2017 Tiny Tours Thread

type:epyt
type:epyt Posts: 766
edited February 2017 in Pro race
Seeing as it's likely not worth having a thread for each of the random multi-day races going on at this time of year, I thought we could just have a thread for the lot of them ...

This week we have Oman, Andalucia, Algarve ...
Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.

Comments

• In the tour of Valverde ,,. he's off the front with his crash prone compatriot top tubing it to try to catch him ...
  • Valverde wins, stops his celebrations short to not tw@t himself on the barriers ... Was actually a pretty decent last 20km ...
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    C4t92nXWcAY0zn-.jpg

That's a high class top ten for mid February
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    Gaviria
    Greipel
    Bouhanni

In the Algarve. Gaviria got a bit of grief from Greipel for not holding his line - but unlikely to be changed
  • Both pf the Iberian races have MTFs tomorrow.

Cav is finished btw.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Does the Presidential Tour of Turkey count as a tiny tour? Because if it does, it appears to have just got a little bit tinier:

http://www.uci.ch/pressreleases/uci-statement-the-presidential-cycling-tour-turkey/
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,564
    Anyone know why Cav sat up today??
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104
    I've never gone in for this 'my man' nonsense, but Ondrej Cink is looking like an interesting prospect.
  • lyn1
    lyn1 Posts: 261
    Gweeds wrote:

Team Dimension Data ‏@TeamDiData 4h4 hours ago
    More
    #Valgarve2017 Fernando Gaviria (QST) wins stage 1. @MarkCavendish was leading out EBH, and the Boss placed 10th.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,564
    lyn1 wrote:
    Gweeds wrote:

Team Dimension Data ‏@TeamDiData 4h4 hours ago
    More
    #Valgarve2017 Fernando Gaviria (QST) wins stage 1. @MarkCavendish was leading out EBH, and the Boss placed 10th.

Ah. Thank you
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • I like the Tour of Turkey, sad to see it go, but understandable given the political situation really
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    I like the Tour of Turkey, sad to see it go, but understandable given the political situation really

They're looking at October as a reschedule.
  • RichN95.
    Some quality racing in Andalucia today.
  • RichN95 wrote:

Was good wasn't it? Contador continuing with his now trademark 'I'm going to blow the race apart but not have enough to sustain it until the finish' tactics. Nice to see some proper racing in Feb.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95 wrote:

Was good wasn't it? Contador continuing with his now trademark 'I'm going to blow the race apart but not have enough to sustain it until the finish' tactics. Nice to see some proper racing in Feb.
    Yeah, standard practice from him. Attack and open up a 20-30 second gap quite quickly and then fail to grow it, eventually losing it. I think others let him go so he blows himself out these days.
  • specialgueststar
    specialgueststar Posts: 3,418
    edited February 2017
    Splendid. What

16797245_1261637923925934_4596135888864816172_o.jpg?oh=970f3996423d6f5b23ef7bda06be7d8f&oe=593DE14C
  • Bardet at Oman

16722845_603505206526323_6633928540931290377_o.jpg?oh=9b7ca4492a225081e99464600323668c&oe=59025B4E
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    edited February 2017
    Quick Step produce a fair impression of Gewiss, as Stybar and Mas in launching eventual winner, Dan Martin, with all of 10kms to go, blow everybody off their wheels.
    Eventually, only Roglic and Kwiatkowski were able to get across the gap. The rest were strewn across Algarve's tallest lump.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    So that will be 'my man' Roglic then...
    Half man, Half bike
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,002
    Algarve footage there looked nice - blue skies and sunshine.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,002
    RichN95 wrote:

Just watched the last 5km. Enjoyed that.
    At last I'm feeling the winter is ending.
  • RichN95.
    Algarve result today. I think we can all agree that Gaviria is finished
    Pipe down cat boy - he's finished. You need to accept the result.

C49qEO6WAAASylR.jpg
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,231
    At last - some actual chat about actual pros actually racing.
    Here's hoping the needle between Bertie and Valverde continues all the way to the Vuelta.
    Perhaps that's a definition of "proper racers": able to p!ss in each other's chips whilst hitting everyone else with frying pans...
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    Groenewegen, the real deal.
  • rick_chasey
    Does Landa always climb in the drops?
  • rick_chasey
    Contador's cadence was a lot slower than usual on that MTF a couple of days ago...
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    Groenewegen, Campenaerts, Roglic, the real deal.

...let me just help you there.
    Half man, Half bike
  • That was an interesting win today in the Algarve
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104
    That was an interesting win today in the Algarve

To be fair, he wasn't a threat to the overall and timed his attack well, and the race was hardly stacked with top tier climbers, i.e. EBH was in the lead group of 15 or so when he attacked.

But the issues with doping in the domestic pro scene in Portugal are, I think, pretty well established.
  • andyp wrote:
    That was an interesting win today in the Algarve

To be fair, he wasn't a threat to the overall and timed his attack well, and the race was hardly stacked with top tier climbers, i.e. EBH was in the lead group of 15 or so when he attacked.

But the issues with doping in the domestic pro scene in Portugal are, I think, pretty well established.

Indeed. FTR Antunes's team has...issues...and a reputation...

The top 10 of his 4th place on a pretty identical stage in last year's race, makes me giggle
    http://www.procyclingstats.com/race/Vol ... 16_Stage_5