Doris

Comments

• y33stu
    y33stu Posts: 376
    I'll be out regardless of weather. Had 45mph winds on way in this morning, tomorrow looks very wet but less wind, but annoyingly it's set to switch at lunchtime meaning I'll be riding into the wind and rain on both work and home legs. :evil: I've been getting a nice tailwind in all week too.
    Cycling prints
    Band of Climbers
  • benws1
    benws1 Posts: 415
    I'm in Lincolnshire. Not out on the bike tomorrow as it's one of my days off. Turbo session tonight then nothing until either Friday night or Saturday morning.

The wind is forecast to be 43-63mph for me between 12:00 to 15:00. I'm just hoping my house roof survives, let alone think about riding anywhere (which I can't as I'm at work at that time).
  • Looks like if I'm going to get ~75mins cycling in tomorrow, I need to be out at ~0600, from 0700 to 1700 it's expected to be 40-50mph here according to BBC.

The dilemma is...
    Skinny wheels with fitted 38c Marathon Cross
    Skinny wheels with 2.3 Speedsters
    Skinny wheels with my still unused 38c 45NRTH Gravdals
    Fat wheels with Jumbo Jims

I might do the latter for the hell of it, the fat setup will give me an idea of what speed demon disc wheels must feel like in windy conditions. :twisted:
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • rower63
    rower63 Posts: 1,991
    itboffin wrote:
    i'm looking out of my kitchen window right now and the fine mist is sort of drifting in waves...
    sounds like you need a new boiler
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
    Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
    Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
    Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
    Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
    http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    I would love to avoid the weather and wind tomorrow. But can't.
    Which Is fun when crossing a very exposed road.... not.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    right off to the turbo dungeon i go :(
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    fat daddy wrote:
    how do you guys get tail winds ..... I seem to get headwind going to work, then a head wind coming back home ... it is out to get me I swear !
    I'd understood perception of constant headwinds to be a result of keeping up 30+mph speeds...

Stay safe tomorrow, all!
  • itboffin wrote:

Lucky you, I only have an elliptical dungeon.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,099
    WFH. Ride to station only 1.7 miles, but suicidal in high winds: pan-flat for miles and busy road. Nearly been blown into a car before.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,099
    itboffin wrote:

Lucky you, I only have an elliptical dungeon.

I have a leather-lined dungeon with lots of lovely chains and whips and...Sorry, went a bit OT :oops:

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • itboffin
    Was proper boring, Chain whip i have one of those ;-)
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    i just swapped over to the schwalbe aqua tyres (wheelset) so Doris will stop now and a heatway will replace it.

It had better not because my ribble sportive is a real PITA to swap wheels, i pretty much have to remove the QR and all the air from the tyre.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Anyone planning on NOT riding tomorrow because of the forecasted high winds?

well I had been planning to cycle into work tomorrow. and Doris is a conveniant excuse not to, if that counts :D
  • Kudos to anyone that's braving it in Bristol. The wind and rain that's hitting the kitchen window right now is rather nasty
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    Helmetberg wrote:
    Kudos to anyone that's braving it in Bristol. The wind and rain that's hitting the kitchen window right now is rather nasty

Its fun in Bristol for sure !!! ...... top of Gloucester road @ filton - horfield is epic wind, its full on drop a shoulder and turn the wheel just to keep in a straight line

As you get in to the city , the wind is howling through the streets in every direction, its guess work which way you are going to be hit by it, bike was all over the place and at times could get above 14mph on the flat, it just stopped you.

cars are being good though .... giving a lot more room than normal
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    It is howling a gale here in Stratford upon Avon, I left the bike at home and came in the car - I commute across open fields and it would of just been treacherous and i dont think that the bike could take the abuse.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • benws1
    Really windy already in Lincolnshire. Not looking forward to this today.

At least we don't have a bloody trampoline:

http://news.sky.com/story/live-travel-w ... s-10778262
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Meanwhile in Scotland...
    8781_cam1.jpg
    That's a bit further uphill, of course. Down here there's just an inch of slush on the roads and heavy wet snow being driven by north-easterly (i.e. full on headwind for my morning commute) winds - not so strong here though, merely gusting force 7.

So a nice bracing commute, soaked to the skin for most of the way, took a while to wring out the wet gear - hope it's dry by this afternoon.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,699
    Met Office wrote:
    Explosive Cyclogenisis
    :shock:

Apparently it's getting worse up North.

In London, lovely blue sky at the moment, but reports of overhead wires down at Herne Hill and bits of tree everywhere.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Wirral is getting it pretty bad, we are right in the path of the strongest winds and we're already pretty exposed to Atlantic storms anyway. Gusting at 75mph here.

I hate high winds :(
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,699
    rjsterry wrote:
    Met Office wrote:
    Explosive Cyclogenisis
    :shock:

Apparently it's getting worse up North.

In London, lovely blue sky at the moment, but reports of overhead wires down at Herne Hill and bits of tree everywhere.
    Edit: Thameslink now suspended due to wires down north of KX.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    It's been grim since about half-seven up here in the Republic of Mancunia. Didn't ride as 1) I have a cold and 2) I'd rather not be dead.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • Based on the forecast as of last night I took the decision not to ride in. When I got up this morning it wasn’t as bad as predicted (looks like the timing has slipped back about 3 hours) but once I’ve decided the night before I don’t change my mind due to timing etc. This morning I resembled a laden donkey coming in to work, I have enough food, toiletries, and clothes in the office to last a good couple of weeks. Always a positive.

Going home would have been interesting though, last night was great but with 56mph gusts at 3pm today (when I leave) I reckon some KOM’s may have been in the bag if I managed to stay upright!
  • Blowing a gale here in Southampton, but we now have mostly blue sky, the horizontal rain from earlier has passed.

Feeling like death warmed up, partly due to the wind waking me up at 0530ish, seriously contemplating the idea of doing multiple ~0.6 mile laps around the block to try and wake up. Not convinced I will manage 20-odd like last Wednesday, the day after my front wheel washout, but riding at a gentle-steady pace might blow the thick cobwebs away!
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • benws1
    dodgy wrote:
    Wirral is getting it pretty bad, we are right in the path of the strongest winds and we're already pretty exposed to Atlantic storms anyway. Gusting at 75mph here.

I hate high winds :(

Due to hit us the most in Lincolnshire around 1 to 2pm where we are expecting 70mph gusts. Not looking forward to it at all. Don't really notice it at work as I'm in a large factory complex. Will notice it when I go home for lunch though.

Hate high winds too due to the potential damage they cause. Not really bothered about things like snow and ice. Winds do it for me.

This website is quite interesting for wind activity:

https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/w ... 53.71,1991
  • itboffin
    wow its just step up a few notches here - mental
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    Managed to get my timing "perfect" this morning - walked out to the get the bike out in torrential rain. By the time I'd put the bag on the bike, unlocked, fitted freshly charged gadgets, checked the tyres etc ( about 2-3 minutes) I walked out to brilliant blue sky.
    Still windy mind, but specifically hid in the valleys this morning - an extra couple of miles, but meh.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • Barely a breeze here now. Might go out on the bike later :D
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • benws1 wrote:

This website is quite interesting for wind activity:

https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/w ... 53.71,1991

That is one cool website. Mesmerising!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Blustery on the way in not as bad as expected, really picked up here and the steel framing of the building round the windows is moving 5mm ish in the gusts.....my cross country route is forecast 20+mph winds with 45+mph gusts on the way home....it should also be a tailwind!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.