Wheels for the mountains

2»

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Singleton wrote:
    I have riding buddies with multiple sets of wheels but they end up confused over which set to take for a specific days riding - e.g. today we will go uphill and downhill, there will also be some flat sections and a few cross winds.....

I went with these and find them great for all conditions and courses: https://www.huntbikewheels.com/collecti ... eep-24wide

Life's too short for multiple wheelsets ! Keeping it simple has a lot to be said for it.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Fenix wrote:
    Singleton wrote:
    I have riding buddies with multiple sets of wheels but they end up confused over which set to take for a specific days riding - e.g. today we will go uphill and downhill, there will also be some flat sections and a few cross winds.....

I went with these and find them great for all conditions and courses: https://www.huntbikewheels.com/collecti ... eep-24wide

Life's too short for multiple wheelsets ! Keeping it simple has a lot to be said for it.

Yup - a lot to be sad for that. The car racing series I do only allows one control tyre which is so much easier than another series where you could run a wet tyre - that decision to swap wheels depending upon conditions is taken away.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • type:epyt
    type:epyt Posts: 766
    edited April 2017
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    JesseD wrote:
    however the advice you have decided to give (which wasn’t asked for) is you need to lose weight, and wheels won’t make a difference.

I don't think I've ever said 'you need to lose weight' as such, but I stand by the principle that it is likely in your case that you could drop 2-3kg more effectively than dropping a mere 200-300g off the bike. It's difficult to argue against that when you say you are under 6ft and currently at 82kg. I also said 'no offence' in an earlier post, but that seems to have been ignored in the headlong rush to become offended.
    JesseD wrote:
    Also have a read back, I have never mentioned climbing wheels,

Well, actually you did, which is why I said it...see below
    JesseD wrote:
    I am looking at buying a pair of climbing wheels

Anyway, buy some DA C24s and enjoy.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    JesseD, I never had a problem with the Zondas (c15) when I had them and i gave them a damn good thrashing until they wore out! Many in my club are also happy users of them. My only complaint is that I found them to be harsh but this was smoothed, to some degree, by running 25s. I would expect the new wider rims matched with decent 25s at the right pressure would be a very good combo.
  • Round ones,
    Round ones with nice stickers.

HPlus custom builds are good, fairly light and when you wear out the rims you can replace them at a relatively cheap price.

and I like their stickers.

However the
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    ignoring all the personal body type references I've been comparing my wheelsets and tyres combos over the last few weeks in preparation of several trips to the mountains, what i'm finding more noticeable is the overall type plus rim profile rather than weight, i'm still working out which will be ideal but on Saturday was really surprised that my 1230g handbuilt stans with 23c corsa CX tyres whilst great at climbing they were exhausting over a 3 hour hilly ride, they just seemed too bouncy and i felt every bit of the horrible Hampshire road surface.

On Sunday I did an almost identical distance on similar roads (same county) but riding superstar ultra with 25c rubino pro III, the ultra at 1550g have a slightly deeper profile and it was really windy yet they seem to cut through the wind and soak up the road buzz much better.

the rest of my testing has been on RS10, same tyres and 28c rubino pro tech and campag vento / fulcrum 7 / ultegra 6700 all with either 23c or 25c vittoria and michelin tyres.

You know I cant tell the weight difference, the corsa CX kept slipping on the road dust, until i dumped loads of pressure, as i said the biggest difference has been the profile. I'm taking two wheelsets with me and will try both but only with 25c tyres, i'm too old to have my teeth rattled out.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    philthy3 wrote:
    Just poodle around the local flats eating cake.

Pootle

Yeah, Apple deciding it knows what I want to type. :x
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Not sure on your height or build. I started out riding exactly at that weight. About 180 lbs. I have no room to talk about rider weight since I was exactly 180 lbs a year ago. I only mention it to say, from my experience, it matters when spending time going up.

If you're riding lots of elevation the best I can say at this point is that you'd be better off paring down your tools to what's necessary and water to one bottle and planning well on your water stops. Losing one full bottle will yield more than new rims. If the route has cafe stops or service stations on the route every 1hr you should be fine.

I dare say you may be better off buying a medium length cage RD and an 11-32 cassette if you don't have one on the bike right now.

When I did weigh 180 lb I rode on a triple ring with 11-28 and still had to take breaks mid-way on the steeper part of the climb up.

Now, I'm 165 with kit and shoes and ride a double with 11-28 on a race-bike. I've trained for a year quite hard for a rec or fun rider, and the 11-28 was still challenging over about 90 minutes of Cat II. I could have managed on a full day, but it would have been painful.

Maybe buy some race tubes and some GP 4000 S2's for the lightest wheels you have and make sure your gearing setup will work for a full day.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    If you can live with the fact that factory wheels are difficult to fix and you only want them for "climbing" and have 600 to spend, i d get DA 9000's - BC 10% discount from CRC.
    i ve the earlier 10sp versions and they are fantastic all round wheels (just not in too much wet weather though, rim wear) and your right about Fulcrums too!!!

BUT i ve carbon tubs weighing in at less than 1200gms and they make stuff all difference, its your pwr to weight that matters on super long climbs, i m about 78 to 80kg but when i drop to 76, its that that makes the difference in all styles of riding but esp in the Alpes.
  • MikeBrew
    MikeBrew Posts: 814
    I recently got a pair of Mavic Ksyrium Pro. They weigh in ata whisker under1500 grams, have the new wider internal rim dimensions for better air volume and comfort, and are Uber stiff. Bit pricey at circa £600, but fantastic climbing wheels. I know that some will say its largely a placebo effect and that light wheels don't make "that" much difference, but all I can say is they work fantastically well for me - placebo or not !
    Weight-wise I'm around 78KG at the moment, so not too dissimilar to OP's weight