Does anyone actually buy this stuff?

Comments

• drwae
    drwae Posts: 223
    FatTed wrote:
    drwae wrote:
    I'm waiting for 2 carbon bottle cages to come that I ordered on eBay from China for a total cost of £2.88 ...

First ride hit a small bump and the bottles all over the road, lucky no one was hurt.
    We shall see. I've been waiting 3 weeks already!! :shock:
  • At 29 grams they are not even light. My budget PlanetX ones only weigh 22 grams which is much faster.
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Shortfall wrote:
    I expect they probably do, and if they can afford it why not? More fool them if they think it's going to translate into them going any faster though.

Er, no.
    I had not even considered my carbon bottle cages make me go any faster.

They are easily the nicest bottle cages I have used though, and after having carbon ones would not go back to plastic.
    Plastic just seem overly thick and sluggish now.

They may not make you ride any faster, but they do make bottle extraction/insertion faster and nicer.
    They also look and feel (in a not even touching them type way) much better.

Anyone that can afford a carbon bike, can afford carbon bottle cages.
    Its not about money, its about choice :wink:

Its not about the weight either :wink::wink:
  • stevewj
    stevewj Posts: 227
    I reckon that with the width of the cage material, the loss due to extra air resistance over a thin light metal one would outweigh the effect of weight saving.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    Carbonator wrote:
    Shortfall wrote:
    I expect they probably do, and if they can afford it why not? More fool them if they think it's going to translate into them going any faster though.

Er, no.

They are easily the nicest bottle cages I have used though, and after having carbon ones would not go back to plastic.

They may not make you ride any faster, but they do make bottle extraction/insertion faster and nicer.

Yes I'm all for choice mate and if the carbon cages work for you in the way you describe then knock yourself out. I'll keep struggling on with extraction/insertion woes presented by pesky plastic :D
  • Anonymous
    Shortfall wrote:
    Carbonator wrote:
    Shortfall wrote:

Er, no.

Yes I'm all for choice mate and if the carbon cages work for you in the way you describe then knock yourself out. I'll keep struggling on with extraction/insertion woes presented by pesky plastic :D

Haters just keep hating lol

I did not mention 'struggling' or 'woes'.
    You added them in to make yourself feel better about not spending a few quid on something better :wink:

Haters always exaggerate what people have said about things, then add in a bit of sarcasm for good measure.

Fact is that the carbon ones I now have work far better than plastic ones I have tried.
    They all 'work' though.
  • shortfall
    @Carbonater I didnt say you'd mentioned struggles or woes, have another read. I did ladle on the sarcasm a bit admittedly but I've got carbon bling on my own bike that doesn't really serve any purpose so I'm as guilty as anyone.
  • Sluggish bottle cages, we've reached peak Fredage...
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    At 29 grams they are not even light. My budget PlanetX ones only weigh 22 grams which is much faster.

Ah! That explains it. My five quid Specialized Rib cages weigh a stonking 33g, surely there can be no underestimating the debilitating effect of those weighty beggars...and let's not forget I have two of the damn things to hold me back :(

Still, at least I managed to get them back from the bike shop in the Lamborghini...only just mind.
  • Anonymous
    edited February 2017
    Shortfall wrote:
    @Carbonater I didnt say you'd mentioned struggles or woes, have another read. I did ladle on the sarcasm a bit admittedly but I've got carbon bling on my own bike that doesn't really serve any purpose so I'm as guilty as anyone.

I had another read, and unless you mean that you find non carbon bottle cages a woeful struggle (guessing you don't), then as you were quoting my post, can only see you were putting those words into my mouth.

I am also guilty of not paying full price I feel I should add.

If you have carbonblingitus then you should try the Bontrager RXXXL bottle cage :wink:
  • Anonymous
    Sluggish bottle cages, we've reached peak Fredage...

The carbon ones I have are far slicker, more precise, faster and more enjoyable to use than plastic ones I have tried, so by comparison I think sluggish is a fair description.

Unless you think all bottle cages are the same then you have to accept that some are better than others.

I don't think that carbon is the only factor (Bontrager are a very different design), but being much thiner and more flexible seems better IMO/IME.

People knock better stuff all the time on here. Most often when it costs more.
  • shortfall
    Carbonator wrote:
    Shortfall wrote:

I had another read, and unless you mean that you find non carbon bottle cages a woeful struggle (guessing you don't), then as you were quoting my post, can only see you were putting those words into my mouth.

I am also guilty of not paying full price I feel I should add.

If you have carbonblingitus then you should try the Bontrager RXXXL bottle cage :wink:

I quoted your post so you knew I was referring to you with my reply. The references to struggles and woes was my own words used in sarcasm because I have never suffered from sluggish bottle holders be them metal or plastic. I wouldn't pay full wack for a carbon bottle cage because I think they're overpriced for no significant weight savings. I have no problem with you or anyone else spending what you like on them though. I spent a ton of cash getting a Record groupset when I had a perfectly good Athena set up that in all honesty does the job just as well. I'd always wanted Record though and I'm glad I've got it for all kinds of stupid reasons that I can justify to myself but have a hard time convincing anybody else, particularly the missus!
  • Anonymous
    edited February 2017
    I have not tried Campag yet but if its anything like Shimano I don't get whats so hard to justify.

I got my wife into road bikes and things are a lot more easily justified to her now :)
  • shortfall
    Carbonator wrote:
    I have not tried Campag yet but if its anything like Shimano I don't get whats so hard to justify.

I got my wife into road bikes and things are now a lot more easily justified to her now :)

Now that IS the way to go! :D
  • Serious topic got serious...
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Carbonator wrote:

I've got two of those on my winter bike. Seriously. Not sure what was wrong with me when I was putting it together. Did put a 105 chain on though to keep the price down....
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    "If you have carbonblingitus then you should try the Bontrager RXXXL bottle cage"
    On one bike I have the RXXXL cages and the other bike just has the RXL Cage - I am faster on the bike with the RXXXL cage so that's definitive scientific proof that the more you spend on the bottle cage the faster you go.

Obviously that was all tongue in cheek - but I do have the RXXLs and don't think they are overly blingy. They are on a Trek Emonda SLR, very light bike, so spending £40 on a lightweight bottle cage seemed pretty logical to me.
    The winter bike is a Trek Domane, pretty heavy in comparison so I just have the RXL cage. Quite an expensive cage still but it was handed down from a previous "good weather" bike.

And as a post script - I'm lucky enough not to pay full price as I would probably have looked at other light weight options.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    At 29 grams they are not even light. My budget PlanetX ones only weigh 22 grams which is much faster.

Ah! That explains it. My five quid Specialized Rib cages weigh a stonking 33g, surely there can be no underestimating the debilitating effect of those weighty beggars...and let's not forget I have two of the damn things to hold me back :(

Still, at least I managed to get them back from the bike shop in the Lamborghini...only just mind.

Maybe you also live in a heavy water area. You may need to consider importing water for your bottles to improve your times. Doing this got me from 2275th to 2197th on my favourite Strava segment.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    mrfpb wrote:
    Bobbinogs wrote:

Maybe you also live in a heavy water area. You may need to consider importing water for your bottles to improve your times. Doing this got me from 2275th to 2197th on my favourite Strava segment.

would carbonated water help?
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    edited February 2017
    CO2 (atomic weight 44) is heavier than H20 (a.w. 18), so no, it would make your water much heavier.

Not as much as Calcuium Carbonate in hard water - CaCO3 (a.w. 100). Shockingly heavy, even though I don't know if that's ounces or pounds. But imagine how heavy it would be if you put chalk or marble in your bottles! It would also probably be hard to drink and not taste nice.

I hope I haven't "blinded you with the science"
  • For me it's more about losing 10kg off my waistline rather than 10g off my bottle cages
    GET WHEEZY - WALNUT LUNG RACING TEAM™
  • Carbonator wrote:
    Sluggish bottle cages, we've reached peak Fredage...

The carbon ones I have are far slicker, more precise, faster and more enjoyable to use than plastic ones I have tried, so by comparison I think sluggish is a fair description.

Unless you think all bottle cages are the same then you have to accept that some are better than others.

I don't think that carbon is the only factor (Bontrager are a very different design), but being much thiner and more flexible seems better IMO/IME.

People knock better stuff all the time on here. Most often when it costs more.

You are still talking about bottle cages aren't you?
  • Carbonator wrote:

I got my wife into road bikes and things are a lot more easily justified to her now :)

i got my girlfriend into road bikes and she now understands the prices of things! no more "it was only £20 online" when buying a new jersey :mrgreen: :evil:
  • drwae
    Delivery today from China!
    I already feel faster and I haven't even ridden it yet :)

i2yFYG2.jpg
    pX2gZOE.jpg

Total cost £2.88 no way would I pay £40 for this sh*t
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    drwae wrote:

i2yFYG2.jpg
    pX2gZOE.jpg

Bargain. :D
  • chris_bass
    drwae wrote:

i2yFYG2.jpg
    pX2gZOE.jpg

until the little tab at the bottom snaps and the bottle falls into the bottom bracket, you hit it with your foot, fall off the bike and it all snaps into tiny pieces!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I have some plastic Lezyne jobs. They look a bit odd but have a grip like a gorilla. There's a definite knack to getting a bottle in and out, but now it's second nature and I can manage it in the dark. There's no way I'll ever have a bottle jump out.

Sorry, what was the question again?
  • drwae wrote:

I wouldn't pay £2.88 for that sh*t. Each to their own though.
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • drwae
    drwae wrote:

I wouldn't pay £2.88 for that sh*t. Each to their own though.
    But I guess you'd pay £40 for the same thing that has been imported branded and distributed by a uk company?
  • chris_bass
    I think he was suggesting it looks a bit sh*t even for £2.88, I kind of agree!