Titanium Road bike frames?

2»

Comments

• tomisitt
    tomisitt Posts: 257
    tomisitt wrote:
    My Spin Spitfire Ti frame weighs 1400g,

What size is it and does that include forks?

Size ML, weight not including forks
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    You get Ti bikes that seem dull to ride and great ones, same with carbon. You get comfy to ride ones in both materials and uncomfortable ones. The material is no indicator of how it will ride in my experience.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    tomisitt wrote:
    My Spin Spitfire Ti frame weighs 1400g,

What size is it and does that include forks?

Let's flip this.

Show us some Ti frames that are 2 or 3 kg heavier than, say, a 900g carbon frame.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • Has anyone mentioned how dull the ride is on the majority of Ti frames?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • gweeds
    Has anyone mentioned how dull the ride is on the majority of Ti frames?

Show us some Ti frames that are 2 or 3 kg heavier than, say, a 900g carbon frame.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Gweeds wrote:

Are you trying to indicate that weight is a factor to how dull a ride is? It's difficult to teel, as what you've said here is no answer to the question you were answering.
  • gweeds
    No. I'm asking him to show us his original claim.

Any frame material can be made to be dull. We also already know this. It's not specific to Ti.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288

Unless you've ridden the majority of titanium bikes that statement is pure BS and probably designed to derail the thread away from you having to support your statement about ti frames being 2-3 kg heavier than equivalent carbon. Top trolling though.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,516
    edited March 2017
    @ OP.

I paid for a bespoke ti frame as the beautiful lines, welding and a bike for life were the initial trigger. While the frame builder can amplify certain characteristics in the bikes handling means a bike built specific to your requirements and not just your physical measurements. Add some tyres, different pressures, road surface, speed and then the variable kick in.

As for longevity please be aware that a "lifetime warranty" on the frame does not necessarily mean what most people would assume as some manufacturers small print suggest the "expected life of a frame being 5 years or so". Apart from the lightness Ti is difficult to weld and is quite a brittle metal as I had a rear stay crack on my bike and while the frame was replaced FOC it took about 4 months from claim to delivery. OK the manufacturers are in North America.

The biggest impact was emotionally. It was built for me, my measurements and ride characteristics which made me smile every time i rode, cleaned and looked at it. How weird is that but thats how it is.

Would I buy Ti again? No, simply because I don't see that Ti is that material and if i went down this path again I'd engage the services of a UK frame builder who uses steel and still get the emotional connection and have a bespoke frame in steel made on these shores.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    This has been repeated so many times.
    You can buy noodly or very stiff carbon bikes.
    You can buy noodly or very stiff titanium bikes made from 6.4 alloy.
    You have to set your priorities and search from there. Titanium is great for commuting as it won't rust. I went for Lynskey as they have nice welds and are of decent value. It's just over 8 kg with Chorus and Zondas.
  • wasp707
    wasp707 Posts: 116
    Titanium is good, carbon fibre is good. I ride a titanium Airbourne Torch and love it.

One thing is for sure. Do not listen to a word from anyone who claims that you should expect a titanium bike to be 2-3 kg heavier than a carbon fibre bike. All components being equal, that would put the titanium frame weight at over 3kg which is clearly not the case.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    You're all pi55ing in the wind. Blokes gone and bought carbon.
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Lets forget about speed and weight for a sec and focus on style. My Van Nic Astraeus looks dogs b*ll*cks and when I hit the cafe stops haunted by weekend road warriors its gets plenty of attention and stands out from the carbon crowd. Runs silent too, sort of stealth like the way it soaks up road buzz.

I hope the op has bought a carbon bike and hope most others do as well as it keeps my bike in the minority, just the way I like it.

I have a alu bike, ti bike and super stiff carbon bike(Storck) and dont notice any difference on speeds over sportive distances but very different in terms of comfort.
    Brian B.