Caad 8 wheel change

cremator
cremator Posts: 99
edited April 2017 in Road beginners
Hi all I have a card 8 now for 2 years love the bike I am thinking about charging the stock wheels that came with the bike which are R.30 but not sure really what to change to I run 23 mm tyres again they came with the bike a.so any help would be great also would I have to change the rear cassette thank you

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Carbonzone 60mm carbon deep rims tubular - £150 odd. Utterly fantastic value for money.

Use them with Continental Giro tubular for all round brilliance/cost effectiveness.

You will probably be able to space out the rear cassette or use this as an excuse to upgrade to 10 speed shifters and rear mech.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Take a look at Superstar wheels. You can probably pick up some for around £200 that will take half a kilo off the Maddux monstrosities. I used to have a CAAD8, the wheels were shi'ite.

Search around for tyre deals, Conti GP4000 well respected and light.

Sites like Wiggle, Ribble, CRC, Evans...all have wheel deals, particularly for rim brakes. Look on the Commuting Chat site, there's a thread on there for bargains - I picked up some DT Swiss wheels RRP £450 for £150 thanks to a recommend on there!

DON'T get tubulars unless you're handy with a needle & thread, glue, patience, etc and/or like paying someone to fix flats. Clinchers are fine, lots less hassle.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Matthewfalle
    SecretSam wrote:
    Take a look at Superstar wheels. You can probably pick up some for around £200 that will take half a kilo off the Maddux monstrosities. I used to have a CAAD8, the wheels were shi'ite.

Search around for tyre deals, Conti GP4000 well respected and light.

Sites like Wiggle, Ribble, CRC, Evans...all have wheel deals, particularly for rim brakes. Look on the Commuting Chat site, there's a thread on there for bargains - I picked up some DT Swiss wheels RRP £450 for £150 thanks to a recommend on there!

DON'T get tubulars unless you're handy with a needle & thread, glue, patience, etc and/or like paying someone to fix flats. Clinchers are fine, lots less hassle.

Nah - ignore the above DON'T message: no need for any of that.

Giros are £15 each, much less than what a GP4000 costs. Fit with tape - no glue and takes 3 minutes. Carry a tin of foam with you - lighter and smaller and easier to do than a spare inner tube.when broken, throw away - no need for paying for someone to fix a flat, thread etc.

Tubulars are far less hassle but those who have never used them like to say otherwise because it's what they have heard.

If you want lighter, nicer rolling, better feel, etc then go tubs. Otherwise clincher.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    So someone asks for advice on replacing the stock wheels and you recommend 60mm tubs.... Not only that, but taped as well. Amazing.
  • Matthewfalle
    AK_jnr wrote:
    So someone asks for advice on replacing the stock wheels and you recommend 60mm tubs.... Not only that, but taped as well. Amazing.

Thank you - I thought it was good advice but not amazing.

He wants better wheels for a bike he likes which is also a race bike so why not get something that looks cool, works really well, is very well priced and is far, far better than an Aksium or similar he'll get for £150.

I race, train, commute, ride in the Abruzzo mountains and go to the shops on my pairs in all weathers and when I do eventually smash them up/wear them out I'll just buy another pair as there are only £150.

And re the taping? Millions fail to see an issue with that. Perhaps you'd like to explain.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    I also have tubs on the commute/general training bike with 38mm Charbons... excellent wheels for the price (even with duty slapped on) just get used to re lacing the spokes.. FooAvinaLaff used up his quota of cheese noodlenipples on my wheels instead of eating them.
  • Matthewfalle
    JGSI wrote:
    I also have tubs on the commute/general training bike with 38mm Charbons... excellent wheels for the price (even with duty slapped on) just get used to re lacing the spokes.. FooAvinaLaff used up his quota of cheese noodlenipples on my wheels instead of eating them.

This as well - not quite as amazing as my advice but darn good :)

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Oh - I also have tubs on the s/s bike (this time on Spinergys). Bizarrely enough they are also taped on and I've never had any issues.

On a quirkier note, I learnt about tape from a world tri level friend of mine. Neither he or any of his team mates have ever had any issues with tape. How strange. Amazing, some may say....

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    Carbonzone 60mm carbon deep rims tubular - £150 odd. Utterly fantastic value for money.

Use them with Continental Giro tubular for all round brilliance/cost effectiveness.

You will probably be able to space out the rear cassette or use this as an excuse to upgrade to 10 speed shifters and rear mech.

Marvellous Advice - a million likes - if the facility was available on BR. One small point - I assume you mean upgrading to 11 speed. In which case what do you recommend with regards to shifters/rear mech - Super Record or Dura Ace?
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Well I am a CAAD fan... but dont go too overboard on a 8, fine bike that it is ..
    You could do some judicious Ebaying for a 2nd hand Caad10 frame.
    Its taken me nearly 2 years of getting a good deal on a set of 7900 shifters.
  • Matthewfalle
    letap73 wrote:

Marvellous Advice - a million likes - if the facility was available on BR. One small point - I assume you mean upgrading to 11 speed. In which case what do you recommend with regards to shifters/rear mech - Super Record or Dura Ace?

No. I suggest that he buys the 9/10speed ones and slings an extra spacer on if the Carbonzone dude hasn't got an 8 speed freewheel. Its a bicycle, not a space shuttle.

If he wants to go 11 speed then fair play.

Thank you for the million likes though - much appreciated.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    cremator wrote:
    Hi all I have a card 8 now for 2 years love the bike I am thinking about charging the stock wheels that came with the bike which are R.30 but not sure really what to change to I run 23 mm tyres again they came with the bike a.so any help would be great also would I have to change the rear cassette thank you

The cassette can be moved from your stock wheelset to whatever new wheelset you want. I am assuming you have a 9/10 speed cassette on your wheels at the moment. What do you want to get out of your wheelset + what is your budget?
  • Matthewfalle
    JGSI wrote:
    Well I am a CAAD fan... but dont go too overboard on a 8, fine bike that it is ..
    You could do some judicious Ebaying for a 2nd hand Caad10 frame.
    Its taken me nearly 2 years of getting a good deal on a set of 7900 shifters.

But it's the old adage of he loves the bike, so if he doesn't want to change it why not fit some cool bits to it?

And we're talking a £150 wheel set here, so well budget but hitting far above their weight, not a set of Obermayers. Can you even get Aksiums for £150 nowadays?

Swap the cassette across, stick a spacer on to bridge the gap, readjust the stops on the rear mech. Jobs a fish.

If he feels like splashing out, chuck some 10 speed Tiagra shifters on and readjust the rear mech. Again, jobs a fish at very very minimal outlay.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • drwae
    drwae Posts: 223
    Where can I get these £150 carbon wheels? cheapest I saw for carbon zone on ebay was about £180 with a ridiculous £60 shipping charge
  • Matthewfalle
    drwae wrote:
    Where can I get these £150 carbon wheels? cheapest I saw for carbon zone on ebay was about £180 with a ridiculous £60 shipping charge

Wait two weeks and they'll be in his mega sale with free postage. These mega sales happen every few weeks. They are actually pretty mega, much like me.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Probably one of the most bonkers threads I have read for some time. A beginner asks for some replacement wheels and gets recommended 60mm tubs!

OP, you will need to have a little think about your current riding, e.g., mainly flat? a few hills? Any thoughts on what you would like? Then set a budget and pop over to Road Buying Advice and search for wheels. They do not have to be a specific match for your CAAD. Also be honest about your weight as that can make a difference on what you should buy (no pointy going for 20 spoke bling sets if you weight 100kg).

You might also have a think about the handling of the bike and clearance. Slightly wider tyres (say 25mm) run on wider rims (like the Quattro LG) will improve handling and offer more comfort but CAAD owners can advise what fits and what doesn't. Hence, the bike you have plays a part in your choice...but does not dictate one or the other.

Ref the cassette, shouldn't need to change that unless you are unhappy with the ratio it offers but you may want to check your chain for wear.

Hope that helps.
  • Matthewfalle
    Yeah - I agree. Why should a beginner not progress from being a beginner. Let's have a thread showing what kudos clubbies reckon people need before they are no longer beginners and can buy cool stuff.

He loves his bike, wants to make it cooler then why not buy cool stuff?

I can't understand why people's problems are with tubs - I've had less hassle with them than clinchers over the years.

<adopt squeaky clubbies voice > beginner must earn right to have cool kit ........

And before someone says "it's only a CAAD 8 - it's his CAAD that he loves and Carbons are so much cooler and better than some Aksiums or whatever you'll get form£150 nowadays.

How bizarre......

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • As long as you look cool, who cares if you get stranded in the middle of nowhere when you get a cut in the sidewall :roll:

Aluminium wheels are a better choice if you're commuting or riding in the wet.

Campag Zondas were my choice after wearing out a few sets of cheap Shimano rims.
  • Matthewfalle
    Why are you going to get stranded? Spare tub pre-taped rolled up in back pocket. Same size to carry as a tube, easier to put on.

Job jobbed.

I no understand, however I presume you've never used a tub?

No difference at all for commuting or riding in the wet if you use decent pads (e.g. swissstop, Kolowa Stop, etc).

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Why are you going to get stranded? Spare tub pre-taped rolled up in back pocket. Same size to carry as a tube, easier to put on.

Job jobbed.

I no understand, however I presume you've never used a tub?

No difference at all for commuting or riding in the wet if you use decent pads (e.g. swissstop, Kolowa Stop, etc).

Lol there is no way a Continental Giro is even close to the same size folded up as a spare inner tube, add that to your can of sealant as well, plus your £30 brake pads and this suddenly isn't looking like such a bargain.

I have ridden tubs, I was lucky enough to never puncture, but they were race wheels, I never trained or commuted on them as I don't have a problems with clinchers like you seem to.

I presume you just don't ride many miles? or commute into a city on them. No one I know trains or commutes through the winter on carbon wheels, cheap ebay ones like the ones you're recommending will not stand up to salty wet roads, the brake tracks delaminate very quickly, and they don't stop as well in the wet as aluminium wheels, there's no discussion to be had about that.
  • AK_jnr
    The wheels you mentioned are also old school and narrow which makes it even worse considering they are 60mm!!!
  • Matthewfalle
    AK_jnr wrote:
    The wheels you mentioned are also old school and narrow which makes it even worse considering they are 60mm!!!

Old school and narrow? Just what are you on about? It's a freakingly good value wheel set.

And trust me, you, me and the dog next door can't tell the difference between "old school narrow" and "new school wide".

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • AK_jnr
    Haha you have no idea. Look at the profile for a start.
  • The wheels you mention don't seem to exist either, just had a look on ebay, the cheapest 60mm tubulars that have sold since December where £244 including postage. Add on another ~£50 customs charges, and a month for delivery. (Not sure why I'm wasting my time, but in the face of such terrible advice it's hard not to bite)

To the OP, I missed the fact you may only be running 7 or 8 speed; you're really handicapped on what new wheels you can buy that will be compatible, I'd recommending upgrading the groupset, but then it may well be worth just waiting and getting a better bike (although that will undoubtedly come with average wheels at best, so the cycle continues!)

Don't skimp on tyres, it's a false economy, GP4000s's are tried and tested and well recommended, I don't know anyone who runs Giro tubulars, but you can be assured the puncture resistance and grip isn't anywhere near as good just by their positioning in the Continental tyre range. Plus who wants half a kilo of spare tyre and tube sealant in their back pockets?

If you're running 9/10/11 speed then Campag Zondas are a great choice, just look at the reviews, I'll be going back to those once my current Ultegras wear out.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    To be fair, the OP really hasn't said anything at all apart from the fact he loves his bike. In the face of such paucity of information, we seem to have gone off on a long debate about the relative merits of 60mm tubs whilst the OP has probably gone down to Evans and bought some Aksiums :-)
  • Matthewfalle
    AK_jnr wrote:

Well, you seem to be posting a lot about a groin area, so perhaps you may be an expert in things at that level. Apart from that, I'd hazard club member......

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • AK_jnr
    AK_jnr wrote:

Well, you seem to be posting a lot about a groin area, so perhaps you may be an expert in things at that level. Apart from that, I'd hazard club member......

HAHA. Brilliant. Resorting to going through my posts. I could do that with you, but I'm not that sad mate. :lol::lol:
  • Matthewfalle
    Well, not really. You said click the profile. So I did, expecting to find something like pro racer but all it said was an avid commentator on men's GT oins. Took one click, 6 seconds. Not exactly tracking down Lord Lucan or dismantling the KGB.

So, groin admiring clubbie. Great.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • AK_jnr
    The profile of the wheel you sad old man....
  • Apart from that, I'd hazard club member......

I'm intrigued to know more about your sour experience involving clincher tyres and a group of club cyclists :lol: