2017 Tiny Tours Thread

Comments

• just a quick one as my man Geniez takes a win at Provence - ok not the strongest of fields ---that's Rohan Dennis second on stage and first on GC Geniez second and 22 club member Matej Mohoric third - final stage tomorrow

16836368_606236579586519_5215404069424977240_o.jpg?oh=c7c05b8105f36ab3f357bba4ed8c3906&oe=59409166
  • dav1d1
    dav1d1 Posts: 653
    Abu Dhabi tour started on Eurosport! Also on YouTube also! Team sky could be fined €100,000 after 6 riders started instead of 8
  • Dav1d1 wrote:
    Abu Dhabi tour started on Eurosport! Also on YouTube also! Team sky could be fined €100,000 after 6 riders started instead of 8

This is one of the non-compulsory WT races though isn't it - so a bit of a grey area - 'no you don't have to race but if you turn up short of riders we'll fine you'.
    Either way am sure the local organisers will be happy to be invoiced for Sky's UCI fine.
  • dav1d1
    4km to go contador crashed, kittel lost his team as it came into the headwind
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Dav1d1 wrote:

This is one of the non-compulsory WT races though isn't it - so a bit of a grey area - 'no you don't have to race but if you turn up short of riders we'll fine you'.
    Either way am sure the local organisers will be happy to be invoiced for Sky's UCI fine.
    Eight riders for a four stage race with one climb is silly IMO. Six would get potentially better racing but no fewer star names.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449
    Poor Owain Doull, first race back and he hits the deck.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    Cav's not finished then
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • andyp wrote:
    Poor Owain Doull, first race back and he hits the deck.

Looks to have come off the worst of those down.
    Cav has finished being finished for a bit.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • dav1d1
    Crash under the 1km banner, kittel, doull, dowsett down! Doull looked worse lots of road rash! Sprint between cav and greipel, cav won
  • Cav's finished 1st.
    Blog on first season road racing http://www.twhatley.com/
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    Gazprom team are my #1 enemy team.
  • dav1d1
    Sky riders question disc breaks after doull crashed with kittel who uses them!

C5Wqe2wWcAE1Avt?format=jpg&name=large

C5Wqe2yWYAESOLk?format=jpg&name=large

C5Wqe2xWYAAzB48?format=jpg&name=large

Photos from twitter @sophiesmith86
  • gweeds
    He's not having much luck so far this year
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Thats a weird one. Video here: http://video.eurosport.com/cycling/abu- ... ideo.shtml Doesnt show it well enough to distinguish whether it was discs. Possible that the barriers at the side were involved too. They did slide a short distance though so there could have been a spinning disc I suppose. More believable than the last one that was blamed on discs where the physis just wouldnt support it.
  • dav1d1
    I watched that video and can't see a disc on kittel bike when he's rolling over the line!
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,391
    Looks to me like someone was pushed into the barriers and the others went over him.
  • apreading
    Actually, if you read the quotes from Doull here: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/doull-c ... ign=buffer
    "My shoe was cut to pieces. That’s definitely a disc brake that has done that,” said Doull.

"It’s gone straight through the shoe into my foot. It’s lucky that’s not my leg to be honest. If anything I’ve come off lucky there, if that’d been my leg it would have cut straight through it, for sure. You’ve seen my shoe – it’s gone straight through that."

"Nothing else could cut like that, it’s like a knife, it cut straight through it. You can see that thin line, it’s exactly in line, cut there and cut there on my shoe and both straight through in an arrow-straight line."

He doesnt say he hit the disc - he is assuming that is what happened based on inspecting the damage and saying that is his 'guess' (for want of a better word)
  • Kittel has said now that he locked bars with Doull and went over the bars.
  • Is Kittel's hair fit to continue?
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • gweeds
    It acts like a hairbag
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,313
    After hearing Kittel's account of his altercation with Gusev, when he got a smack in the mouth for being a bully (IMHO), I suspect this season will reveal him as a bit of a turd.
  • apreading
    Watching the video here again, in high def: http://video.eurosport.co.uk/cycling/ab ... ideo.shtml

Its clear that there was a rider on the left near the barrier, then Doull, then Kittel. Doull and the man on the left collide and fall off the road into the barriers on the left. Kittel swerves slightly to the right, away from them, and hits another rider (who doesnt come off) then goes over the bars and faceplants well down the road from where Doull stops.

Doull doesnt say he hit kittel or a disc - he is actually quoted in this article "It wasn’t until I got back here [the team car] and it looked at it and we said, it has to be that [a disc]" ... "That is definitely it because nothing else could cut quite like that." ... "I’m not too sure how the crash happened, it’s always going to be sketchy in a sprint"

This is just bu****it. Doull doesnt know - he made an assumption after the event. And the video shows his assumption was wrong.

I can understand why he guessed at discs being the cause, and am not sure how else to explain it - maybe the feet on the barriers were sharp?

But it certainly wasnt Kittel's discs...
  • apreading wrote:
    Watching the video here again, in high def: http://video.eurosport.co.uk/cycling/ab ... ideo.shtml

Its clear that there was a rider on the left near the barrier, then Doull, then Kittel. Doull and the man on the left collide and fall off the road into the barriers on the left. Kittel swerves slightly to the right, away from them, and hits another rider (who doesnt come off) then goes over the bars and faceplants well down the road from where Doull stops.

Doull doesnt say he hit kittel or a disc - he is actually quoted in this article "It wasn’t until I got back here [the team car] and it looked at it and we said, it has to be that [a disc]" ... "That is definitely it because nothing else could cut quite like that." ... "I’m not too sure how the crash happened, it’s always going to be sketchy in a sprint"

This is just bu****it. Doull doesnt know - he made an assumption after the event. And the video shows his assumption was wrong.

I can understand why he guessed at discs being the cause, and am not sure how else to explain it - maybe the feet on the barriers were sharp?

But it certainly wasnt Kittel's discs...

You know Kittel doesn't rider for Giant anymore?

Kittel clashes with someone in Giant kit, goes down, behind them Doull and Dimension data rider collide and go down next to where Giant and Kittel bike is, and then Ag2r rider rides through crash with and doesn't come off.
  • It is thinkable that the feet of the barrier could cut, but I just can't see it being that sharp a cut. Ped barrier has no place in cycling. Protruding feet that close to the end as well.
  • apreading
    See here for those struggling with the video:

32233858764_e3c16cd5f9_o.jpg
  • stretchy
    stretchy Posts: 149
    I think we have the number 1 member of the disc brake fan club here.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449
    stretchy wrote:

Is that the best you can come up with? He's just thoroughly debunked the allegation that Doull's injuries had something to do with disc rotors and all you can do is make a snide comment.
  • stretchy
    stretchy Posts: 149
    andyp wrote:
    stretchy wrote:

Is that the best you can come up with? He's just thoroughly debunked the allegation that Doull's injuries had something to do with disc rotors and all you can do is make a snide comment.

No need to get offended. It's a joke :roll: Are you "the one guy that can't take the banter"?

He's obviously put a lot of effort into that post, and some would argue that it's not thoroughly debunked at all depending on their preference.
  • That is so Team Sky to kick off about disc brakes when there isn't clear evidence that it was they that caused Doull's injury.
  • dav1d1
    Kittel not starting on disc breaks today,