Caad 8 wheel change

2»

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    AK_jnr wrote:
    The profile of the wheel you sad old man....

Oh - sorry - my apologies in the misunderstanding.

So - how did you get so into men's groins?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    kingpinsam wrote:
    Apart from that, I'd hazard club member......

I'm intrigued to know more about your sour experience involving clincher tyres and a group of club cyclists :lol:

Arrr, as the local pirate said, that be a long story :) One to tell over ale and open fires :)

Nothing really against clinchers, but if you can get something that performs better in all areas for less money then I can't see why you shouldn't.....

Now, these clubbies. "Fast group" they said they were. Every Thursday night they met at Wrexham bus station they did ......

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Sorry, but tubs for noob is shit advice. Even pros use clinchers when not racing. As for 60mm rims...

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Matthewfalle
    So when does a noob not be a noob?

Or does it depend on the seasoned pro Cat 3 reliability trial ricin' club member to decide?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    I think what the scariest thing about this thread is either how scared people are of tubulars or how they hold them in such awe that they feel that people have to earn the right to use them........

God forbid people actually realise how simple they are...

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • A noob is no longer a noob when they no longer need to post questions in the beginners forum. You can stick 60mm carbon tubulars on your bike and you'll still be a total noob. You're the one who seems to think there's some sort of tier system with experience and kit.
    I think what the scariest thing about this thread is either how scared people are of tubulars or how they hold them in such awe that they feel that people have to earn the right to use them........

People don't run tubs because they're expensive, even £15 for a boat anchor like a Giro is a stupid amount to be spending each time you puncture. Some of us like decent grip/puncture resistance/rolling resistance and low weight, you don't get that for £15. If the sealant is anything like tubeless tyres, it just doesn't last at road pressures; I've tried tubeless but was frustrated by the need to remove and patch the tyre in order for it to maintain correct pressure again after some punctures.

And secondly they really should be glued on if you're going to being doing any fast descending or cornering. You think they're simple because you're cutting corners. Tape might be fine for your tri friends who ride around in straight lines on the flat. I don't want to be around when a newbie friend rolls a tyre that was underinflated and not properly attached after changing it by the side of the road.
  • Come on, tell us how many miles you've actually done on the 60mm tub giro tyre combo you're recommending?
  • Matthewfalle
    edited March 2017
    Thousands, racin', trainin' commutin', goin' to the shops, ridin' in the Abruzzo mountains, ridin' in France, the U.K. and elsewhere over the past 12 years.

FFS, it's a set of wheels and some tyres, not a flux capacitor.

Why are you all so scared of them should be the question.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    kingpinsam wrote:
    A noob is no longer a noob when they no longer need to post questions in the beginners forum. You can stick 60mm carbon tubulars on your bike and you'll still be a total noob. You're the one who seems to think there's some sort of tier system with experience and kit.

People don't run tubs because they're expensive, even £15 for a boat anchor like a Giro is a stupid amount to be spending each time you puncture. Some of us like decent grip/puncture resistance/rolling resistance and low weight, you don't get that for £15. If the sealant is anything like tubeless tyres, it just doesn't last at road pressures; I've tried tubeless but was frustrated by the need to remove and patch the tyre in order for it to maintain correct pressure again after some punctures.

And secondly they really should be glued on if you're going to being doing any fast descending or cornering. You think they're simple because you're cutting corners. Tape might be fine for your tri friends who ride around in straight lines on the flat. I don't want to be around when a newbie friend rolls a tyre that was underinflated and not properly attached after changing it by the side of the road.

Baloney they need to be glued on. Do you honestly think they would be allowed to sell tape if it wasn't safe?

Strange how mine have never fallen off. Or anyone I know. Or anyone they know. In fact, anyone at all. Oh.

£20 for a Conti Sprinter isn't expensive either. Same as a Pro Race 4.

And yes, unfortunately the sealant does hold road pressures. Sorry.

Good job on finding an Ironman course that is flat and in a straight line. Can you post it on your Zwift or Strava please.

From your post, it seems you've never tried tubs - I wouldn't comment on tubeless tyres as I've never used them ......

And why should a newbie have to not use cool stuff? And don't you think that term is a bit derogatory to the guy?

Next please.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.

£20 for a Conti Sprinter isn't expensive either.

And the game's up! so you don't ride the giro tyres. I call BS on everything you've said. Exaggerations all over the place.

As I previously said, I've raced tubs, "my" main issue with them is the price of a decent tub vs a decent clincher, but even then I wouldn't train through the winter on carbon wheels. I wouldn't recommend them to a random beginner.

You really should be a bit more open minded and accept that carbon tubs aren't the answer to everything, especially as you've only got a few thousand miles experience yourself
  • Matthewfalle
    I ride both. The Contis are on the TT bike. I also rode atuff S3s for a while but they fell apart so can't recommend them.

I posted the price of a Conti Sprinter after you complained about Giros being expensive and a boat anchor....... its all about comparatives, innit.

Ridden carbon tubs for 12 years actually. So thousands of mikes could be 10,000. I'd check on strata but I don't do it as I really don't care that much.

I'd recommend anything that needed a recommendation - I know in clubs you have to earn your right not to ride Aksiums but hey, this is the real world.

Just accept that some people do far cooler stuff than you and all will be well.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    In order to fulfill people's "he's a newbie" requirements:

Fella: get yourself some Aksiums and Conti Gp4000s. Or some Fulcrum 4s and some nice endurance type Tires.

Those will ignite your imagination and send you flying on the road to clubdom and matching clothes.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Oh - I also Use Vittoria Corsa SCs on my Spinergys but they (the tubs, not the wheels - they are utterly cool) are utterly utterly rubbish.

Best sling them and get some nice clinchers then.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Ridden carbon tubs for 12 years actually. So thousands of mikes could be 10,000. I'd check on strata but I don't do it as I really don't care that much.

Ok so we're taking less than a thousand miles a year on the carbon tubs, what do you use the rest of the time? or are you just a fare weather rider?

I think you need to accept that riding 60mm tubulars doesn't make you "cool", and if you base your kit decision on what's cool and what isn't, you're going to be making some pretty poor decisions.
  • Matthewfalle
    kingpinsam wrote:
    Ridden carbon tubs for 12 years actually. So thousands of mikes could be 10,000. I'd check on strata but I don't do it as I really don't care that much.

Ok so we're taking less than a thousand miles a year on the carbon tubs, what do you use the rest of the time? or are you just a fare weather rider?

I think you need to accept that riding 60mm tubulars doesn't make you "cool", and if you base your kit decision on what's cool and what isn't, you're going to be making some pretty poor decisions.

Ok: 127,659 miles. Or thereabouts.

No, sorry, all year round.

And no, you're wrong.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    If you're counting turbo mileage as well, waddya reckon - --an additional 23,541. Or thereabouts. I know you like to be exact about these things.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • That's some achievement to ride all year round but only manage 15 miles a week. I know If I was riding that little I'd choose to ride when the weather is nice :) it's ok to admit it, it explains your recommendation.

At least you look cool and badass when the club riders pootle past on their aksiums.
  • Feels like we've turned this thread around nicely now, initially it looked like you were trolling, but I can see you've lost it :)
  • cremator
    cremator Posts: 99
    Yes think we have still don't know what to buy or just leave the wheels I have on there :?: :?: :shock:
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    I have found it best on any thread that Mathew has commented on to do the exact opposite of what he suggests
  • cremator wrote:
    Yes think we have still don't know what to buy or just leave the wheels I have on there :?: :?: :shock:

If you're running less than 10 speed, I'd save the money and wait to buy a better bike, you'll just end up upgrading everything.

If you're running 10 or 11 speed, then Compag Zondas would be my "do anything" choice. ~1550g, very stiff, reliable.
  • kingpinsam wrote:
    cremator wrote:

If you're running less than 10 speed, I'd save the money and wait to buy a better bike, you'll just end up upgrading everything.

If you're running 10 or 11 speed, then Compag Zondas would be my "do anything" choice. ~1550g, very stiff, reliable.

This. The 2017 model has been redesigned to be a little wider - nothing wrong with the older version though, ran a set for years with no issues. If you need new tyres then I think the CAAD8 will take 25mm, should make your ride a bit comfier. The new zondas with a set of 25mm GP4000sII or similar would be an excellent option. If you buy a new bike later they would likely still be an upgrade over the stock wheels it came with. New wheels and tyres could be the best part of £400 though. That would get you a long way towards a new bike.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    In the UK? Take a look at Superstar for good value rim brake wheels, or the afore-mentioned Zondas. Me? I looked on the Commuting Chat site thread on bargains and found some DT Swiss 1600g wheels for £150 8)

BTW FYI Matthewfalle these were clinchers. Alloy rims. I'm saying no more. :lol:

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • saftlad
    saftlad Posts: 49
    My CAAD8 (2012 I think) has 28mm fitted with room to spare. No mudguards though