• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,073
    rjsterry wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:
    narbs wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:
    Dont get the hatred toward Osbourne, not saying much but he opposed having a referendum (so isnt as thick or as weak as Cameron) and is no where near in the same category as IDS or Boris.

What do people think MP's do ? of course he can hold down a full time job and be an MP, in the same way TM or Hammond can, an MP does absolutely nothing of value what-so-ever for his/her constituents, so unless they are on some committee or a minister, they r pointless.

Great contribution. Clown.

good counter argument, well put, i'll reflect on my views, are you an MP ?

So, have you ever tried to contact your MP to discuss something that you want addressing? If you haven't, maybe you should try at least once, if only to confirm your prejudices.

yes Scott Mann, n. cornwall - over his pro brexit views, i got back a generic letter, some weeks later i challenged his response... no reply, he is currently campaigning to stop hospital closures, which are closing in any case due to staff shortages and of his course his parties austerity.. he is a mouth piece for his gov.
    a while back labour mp ben bradshaw, then health sec, over why i couldnt, despite waiting 2 years to get an nhs dentist for my then 6yo (a legal entitlement remember) he referred me to the the dental helpline.... oh yeah i hadnt contacted them before had i!!
    MPs expenses and their voting on pay rises, shows full well their priorities.

The last vote on MPs pay was in July 2015. The rise coincided with a reduction in expenses allowances, so no net increase in remuneration. If you wanted to get rich, there are much better ways of doing it.

Having looked at Scott Mann's website, he's obviously very pro-Brexit. Like you I disagree with his views on that subject, but he could hardly be said not to be representing the views of the majority of his constituency. Some of Osborne's supporters were trying to equate editing the es with dashing off the occasional couple of thousand words as many MPs do. Perhaps that is all lebedev wants from him.

I don't know. Maybe he isn't a great MP, but as I say, my experience is very different. As for the vast majority having second jobs, the most recent figure I have found (2014) is 180 out of 650. On average constituency and parliamentary work takes up 70 hrs a week, so you need to be quite a workaholic to fit in something else on top.

https://www.parliament.uk/business/publ ... cond-jobs/

That leaves Osborne 100 hours a week to eat, sleep, travel and edit the Standard

So 6 hours a night of sleep leaves 58 hours. Take off another 14 hours for eating and ablutions gets us to 34. 8 hrs a week at Black Rock leaves 26 for the ES. One of the full time jobs is really part time.

I get the benefits of external experience to MPs and Parliament as a whole and parliamentary hours are still based around the idea that an MP might have other commitments, but generally the second job has taken a back seat.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    rjsterry wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:
    narbs wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:
    Dont get the hatred toward Osbourne, not saying much but he opposed having a referendum (so isnt as thick or as weak as Cameron) and is no where near in the same category as IDS or Boris.

What do people think MP's do ? of course he can hold down a full time job and be an MP, in the same way TM or Hammond can, an MP does absolutely nothing of value what-so-ever for his/her constituents, so unless they are on some committee or a minister, they r pointless.

Great contribution. Clown.

good counter argument, well put, i'll reflect on my views, are you an MP ?

So, have you ever tried to contact your MP to discuss something that you want addressing? If you haven't, maybe you should try at least once, if only to confirm your prejudices.

yes Scott Mann, n. cornwall - over his pro brexit views, i got back a generic letter, some weeks later i challenged his response... no reply, he is currently campaigning to stop hospital closures, which are closing in any case due to staff shortages and of his course his parties austerity.. he is a mouth piece for his gov.
    a while back labour mp ben bradshaw, then health sec, over why i couldnt, despite waiting 2 years to get an nhs dentist for my then 6yo (a legal entitlement remember) he referred me to the the dental helpline.... oh yeah i hadnt contacted them before had i!!
    MPs expenses and their voting on pay rises, shows full well their priorities.

The last vote on MPs pay was in July 2015. The rise coincided with a reduction in expenses allowances, so no net increase in remuneration. If you wanted to get rich, there are much better ways of doing it.

Having looked at Scott Mann's website, he's obviously very pro-Brexit. Like you I disagree with his views on that subject, but he could hardly be said not to be representing the views of the majority of his constituency. Some of Osborne's supporters were trying to equate editing the es with dashing off the occasional couple of thousand words as many MPs do. Perhaps that is all lebedev wants from him.

I don't know. Maybe he isn't a great MP, but as I say, my experience is very different. As for the vast majority having second jobs, the most recent figure I have found (2014) is 180 out of 650. On average constituency and parliamentary work takes up 70 hrs a week, so you need to be quite a workaholic to fit in something else on top.

https://www.parliament.uk/business/publ ... cond-jobs/

That leaves Osborne 100 hours a week to eat, sleep, travel and edit the Standard

So 6 hours a night of sleep leaves 58 hours. Take off another 14 hours for eating and ablutions gets us to 34. 8 hrs a week at Black Rock leaves 26 for the ES. One of the full time jobs is really part time.

I get the benefits of external experience to MPs and Parliament as a whole and parliamentary hours are still based around the idea that an MP might have other commitments, but generally the second job has taken a back seat.

Well a newspaper has deadlines so that can not be part time and we have only given him 8 hours a day to eat, sleep, ablute and travel (a long way from London to Tatton)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,594
    He's writing a couple books too isn't he?
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,754
    He's writing a couple books too isn't he?

And travelling to give speeches.

And he's chair of the Northern Powerhouse Partnership.

And a fellow at the McCain Institute (as of January). https://www.mccaininstitute.org/initiat ... ellowship/
    "Working closely with the Institute’s leadership, Kissinger Fellows will be responsible for assembling and leading 
a multidisciplinary working group focused on tackling a key foreign policy problem. "
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    mamba80 wrote:
    Dinyull wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:

Him having 2, 3 or 4 high earning jobs is a moot point to me because, as pointed out elsewhere he can fit them in if he's willing to work the hours.

The hatred I have for the man is that his decisions have really hit the poor/vulnerable hardest, whilst easing some things for the top earners. He preached austerity, saying we're all in it together whilst being able to click his fingers getting over £300k for a handful of speeches, £650k p/a from Blackrock, £75k p/a for MP. The NHS crisis he helped create will never cross his eyes as he'll have access to the best private care available.

He will never have 9 months where: 3 months his pay was late, 3 months his pay didn't arrive and 3 months being interrogated on the dole all thanks to his govt cuts.

Bedroom tax and universal income sanctions introduced, foodbank usage hitting new highs all under his watch. And before someone says "well it's all down to Labour for the crash" http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6975536.stm

No doubt someone will pick apart this and tell me I'm wrong, but I will always believe the man is despicable.

My point with GO is that he did not act alone, he had full support from May, IDS, Hunt and all the others - i detest all recent Tory Governments but none more than Cameron and his gov, that idiot has no doubt ensured that austerity and staff shortages will hit the NHS etc for years to come, costing lives and causing untold stress.

for all GO despicable behaviour, he didnt want an EU vote, so he has one redeeming feature.

His money grabbing antics is no worse than many former Gov ministers.

Yep - May, IDS, Hunt, Gove, Cameron et al are all a bunch of c*nts too. But to me Osborne was the "face" of austerity, and one I'd never tire of punching. People think he did a good job too ffs.

I lost my job (company liquidated) thanks to his decisions, wife is up against it as a nurse in the NHS thanks to his decisions and her Grandad died in hospital thanks to his decisions (overcame his illness in hospital and then had to wait 2 months for a social care worker to visit his home. They never did as he contracted a bug in hospital and never recovered).

I will never understand the level of support the current govt. have after the suffering me and my family have been through.