Cycle Computers

myideal
myideal Posts: 231
edited May 2017 in Road buying advice
Seems that there are loads on the market, which really vary in price.

Out of interest which is the best computer for £ Vs Performance. I'm thinking something that does navigation would be nice and possibly Bluetooth as noticed those little wahoo bt cadence sensors which seem like a good idea. Think that is my best step forward as power meters seem so expensive and complex to have fitted.

Comments

• kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    myideal wrote:
    Seems that there are loads on the market, which really vary in price.

Out of interest which is the best computer for £ Vs Performance. I'm thinking something that does navigation would be nice and possibly Bluetooth as noticed those little wahoo bt cadence sensors which seem like a good idea. Think that is my best step forward as power meters seem so expensive and complex to have fitted.

I have the wahoo cadence sensor, they're great.
  • myideal
    What computer are you using that paired up with?
  • I've just got the Wahoo ELEMNT bolt and I'm really happy with it. The navigation is basic but works as well as I need it to. Unit itself is small, easy to read and pairs with everything I need it to.
  • I have the Lezyne super GPS, it replaced my ailing Garmin 500. Features are pretty similar but the Lezyne was £70 less than the Garmin.

Also worth noting that the latest version of the wahoo sensors have both Bluetooth and ANT+ connectivity.
  • myideal
    Have either of you had any annoying issues with the units that you find get in the way of making it perfect?
  • courtmed
    courtmed Posts: 164
    I bought a Garmin Edge 25 not all that long ago & now I wish I'd stumped up for the Edge 520 or something similar. Not too disappointed as I'm probably going to go for the Wahoo Elemnt Bolt soon whereas if I did have the 520 I'd (maybe!) find it harder to justify it :mrgreen:
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    myideal wrote:
    Have either of you had any annoying issues with the units that you find get in the way of making it perfect?

I've had a host of Garmin and was a firm advocate of them until recently when I switched to the Wahoo Elemnt. Garmin are prone to problems with firmware updates and take an age to rectify them. Wahoo had issues with the cloud a weekend or two ago and rectified it within 24 hours. Wahoo all the time for me now.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • myideal wrote:

I've had my speed sensor connection drop a couple of times, but I think that's the chinese sensors I bought off eBay rather than the computer.
  • myideal
    I don't understand some people on eBay.

Here is a wahoo elemnt on eBay:

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brand-New-Boxed ... nav=SEARCH

Started off reasonable, however look at the current price. Given on wiggle with the discounts they are currently giving loyal customers, you can get new for £225 or the bolt (when back in stock) for a similar price - you have to be foolish to pay this price on eBay.
  • StillGoing
    myideal wrote:

Started off reasonable, however look at the current price. Given on wiggle with the discounts they are currently giving loyal customers, you can get new for £225 or the bolt (when back in stock) for a similar price - you have to be foolish to pay this price on eBay.

Don't knock it. eBay is great if you're selling something with numpties out there prepared to pay more than they would pay for a new one from a retailer. The Bolt with Wiggle discount was £175 if you cna put up with a small screen. I can't so the Elemnt at £219 was the better deal.
  • myideal
    philthy3 wrote:
    myideal wrote:

No your right. I just don't get why anyone would be bidding that high for what is a 2nd hand unit, as there will be no warranty with it.

Like you say it's great for the seller, however you do have to wonder if someone is going to go through with that purchase?

Don't knock it. eBay is great if you're selling something with numpties out there prepared to pay more than they would pay for a new one from a retailer. The Bolt with Wiggle discount was £175 if you cna put up with a small screen. I can't so the Elemnt at £219 was the better deal.
  • myideal
    Well as stupidity goes on pricing we are now at a new level and still many more days to go.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brand-New-Box ... Swls5Y69aJ

This is now more than the bolt is on Wiggle at the moment and getting close to being more expensive than a new Elemnt.
  • StillGoing
    myideal wrote:
    Well as stupidity goes on pricing we are now at a new level and still many more days to go.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brand-New-Box ... Swls5Y69aJ

This is now more than the bolt is on Wiggle at the moment and getting close to being more expensive than a new Elemnt.

The Elemnt is more expensive than the Bolt anyway though. Cheapest I found it from on line retailers was £219.

What you have to appreciate, is that some of us don't want a small screen unit if we're long sighted. The Elemnt allows us to see more data rather than having to adjust the Bolt to maybe just 2 data fields. I bought an Elemnt after struggling with an 820 and its tiny screen size (similar to the Bolt) and the Elemnt has been a revelation.
  • myideal
    That's a fair point, however they are priced from new and remember this is a 2nd hand cycle computer that has no proof even it works. Just think some people really do over pay for things.

Mind you just noticed one of these listed on ebay;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bryton-Rider- ... SwvKtY9IvO

I think mine is excellent and for that price it looks reasonable to me. I guess it all depends what meets people's needs though.
  • StillGoing
    myideal wrote:
    That's a fair point, however they are priced from new and remember this is a 2nd hand cycle computer that has no proof even it works. Just think some people really do over pay for things.

Mind you just noticed one of these listed on ebay;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bryton-Rider- ... SwvKtY9IvO

I think mine is excellent and for that price it looks reasonable to me. I guess it all depends what meets people's needs though.

It isn't used according to the listing.
  • myideal
    All this talk of computers got me thinking about upgrading my trusty Bryton.

Decided after seeing a Wahoo on a friend's bike to have a look at a Garmin as well. In the end I've gone for the Garmin 520 which seems like a a really good piece of kit and just does what it says. Also Halfords have it at a cracking price at the moment, which just makes it comparable to the bolt.

There isn't that much between them, but have to say the Garmin feels more responsive and polished compared to the bolt. The open street maps when loaded on the computer are decent as well.

I did like my Bryton but this is definitely progress.
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    The only thing you will find with the Garmin compared to the bolt is the battery life on the 520 is terrible compared.
  • StillGoing
    Dannbodge wrote:
    The only thing you will find with the Garmin compared to the bolt is the battery life on the 520 is terrible compared.

And will be hit with technical issues once the next amendment to the firmware is made as it always does with Garmin.
  • myideal
    I know that's the problem with Garmin, however Wahoo doesn't feel as good as the Garmin. Believe me i wanted the Wahoo to work, however it just doesn't feel native.

I guess the increase in competition is good though as Garmin are being way more competitive on price at least.
  • dannbodge
    philthy3 wrote:
    Dannbodge wrote:

And will be hit with technical issues once the next amendment to the firmware is made as it always does with Garmin.

You say that but I've updated my firmware from the standard to 10, to 11 and then to the latest and I've *touches wood" not actually had any issues with it.
  • myideal
    Yes the 520 on the latest firmware seems to be very stable for me at the moment. Did a long ride today and it seemed to do everything I wanted - the open street maps I've loaded on to it are excellent and the responsiveness is bang on.

I guess like most things Garmin your best never buying when it first launches as you will get loads of bugs, but I can see when things settle whilst they are a different league.
  • myideal
    Has anyone used the Garmin Edge Cadence Sensor?

Would you recommend as a useful addition to bike or bit of a waste of time?
  • dannbodge
    I don't use the Garmin cadence sensor but I do use a mio speed and cadence.
    I mainly use cadence for indoor training but its also good to see how my efforta have changed in the road (what gear I was using for what segment time etc).
  • Man Of Lard
    Man Of Lard Posts: 903
    @myideal - what do you hope it's going to give you? Other than the obvious extra data points of how fast you were pedalling... I have one, primarily to keep myself in the 60-80 rpm range (without it I tend to grind along in too high a gear) and for additional stats geekery :)
  • StillGoing
    myideal wrote:
    Yes the 520 on the latest firmware seems to be very stable for me at the moment. Did a long ride today and it seemed to do everything I wanted - the open street maps I've loaded on to it are excellent and the responsiveness is bang on.

I guess like most things Garmin your best never buying when it first launches as you will get loads of bugs, but I can see when things settle whilst they are a different league.

Wait until the 1010 is released and the firmware is jiggered for every other device as usual.
  • myideal
    @myideal - what do you hope it's going to give you? Other than the obvious extra data points of how fast you were pedalling... I have one, primarily to keep myself in the 60-80 rpm range (without it I tend to grind along in too high a gear) and for additional stats geekery :)

I was wondering if it could be used as a tool maybe to push myself harder and build into my workout plans? Or is it not that much use really?
  • There's a nice deal on the Polar M400 GPS device with the H7 Bluetooth HRm for ~£120 at Wiggle, I hope it wasn't that price back in Feb, I paid ~£45 just for the HRM from there! :shock:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/polar-m400-with-hrm/

I'm kind of tempted myself, as I'm currently using my Nexus 7 2013 tablet to record my rides, which records fine but is a little bulky. I bought a Sony Smartwatch 3 a few months back, mainly for GPS recording, but it is far worse than the tablet and often takes a while to get an initial GPS (and even then sometimes loses a lock while out).
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • cgfw201
    cgfw201 Posts: 680
    There's a nice deal on the Polar M400 GPS device with the H7 Bluetooth HRm for ~£120 at Wiggle, I hope it wasn't that price back in Feb, I paid ~£45 just for the HRM from there! :shock:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/polar-m400-with-hrm/

I'm kind of tempted myself, as I'm currently using my Nexus 7 2013 tablet to record my rides, which records fine but is a little bulky. I bought a Sony Smartwatch 3 a few months back, mainly for GPS recording, but it is far worse than the tablet and often takes a while to get an initial GPS (and even then sometimes loses a lock while out).

You use a tablet for gps!? :lol:
  • myideal
    Looks like this could be going cheap for what it does.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bryton-Rider-50 ... nav=SEARCH

Have to admit I have been very impressed with my Bryton Rider 50. Deffo decent and cheap enough for someone new to the sport.
  • courtmed wrote:
    I bought a Garmin Edge 25 not all that long ago & now I wish I'd stumped up for the Edge 520 or something similar. Not too disappointed as I'm probably going to go for the Wahoo Elemnt Bolt soon whereas if I did have the 520 I'd (maybe!) find it harder to justify it :mrgreen:

I was literally in the exact same place as you. I got an edge 25 to save some cash, soon desiring a bigger, badder computer. I recently set myself up with an elemnt bolt and it's amazing. Does everything I could ever dream of, is future proof, phone settings are great and best of all, my fancy k-edge mount was adaptable. You wouldnt regret upgrading to the bolt from the 25.