This ain't gonna polish out

2»

Comments

• corriebee1
    corriebee1 Posts: 390
    Do felt not have a carbon replacement programme?

I'll look into that. The bike is a 2013 frame so I don't know how interested they will be, but worth a try.

Repair looking non cost effective at the moment.m, at £340 plus shipping there and back plus paint etc.

Which means I can buy a new bike. And a new second frame for a build project!
  • OMark
    OMark Posts: 23
    Bummer man! I'll second that it's worth checking out http://carbonbikerepair.co.uk/ as mentioned above. I've heard good things.
  • corriebee1
    OMark wrote:
    Bummer man! I'll second that it's worth checking out http://carbonbikerepair.co.uk/ as mentioned above. I've heard good things.

Nice email from the chap, but at £340 plus VAT plus paint plus delivery plus stripping the bike down plus building it back up again, sadly it's conmsiderably cheaper to get a new c2w bike.

I've just ordered this guy..............

bb6c70fd6635eded2e3d80ad06421180.jpg

Carbon frame, full 105, Shimano hydraulic discs.. Less than a grand. Being built on Tuesday at Rutland Histon. Yay.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    elbowloh wrote:
    Fenix wrote:
    Depends - the hanger is there to spare the frame.

What have you been doing to snap 2 ?

I know what the hanger is for.

1st time, climbing a hill, mid-way up it just snapped, wasn't changing gear and was in the saddle.

2nd time, I'd reached the top of a hill and stopped to wait for friends (in a fairly low gear). When they arrived and pushed the crank half a turn and it just snapped. Wasn't changing gear or anything else.

Either there is something seriously wrong with your bike or you are doing something to damage the hangers then. Do you lean the bike against its right hand side? Or lay it on the floor drive side down? Either it was damaged way before it snapped or something is hitting it hard - it shouldnt break under the conditions you describe, there must be a reason.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    corriebee1 wrote:
    OMark wrote:

Nice email from the chap, but at £340 plus VAT plus paint plus delivery plus stripping the bike down plus building it back up again, sadly it's conmsiderably cheaper to get a new c2w bike.

Carbon frame, full 105, Shimano hydraulic discs.. Less than a grand. Being built on Tuesday at Rutland Histon. Yay.

shinny!
  • waddlie
    waddlie Posts: 542
    corriebee1 wrote:
    OMark wrote:

Ah, you did it! That's probably the first time anyone's taken my advice on anything. Proper jealous, if I had a grand kicking around at the moment I'd be getting one too...
    Rules are for fools.
  • corriebee1
    Waddlie wrote:

Ah, you did it! That's probably the first time anyone's taken my advice on anything. Proper jealous, if I had a grand kicking around at the moment I'd be getting one too...

I did! Thanks for the heads up. I searched a few bargainous threads and this was the stand-out of the options.

Have just been out for a couple of afternoon "business" pints (and a couple of cheeky Marlboro Lights) in the sun, which i wouldn't have done had i been cycling so the week without the bike hasn't been entirely wasted!
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    you could go niche (and local) with Bowman Cycles.

Speak to Neil, he's a great guy.Tell him I pointed you in his direction.
    FCN = 4
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    MTB-Idle wrote:
    you could go niche (and local) with Bowman Cycles.

Speak to Neil, he's a great guy.Tell him I pointed you in his direction.

I'm tempted by these being a Dartford resident and all. Think it'd be quite cool to own something "produced" locally
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    That cube looks great for the money - tempted myself. Bit weird that they only give 175mm chainset with the 62cm model, can't imagine that making much difference in practice though. 9kg with hydraulic disks and 11 speed is great for the money.

Anyway, must also add, do take the opportunity to pick up a cheap frame/frameset and rebuild your broken bike - you will not regret it and will learn loads!

When I killed my Trek in a similar fashion ended up getting one of the blue ribble audax frames for less than £100 and it's great for anything that you wouldn't risk the good bike on.
  • corriebee1
    New bike day!!

Yippeeee!

So the "2 day click and collect" service from Rutland turned into 5 days, but i've had to drive into the office anyway for the last couple of days so it's not the end of the world.

Collected the bike this morning and I'm delighted to say it looks better in the flesh than it does on the pictures. Happy to be back on the road and contemplating a little ride out once i get home tonight. Got to get a couple of decent rides in over the weekend to re-start the training for the Etape Caledonia.
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    corriebee1 wrote:
    New bike day!!

Yippeeee!

So the "2 day click and collect" service from Rutland turned into 5 days, but i've had to drive into the office anyway for the last couple of days so it's not the end of the world.

Collected the bike this morning and I'm delighted to say it looks better in the flesh than it does on the pictures. Happy to be back on the road and contemplating a little ride out once i get home tonight. Got to get a couple of decent rides in over the weekend to re-start the training for the Etape Caledonia.

There is nothing quite like that new bike feeling
  • corriebee1
    Now that i've got the bike, i'm wondering about swapping out the Fulcrum Racing 77's for something a bit lighter. That would bring it down to something like the weight of my old Felt.

Any recomendations for compatible wheelsets that won't cost the earth? I know nothing about disc wheelsets. Seems to me like 1.6 kg for the pair is probably a decent weight to be aiming for?
  • apreading
    Check if your current wheels have 6 bolts or a single centre lock for the disc rotors. Whichever you have, you will want same again unless you want to replace the rotors too.

Also check what axles they have. Front will either be normal QR, 12mm or 15mm thru axles, rear will be either QR or 12mm. I think the Cube's are 12mm both ends? And rear dropouts will either be 135mm or 142mm apart. Again, make sure you get a wheelset that offers the same, particularly the rear axle length/dropout width. Quite a few wheels now can take adapters to fit any axle but length cant usually be altered.
  • corriebee1
    apreading wrote:
    Check if your current wheels have 6 bolts or a single centre lock for the disc rotors. Whichever you have, you will want same again unless you want to replace the rotors too.

Also check what axles they have. Front will either be normal QR, 12mm or 15mm thru axles, rear will be either QR or 12mm. I think the Cube's are 12mm both ends? And rear dropouts will either be 135mm or 142mm apart. Again, make sure you get a wheelset that offers the same, particularly the rear axle length/dropout width. Quite a few wheels now can take adapters to fit any axle but length cant usually be altered.

Thanks. That's really good advice. And stuff i didn't know before.

The axles are 12mm through bolts and 142 mm. They're 6 bolt rotors
  • apreading
    I wish they hadnt come up with 142mm spacing - I can understand thru-axcles but why change the spacing and then put 3.5mm spacers either side... 135mm has been the MTB standard until this came along. that will limit your choice more than anything, although some hubs have removable end caps and can switch between 135mm and 142mm.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/12x142-explained.html

My road bike has 15mm thru axle at the front and QR at the rear and honestly they didnt need any other standard than that...
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I just wish they'd left TA on MTBs - absolutely no need on non-suspended bikes
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • apreading
    But it would make sense to 'standardise' on one setup that both MTB and Road disc hubs used though. At least it would if there was only one standard...

Its the spacing difference that really gets me, other than that the axle diameter can be got around with clever design, my Novatec hubs can use QR, 12mm, 15mm happily and came with all the bits to swap.