Does anyone actually buy this stuff?

13»

Comments

• Chris Bass wrote:
    I think he was suggesting it looks a bit sh*t even for £2.88, I kind of agree!

I was :D
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • drwae wrote:
    drwae wrote:
    Delivery today from China!
    I already feel faster and I haven't even ridden it yet :)

Total cost £2.88 no way would I pay £40 for this sh*t

I wouldn't pay £2.88 for that sh*t. Each to their own though.
    But I guess you'd pay £40 for the same thing that has been imported branded and distributed by a uk company?

I refer you to the reply above. :D
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    drwae wrote:
    I'm waiting for 2 carbon bottle cages to come that I ordered on eBay from China for a total cost of £2.88 ...

Those arn't carbon. They are plastic with 'carbon' effect paint. :|
  • drwae
    drwae Posts: 223
    trailflow wrote:
    drwae wrote:
    I'm waiting for 2 carbon bottle cages to come that I ordered on eBay from China for a total cost of £2.88 ...

Oh well. I'm still quite pleased for less than 3 quid. The ones I really wanted were the elite race stealth cages but they were out of stock on wiggle at the time (and still are) - but they would've been £14.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Received cages. They're going back - bit meh really. If I'd gave paid £65 I'd be both massively underwhelmed and gutted.

As an aside: this month's Cyclist magazine: page 54: Cycle Star Nanotechnology Lube - £20 for 15ml. Made, allegedly, from laser produced nano particles (their copy, not mine).

Seriously? Does anyone really buy this stuff?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    Received cages. They're going back - bit meh really. If I'd gave paid £65 I'd be both massively underwhelmed and gutted.

As an aside: this month's Cyclist magazine: page 54: Cycle Star Nanotechnology Lube - £20 for 15ml. Made, allegedly, from laser produced nano particles (their copy, not mine).

Seriously? Does anyone really buy this stuff?

i think that is a bit different, it is meant to last longer and you apply less, so it isn't comparing like with like.

whether it does what it claims is another matter!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • Matthewfalle
    But surely it'll come off when you clean once a week so you don't stuff up your whole drivetrain?

Or am I missing something?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • chris_bass
    But surely it'll come off when you clean once a week so you don't stuff up your whole drivetrain?

Or am I missing something?

If it works as it should you won't have to wash it once a week!
  • Matthewfalle
    So it will keep mud and cack and water and sand and stuff 'n' tings off my chain? Seriously?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • So it will keep mud and cack and water and sand and stuff 'n' tings off my chain? Seriously?

The nanobots will eat them
    GET WHEEZY - WALNUT LUNG RACING TEAM™
  • IMHO it makes no sense. If you have the money for a bottle cage that expensive, and need two of them, then you could afford a bike that is ALREADY lighter than the UCI limit.

If you bought a heavier bike and are spending that much in a shot all over the place to make it lighter, you made the wrong choice to being with on the frame.
  • Matthewfalle
    IMHO it makes no sense. If you have the money for a bottle cage that expensive, and need two of them, then you could afford a bike that is ALREADY lighter than the UCI limit.

If you bought a heavier bike and are spending that much in a shot all over the place to make it lighter, you made the wrong choice to being with on the frame.

What if you don't actually care about the weiight (in my case they were going on the s/s commuter/trainer and only wanted them to match the rest of the carbon on there, were massively discounted and that they looked nice (well, in the picture, in the flesh a different matter).

I've actually got some plain black glossy Clarke's carbon ones on the best bike (6.4kg of top of the range Ali, carbon and Red) and bought them not to save weight but because they matched everything else and look dope.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • chris_bass
    6.4kg for a bottle cage is quite heavy
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,329
    Chris Bass wrote:
    i think that is a bit different, it is meant to last longer and you apply less, so it isn't comparing like with like.
    Are you comparing Fairy liquid to another leading brand?
  • Matthewfalle
    Chris Bass wrote:
    6.4kg for a bottle cage is quite heavy

Is it a 10 speed or 11 speed bottle cage?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Thigh_burn
    Thigh_burn Posts: 489
    I think everyone on here just needs to chill and whilst doing so consider that there's an £75 stainless steel cage available.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    trailflow wrote:
    drwae wrote:

I once bought some cheap, Chinese carbon cages. They were sh1t. Carbon was really thick so they weren't light, soft lacquer so they scratched the bottles to hell and heel was sufficiently weak to crack on one of them.

On the other hand, the £40 each Look cages that I initially mocked when I bought my Look bike turned out to be rather excellent. The Elite cages I'd originally chosen just looked rubbish so I had the Look ones put on after all. They are light, grip the bottle well, don't scratch the bottles much and look a bit like hooker shoes. They are silly expensive though.

Stainless steel wire cages are probably the intelligent choice. I use them on my Ribble and they are very good and not expensive.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Thigh_burn wrote:
    I think everyone on here just needs to chill and whilst doing so consider that there's an £75 stainless steel cage available.

I clicked on the link expecting an object of some beauty, but that is just so ordinary. What on earth is the selling point?
  • Matthewfalle
    mrfpb wrote:
    Thigh_burn wrote:

I clicked on the link expecting an object of some beauty, but that is just so ordinary. What on earth is the selling point?

Look where its being sold - I've never encountered them before but I am sense a huge amount of beards, plaid shirts, turned up jeans and hipsterdom just from a brief glance.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    I was actually going to hazard a guess at the place being in Shoreditch or Hoxton but it's actually in Brighton.

Say no more.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    IMHO it makes no sense. If you have the money for a bottle cage that expensive, and need two of them, then you could afford a bike that is ALREADY lighter than the UCI limit.

Massive problem for all of us that ride in UCI races...i.e no one here.
  • Matthewfalle
    DavidJB wrote:

Pokerface does but I'm not sure what bottle cages he has.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,400
    I was actually going to hazard a guess at the place being in Shoreditch or Hoxton but it's actually in Brighton.

Say no more.
    Shoreditch-by-Sea! People like to charge London prices for stuff down here without realising that not everyone receives London money
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    mrfpb wrote:
    Thigh_burn wrote:

Look where its being sold - I've never encountered them before but I am sense a huge amount of beards, plaid shirts, turned up jeans and hipsterdom just from a brief glance.

Hipsters remind me of Dolly Parton's line: "It costs a lot of money to look this cheap"
  • DavidJB wrote:

This is a good topic for another discussion.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    DavidJB wrote:

Pokerface does but I'm not sure what bottle cages he has.

I use Elite cages. Mostly because they work, look good and are cheap.

I have one bike that is either below or bang on the UCI limit, depending on wheel choice, and another bike that is slightly heavier. And a TT bike that weighs a tonne in comparison). My heavier bike is an aero bike and chosen for flatter races, the other is a 'climbing bike that I can race or just just for hilly training.

I'm always conscious of bike weight and trying to get them lighter whenever possible, but these days, performance and fit is more important to me.

P.S. They never weigh road bikes. Oddly, they only weigh TT bikes. Still - I aim to keep my road bike within the rules.
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    I paid about 50 quid for my Carbon Bidon cages. I like them.
  • drwae
    drwae Posts: 223
    250km update
    My Chinese bottle cages haven't broken and fallen into the bottom bracket and killed me as someone suggested, but the knocking noise the bottle makes in the cage whenever I go over a slightly uneven patch of road is incredibly irritating
  • Matthewfalle
    drwae wrote:
    250km update
    My Chinese bottle cages haven't broken and fallen into the bottom bracket and killed me as someone suggested, but the knocking noise the bottle makes in the cage whenever I go over a slightly uneven patch of road is incredibly irritating

Pop a tad of insulating tape on the cage or one of those little sticky pads you put on the feet of furniture to stop it scratching your floor. Sticks forever, soft so won't scratch the bottle but will pad against the bottle to stop rattling.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.