Elevated Heart Rate

Pross
Pross Posts: 40,589
Apologies as this is slightly off topic as it relates to a run not a ride but the principles will be the same.

I'm currently training for my first marathon and did my final long run today (5k Parkrun with my daughter and then 18 miles half an hour later). Everything was run at easy pace other than about 1 mile at steady pace about 8 miles into the longer run. Normally my HR at easy pace would be around 140 BPM but today my average on the longer run was up at 157 BPM and it hit 178 during the steady session which is close to what I get at 5k race pace. My face has also been hot all afternoon so I put it down to fighting something off and yet my resting HR is at its normal level in the low 40s. I didn't really feel like I was working harder than normal (although I did break at 15 miles into the long run which I think is simply down to a lack of mileage).

Is it likely that I'm just fighting off a cold or something? That's my assumption but the normal resting HR seems odd. The only other thought I had was over training but I've had a light week since my long run last Sunday.

Comments

• Unfortunately the reasons for both elevated and suppressed HR are so numerous that it's a pretty unhelpful diagnostic indicator on its own. It could even be measurement error.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Yeah really hard to say but there's no harm in resting up for a few days.

Is this milage normal for you in training?
  • Pross
    No, it's the peak of my marathon plan but the week as a whole has been light. I do feel a bit run down though, I'm just surprised my resting rate isn't higher too though. I don't think it was a rogue reading as it was high for the whole 3 hours.

I'll just rest for a few days, get plenty of water down my neck and feed up on fruit and veg - thanks both.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Couple of bad nights sleep maybe? That affects my HR.

I guess there's loads of possible reasons like Alex says.
  • Pross
    I sleep like a log, strange thing was it was at normal levels on the 5k. I'll just see how it's looking later this week after a bit of rest. The next 2 weeks until race day are going to be quite light anyway. I'm hoping the high HR was partly to blame for my legs going in the final 3-4 miles and that I'll be better on the day!!
  • trekvet
    trekvet Posts: 223
    Apart from Vit C and rest, immune system needs B vits, so 1/2 a Berocca tab (or ALDI own brand 89p) twice a day may be an idea.
    The Wife complained for months about the empty pot of bike oil on the hall stand; so I replaced it with a full one.
  • joe2008
    joe2008 Posts: 1,531
    TrekVet wrote:
    Apart from Vit C and rest, immune system needs B vits, so 1/2 a Berocca tab (or ALDI own brand 89p) twice a day may be an idea.

A better idea is to get vitamins from sources not containing Aspartame
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Pross wrote:
    I sleep like a log, strange thing was it was at normal levels on the 5k. I'll just see how it's looking later this week after a bit of rest. The next 2 weeks until race day are going to be quite light anyway. I'm hoping the high HR was partly to blame for my legs going in the final 3-4 miles and that I'll be better on the day!!

Could be something as simple as anxiety - 5k normal HR levels followed by elevated during an 18 mile run - may be down to not having done that distance recently or just general concern over doing that distance, combination of that with other things or could be unrelated ...
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    joe2008 wrote:
    TrekVet wrote:

A better idea is to get vitamins from sources not containing Aspartame

OT but the evidence against aspartame is extremely thin, at least in everyday quantities.

It is however an extremely specific recommendation to quite a nonspecific issue, which makes it a bit meaningless...