. I might strike out on me own...maybe a micropub?
    When I was younger, my dream job was librarian. I really liked the idea of being surrounded by books in the peace and quiet. Now libraries are crèches full of hellions.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Garry H wrote:
    Bus driver
    Ambulance Man
    Ticket Inspector
    I won't open letter bombs for you. :D
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    :wink:
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    For me I'm not so sure it is a dream job now but about 20 years ago I had involvement in motorsport journalism and photography (I wanted just to take photos but I offered to write reports for rallies which the magazine said yes to).
    I got paid peanuts but did get to see great motorsport events (Scottish car rallies in the main) and speak to the crews - was great fun. Eventually trying to do that and work full-time just was too much hassle.
    Around the time I stopped digital was appearing and more and more people seemed to be attending rallies with the intention of taking photos and putting them online to promote themselves - rallying has changed now so possibly doing F1 or Moto GP would be where I'd want to go, given a choice.
    At the time I even got an interview with Motoring News but pretty much told them I wanted more money than they would be paying as it meant moving to London but often I think jobs with them, whilst very poorly paid, led to other things. I had a mortgage to pay though and decided it wasn't the right move.
    The idea of travelling the world and getting entry to big motorsport events and taking photos - that'd do me.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,515
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    My dream job would be the navigator on the ferry that runs from Cowes to East Cowes on the IOW.
    It's good to see people still have ambition.
    All well and good, Stevo, but ambition will get you nowhere.
    Maybe not in your dream job...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,410
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    My dream job would be the navigator on the ferry that runs from Cowes to East Cowes on the IOW.
    We know what your dream job is Stevo

https://youtu.be/LqQlCOmXuHM
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Fighter Pilot. Can't be anything better than being paid to fly fast jets. However it is far too late for me. However when I get to the point when mortgage paid and kids left home (ha!) then my ideal job would be to work in a garden centre/nursery, tending to the plants.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • Stevo_666
    seanoconn wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

The chartered accountant or the lion tamer?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo 666 wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

The chartered accountant or the lion tamer?
    Same thing, surely. That's what every accountant has always told me. If I could stay awake that long.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • Stevo_666
    RAF.jpg
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    Having spent my teens and twenties crashing 2 stroke motorbikes into hedges trying to emulate my heroes Randy Mamola, Kenny Roberts and Mick Doohan, I wish I'd had a crack at bike racing. Man those guys were absolute God's to me. I recently got to see Mick Doohan's house on the Gold Coast and I'm even more jealous of him now!
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Shortfall wrote:
    Having spent my teens and twenties crashing 2 stroke motorbikes into hedges trying to emulate my heroes Randy Mamola, Kenny Roberts and Mick Doohan, I wish I'd had a crack at bike racing. Man those guys were absolute God's to me. I recently got to see Mick Doohan's house on the Gold Coast and I'm even more jealous of him now!

mee too... but i did have ago at it, in my 20's, club racing around air fields and the occasional Mallory or Cadwell,

i then rode with Kevin Schwantz as he cycled past me at the Maratona bike race, 3 or 4 years ago, i clocked the name (not unusual) but his race no was 34 !!! so gave it away! we did bit an bit over the last few km's 'till the last 100m where he out sprinted me, he shook my hand afterwards before he was engulfed in PR people.

@ 54 i still dream of being a pro cyclist9you never know!) even after all the scandals and its tarnished image, it s the one thing i wish i d stuck at, it would be my dream job.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    mamba80 wrote:
    Shortfall wrote:

mee too... but i did have ago at it, in my 20's, club racing around air fields and the occasional Mallory or Cadwell,

i then rode with Kevin Schwantz as he cycled past me at the Maratona bike race, 3 or 4 years ago, i clocked the name (not unusual) but his race no was 34 !!! so gave it away! we did bit an bit over the last few km's 'till the last 100m where he out sprinted me, he shook my hand afterwards before he was engulfed in PR people.

@ 54 i still dream of being a pro cyclist9you never know!) even after all the scandals and its tarnished image, it s the one thing i wish i d stuck at, it would be my dream job.

Watching Kevin Schwartz getting sideways everywhere on that Suzuki was unreal. Grand Prix 500s in the 80s and 90s whilst not at the Pinnacle of technology certainly provided the most incredible racing and test of rider skill and bravery. 180 odd horse power concentrated in a small portion of the rev range, massive steps in power, virtually no electronic aids and the very real prospect of being high sided every weekend. F1 take note. This was as much about the rider as the machine. Anyway, wrong thread for this I suppose.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Garry H wrote:
    Ambulance Man

Well overrated to the point of being a bit crap. Occasional comedy but too many buffoons and boredom.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,254
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    RAF.jpg

I remember them playing at sitting and looking at a computer screen for hours on end.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    My dream job was as a designer, everyday was a laugh, earning more money than you could shake two sticks at, a passion and a job rolled in to one, also lectured at arts institutes and universities, got paid to talk about design to interested students (there were some) but the best part was being able to stop work at 51

ideal work life balance - I used to do what I liked, now I get to do what I like :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,702
    If I was good at it, I can't see why I wouldn't like being a hedgie.
  • Matthewfalle
    Being Stacey Dooley's biatch.

Imagine TDSD shouting at you, it would be lush.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Garry H
    A Hedgehog? Nah, you'd be shite.
  • Garry H
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    RAF.jpg

"Can you honestly remember anyone playing Air Operations Support"
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Not this job. When it's dull it's properly dull and when it's interesting it's often only interesting because it's dangerous. Frequently work all day without any break at all, work far too many nights and weekends and the money isn't that great. At the moment I'm pissed off as I'm injured as a result of work, who twisted my arm into working when already damaged making my injury even worse.

I will, obviously, be leaving. Just not the best time to start something new at the moment. Want to wait for the girlfriend to finish her PhD and see where she ends up before I decide what to move onto. If nothing else, I'm gaining "experience" in my job at the moment so may as well stick it out for that and because I lack the motivation to find another position if it's only going to be for a few months.

On a more positive note, my last job was amazing. Really miss it but the university shut us down as we were deemed surplus to requirements/a more lucrative option became available for them. Knew it wasn't going to be forever when I started but it had a really good balance of hands on work, brainy stuff, bit of teaching involved and a fun boss/manager, as well as being in an awesome location with a work life balance.
  • rick_chasey
    Garry H wrote:

Hedge fund Portfolio manager.
  • Matthewfalle
    Garry H wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    RAF.jpg

"Can you honestly remember anyone playing Air Operations Support"

AOS is also known as "smash the RAF bird". It's a great game.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Shortfall wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:
    Shortfall wrote:

Watching Kevin Schwartz getting sideways everywhere on that Suzuki was unreal. Grand Prix 500s in the 80s and 90s whilst not at the Pinnacle of technology certainly provided the most incredible racing and test of rider skill and bravery. 180 odd horse power concentrated in a small portion of the rev range, massive steps in power, virtually no electronic aids and the very real prospect of being high sided every weekend. F1 take note. This was as much about the rider as the machine. Anyway, wrong thread for this I suppose.

yep the yanks on the whole ruled the roost! with their background of oval dirt bike racing, Schwartz and Lawson were my favourites, even sprayed my z1000R from white to Kawasaki racing green to match... then promptly smacked it up with my then GF on the back, she sued me for damages and won!
    I guess i was her dream job! lol!

working in telcoms as it converged into IT has given me financial freedom, that i could only have dreamed of in my 20s.
  • Matthewfalle
    Garry H wrote:

So, any job in the world and you want to do that?

Blimey - for once I am lost for words......

Personally I'd rather beat my bell end wafer thin with a steak tenderiser.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Garry H
    Garry H wrote:

Thanks for the clarification. I honestly thought you meant hedgehog
  • rick_chasey
    Welcome ;).
  • rick_chasey
    Garry H wrote:

So, any job in the world and you want to do that?

Blimey - for once I am lost for words......

Personally I'd rather beat my bell end wafer thin with a steak tenderiser.

What's not to like? Be paid a fair bit to be right about stuff?

Even better if you can do it being contrarian.

Unfortunately I'm not very good at being right about that stuff.
  • Garry H
    A millionaire astronaut playboy.
  • Garry H
    Welcome ;).
    What do you do? Recruitment isn't it?