This ain't gonna polish out

corriebee1
corriebee1 Posts: 390
edited April 2017 in Commuting chat
So...

Sent the derailleur through the frame this morning, after a snapped mech hanger. Guessng that's the end of the frame.

Needing a new c2w value bike and sharpirsh. Training for the etape Caledonia so need something fairly quick.

Anyone got any bright ideas? Could/should i bother trying to get a frame only (is that a thing under c2w?) and getting someone to rebuild it with the fairly poor quality parts on the Felt? Or has anyone seen anything in the sub £1,000 market i could grab (thinking Wiggle or Evans or the like).

17424987_10155135486898899_4002959128607902597_n.jpg?oh=dc3675f9371ab2c9458435bde32cd4b8&oe=5998DC2C

Comments

• j_mcd
    j_mcd Posts: 473
    How about the Eastways from Wiggle. They've got good reviews.
    Giant Defy Advanced 0 - Best
    Planet X London Road - Wet
    Montague Fit - Foldy thing that rarely gets used these days
  • smokey_bacon
    smokey_bacon Posts: 1,639
    Ah man that sucks! Ive used C2W a couple of times and while you have to put details of what you want on the voucher the shops ive been to are very flexible. Basicaly you can have what you want be it bike, frame, whatever. Ive just got a 2017 Allez Sport on C2W and its a great bike. Would recommend.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    corriebee1 wrote:

Needing a new c2w value bike and sharpirsh.

have you checked out how your c"w scheme works .... mine is only open quarterly and takes a month to get the cheque through .... aint no sharpish about it

you might want to see how long its going to take you to get the money as it might be quicker to bite the bullet and just go get a frame from the quickest place
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    fat daddy wrote:
    corriebee1 wrote:
    you might want to see how long its going to take you to get the money as it might be quicker to bite the bullet and just go get a frame from the quickest place
    A new frame would also be my suggestion, should save a bit of money if you've already got decent wheels and groupset.

Is your old bike a C2W bike? If so you could show your frame to the LBS where you bought it from and ask if they can do you a deal on anything.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Not had to use these guys, but apparently it's not as expensive as you think and the job they do is superb. Probably a quicker turn around that C2W too.

http://carbonbikerepair.co.uk/
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,765
    fat daddy wrote:
    have you checked out how your c"w scheme works .... mine is only open quarterly
    Why do companies do that? We can do ours any time.
    Hard luck their Corriebee, not sure what's good out there at the moment. Friend of mine got an Eastway last year and really likes it.
  • I used cyclescheme, accepted at most retailers. You can buy whole bike or frame/components. They turned it around very quickly, less than a week

https://www.cyclescheme.co.uk/get-a-bike/how-it-works
    GET WHEEZY - WALNUT LUNG RACING TEAM™
  • waddlie
    waddlie Posts: 542
    I'd be whipping out the 0% credit card and perusing 2016 bargains. Rutland have a tasty carbon Cube with 105 and hydros for £1K...
    Rules are for fools.
  • inbike
    inbike Posts: 264
    What components are on the Felt and how worn out are they?

Not much point paying a bike shop £100 to build up a new frame if you also need new chainrings, mechs, etc when you could have a brand new 11 speed setup and hydro brakes within your budget. (Or new Tiagra for less, which is also very good.)
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Definitely repairable.
  • corriebee1
    My company administers their own C2W scheme. So it's pretty simple as

Fill out form
    Buy a bike (from anywhere) on the company credit card for less than £1,000
    Ride Bike

The bb, crankset, manufacturer brakes are all 5-7,000 miles and 4 years old. I suspect there's not lots of value in them.
  • greenamex2
    greenamex2 Posts: 272
    Veronese68 wrote:
    fat daddy wrote:
    have you checked out how your c"w scheme works .... mine is only open quarterly
    Why do companies do that? We can do ours any time.
    Hard luck their Corriebee, not sure what's good out there at the moment. Friend of mine got an Eastway last year and really likes it.

Look on the bright side, ours is quarterly.
    And it is the Halfords scheme, speaking to a LBS this scheme is really not liked by independents...Halfords are taking a pretty big cut.
  • daddy0
    daddy0 Posts: 686
    At that budget I'd be looking at a lovely new Eastway myself too.
  • Waddlie wrote:
    I'd be whipping out the 0% credit card and perusing 2016 bargains. Rutland have a tasty carbon Cube with 105 and hydros for £1K...

They're all sold out now, Rutland, Hargroves and CRC
  • corriebee1
    I'm going to head up to Rutland this afternoon to sit on one of these....

https://www.rutlandcycling.com/320630/p ... -grey.aspx

I'm 6'2". The sizing chart would have me on a 62 cm frame, even though i was previously on a 58 Felt. I'm going to go and try the 60cm and see how it feels.

Have never had discs before. Not sure, but it does look like a good amount of bike for buck, and i actually quite like the colour scheme. I fancy a relaxed geometry (as per my previous Z6) and this seems to fit that bill.

Anybody got experience of these?
  • corriebee1 wrote:
    I'm going to head up to Rutland this afternoon to sit on one of these....

https://www.rutlandcycling.com/320630/p ... -grey.aspx

I'm 6'2". The sizing chart would have me on a 62 cm frame, even though i was previously on a 58 Felt. I'm going to go and try the 60cm and see how it feels.

Have never had discs before. Not sure, but it does look like a good amount of bike for buck, and i actually quite like the colour scheme. I fancy a relaxed geometry (as per my previous Z6) and this seems to fit that bill.

Anybody got experience of these?

Yes, I've got one, very pleased with it. As you say a lot of bike for the money. I wanted a bike i could spend all day on and it fits the bill

Sizing wise I would be a 54cm frame on most bikes but i went for the 56cm cube, the next option down felt too small. I'm only 5'8'' so hard to compare with you but going on my experience 60cm sounds about right
  • The matt paint is a b@stard for grease marks though
  • corriebee1
    The matt paint is a b@stard for grease marks though

My Felt Z6 is matt black. Guessing this one could be worse for staining! (i'm not a great bike cleaner)
  • Asprilla wrote:
    Not had to use these guys, but apparently it's not as expensive as you think and the job they do is superb. Probably a quicker turn around that C2W too.

Probably be about £100 if you strip the bike.....
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • veronese68
    corriebee1 wrote:
    I'm 6'2".
    Thought about used? This would fit you: viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13077749
    The only thing I'd change from my bike would be full hydraulics, as that already has. I'm half an inch shorter than you and ride a 57cm Pro6.
  • corriebee1
    Asprilla wrote:

Probably be about £100 if you strip the bike.....

I have asked them for a quote. I need a bike asap and having a Cube with discs that i can use for commuting means that if i get the Felt repaired i can build it up as a summer bike with higher end bits as and when required.

(I have no idea how to strip or build a bike so that'll be an education in itself! If i have the time, then it might be quite an enjoyable and educational experience)
  • corriebee1
    Veronese68 wrote:
    corriebee1 wrote:
    I'm 6'2".
    Thought about used? This would fit you: viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13077749
    The only thing I'd change from my bike would be full hydraulics, as that already has. I'm half an inch shorter than you and ride a 57cm Pro6.

Yeah, normally i'd be going for a used bike. But with the ability to grab a c2w bike, pay it over 18 months and free of high-rate tax, it'll work out cheaper than that Kinesis for the brand new Cube with 105.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • veronese68
    corriebee1 wrote:
    But with the ability to grab a c2w bike, pay it over 18 months and free of high-rate tax, it'll work out cheaper than that Kinesis for the brand new Cube with 105.
    So I should buy a new Cube you say? :mrgreen:
  • dyrlac
    dyrlac Posts: 751
    corriebee1 wrote:

I have asked them for a quote. I need a bike asap and having a Cube with discs that i can use for commuting means that if i get the Felt repaired i can build it up as a summer bike with higher end bits as and when required.

(I have no idea how to strip or build a bike so that'll be an education in itself! If i have the time, then it might be quite an enjoyable and educational experience)

I really, really recommend this. Provided you always budget sufficient time (including time for a trip(s) the shop and fetch the tool you swore you had), you will find that you will do a better job than the LBS; after all, you care far more to make things just so than any mechanic ever will. Have now built up 3 bikes from scratch with nothing more than youtube/parktools website to guide me (and, it must be said, a lot of swearing).
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    I've got a Z6 too (now my second bike), snapped the hanger twice. Luckily no damage to frame, but did break the mech and a couple of spokes.

Is it an inherent weakness in their design?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Depends - the hanger is there to spare the frame.

What have you been doing to snap 2 ?
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Fenix wrote:
    Depends - the hanger is there to spare the frame.

What have you been doing to snap 2 ?

I know what the hanger is for.

1st time, climbing a hill, mid-way up it just snapped, wasn't changing gear and was in the saddle.

2nd time, I'd reached the top of a hill and stopped to wait for friends (in a fairly low gear). When they arrived and pushed the crank half a turn and it just snapped. Wasn't changing gear or anything else.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    If it makes the OP feel any better, a Scottish friend of mine managed to break BOTH of the rear stays on a top-of-the-range Trek (Madone SLS or something) by catching a metal pole he was carrying (don't ask) in the rear wheel. Trek removed the both sets of stays from the bike and reattached new ones.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Do felt not have a carbon replacement programme?
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?