How to prepare for this one

term1te
term1te Posts: 1,462
I'm planning to take part in a hill climb TT on Thursday evening. Due to work commitments and the start time, I'm going to have to cycle there straight there from work. Its about 20 miles from work, and I should get there with 20 - 30 minutes to spare. Its a short sharp course, 1.3km with 132m elevation, with the last 200m at ca. 20%. Should I take it fairly easy cycling over, then neck a red bull and hope for the best, or is there a more scientific approach I could take given the circumstances?

Thanks

Comments

• thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,149
    I'm not an expert by any means, but I'd say don't kill yourself on the way there but use it as a bit of a warm up. Beware of cooling down too much before you set off, especially if you have a high start number.

Consider if you need to eat before you set off, or if you'll be able to manage until after the climb.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    I would make sure when you leave work your legs have a decent amount of glycogen in them, so eat well during the day .... your body is also capable of processing 1g carb per minute, so consider sticking 60g of carbs in your water bottle .. that way by the time you reach the race 1hr-1:30hr ? ..... your legs should still be well fed
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Stuff your face all day and sup water then pootle across hydrating lots then have a Red Bull and smash yourself to bits on the climb.

Then go and eat pork scratchings and drink ale to rehydrate/get essential nutrients, salt and vitamins back in the body.

That's what I used to when racin' after work and it didn't hurt me.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    Stuff your face all day and sup water then pootle across hydrating lots then have a Red Bull and smash yourself to bits on the climb.

Then go and eat pork scratchings and drink ale to rehydrate/get essential nutrients, salt and vitamins back in the body.

That's what I used to when racin' after work and it didn't hurt me.

I like the sound of this approach. However, did you win much?
  • maryka
    maryka Posts: 748
    Don't overfuel the day of the race, or the day before. Just be adequately hydrated and fuelled. Ride over there easy, resist the temptation to smash anything. Do a few shortish efforts towards the end of the ride over, 30secs to a minute at approximate race watts (whatever you can hold for the ~5 min or whatever the duration of the race is likely to be) nothing too taxing, just to remind your legs what they have to do. Sign on, get over to the start in good time, stay warm, light spinning around. Then do the race.
  • Baws oot.