pensioners average income vs working age family income

Comments

• Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Mind you, despite being in a priviliged postion we still have lots to moan about. Being net savers with zero interest is well annoying...
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,560
    team47b wrote:
    But then, I'm a generation snowflake, so whatevs.

Thank you for breaking the first rule of fight club and bringing this term to my attention, I will be using it often :D
    Here you go:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_Snowflake

"Generation Snowflake, or Snowflake Generation, is a term used to characterise young adults of the 2010s as being more prone to taking offence and less resilient than previous generations, or too emotionally vulnerable to cope with views that challenge their own."

You have to wonder what they'll be like when they're old...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Mr Goo wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Retirement : - a word that will probably become obsolete from the Oxford English dictionary in a decade or so.

Could always take on younger people from other parts of the world to help sustain the aged, who would chomp at the bit to have a higher earning potential in the UK.

Oh, wait, maybe not Goo. :wink:

Let it go and try and have sensible dialogue without muck raking.

If you want it kept sensible then throw out a solution or theory for when the incumbent poplulation don't reproduce enough but still require people to do the work that also pays the bills? No muck raked at all...how do you see it? Who pays, who works and in what form does it survive, let alone prosper.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    So Snowflakes moan that pensioners are better off than them because their pensions are too generous. They also moan about the high unemployment rate for snowflakes. So what do they propose?
    If you reduce the pension and make it less attractive for the elderly to give up work, what do you think that would do for snowflake unemployment rate?
  • Stevo_666
    Ballysmate wrote:
    So Snowflakes moan that pensioners are better off than them because their pensions are too generous. They also moan about the high unemployment rate for snowflakes. So what do they propose?
    If you reduce the pension and make it less attractive for the elderly to give up work, what do you think that would do for snowflake unemployment rate?
    Stop being so logical Bally. If the snowflakes don't have anything to whinge about, they might start whinging about that. Oh, hang on... :D
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    I do wonder how much the continuing trend of automation and AI will reduce the need for work(ers) due to massive productivity gains, so maybe the working until you're in your mid-70s won't happen, even without the forriners.

BTW, use of the term "snowflake" marks you out as a miserable old t0sser who gets all his/her views on da yoof of 2day from Daily Mail columnists.
  • Stevo_666
    finchy wrote:
    BTW, use of the term "snowflake" marks you out as a miserable old t0sser who gets all his/her views on da yoof of 2day from Daily Mail columnists.
    That's bit harsh on the OP don't you think?
  • Stevo_666
    And come to think of it, moaning about the use of the term 'snowflake' marks you out as a bit of a snowflake :wink:
  • ballysmate
    finchy wrote:
    I do wonder how much the continuing trend of automation and AI will reduce the need for work(ers) due to massive productivity gains, so maybe the working until you're in your mid-70s won't happen, even without the forriners.

Never used the term before Rick described himself as such. If he has introduced a term that people find offensive, he's a very naughty boy, upsetting the snowflakes like that.. :wink:

The term was used tongue in cheek but it is a bit surprising that the term is irksome to some snowflakes but the scorn afforded pensioners in the EU thread goes unchallenged.
    Perhaps pensioners are considered to be made of sterner stuff eh?
  • finchy
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    And come to think of it, moaning about the use of the term 'snowflake' marks you out as a bit of a snowflake :wink:

I'm 37, I think I miss out on being called a snowflake by 2 years.
  • As long as you already have a mortgage. And your pay keeps pace with price rises.

I am just throwing some economic theory around. In a perfect world it would be win/win but we do not live in a perfect world so would bound to be losers

The current situation wouldn't help younger earners because house prices have been inflated beyond them anyway, so the vast majority wouldn't have the debt to enjoy the inflation in the first place.

Appreciate I don't live in a cheap area, but house prices and rents around London are increasing faster than my wage does, and has been since I was working (and i don't earn badly, either for my industry, my age, or my education) - and that was where the work was when I graduated in '09.

I thought that an obsession with owning property was a uniquely british thing - maybe you are one of us
  • ballysmate
    finchy wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

A mere slip of a lad.
  • finchy
    Ballysmate wrote:
    finchy wrote:

Never used the term before Rick described himself as such. If he has introduced a term that people find offensive, he's a very naughty boy, upsetting the snowflakes like that.. :wink:

The term was used tongue in cheek but it is a bit surprising that the term is irksome to some snowflakes but the scorn afforded pensioners in the EU thread goes unchallenged.
    Perhaps pensioners are considered to be made of sterner stuff eh?

My granddad (84 years old) calls leave voters far worse than I've seen on the EU thread. Funnily enough, they get all huffy and offended when he does it in front of a leave voter. :D
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,699
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    I much prefer metropolitan liberal elite.

I might be pushing it with the elite bit. :|
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I'm confused.

I dare say I'd be labelled as a 'snowflake', given my tendency towards left-leaning views. Yet I'm employed, own property and currently have a generous Public Sector pension.

It's difficult to put people in boxes, isn't it?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    As long as you already have a mortgage. And your pay keeps pace with price rises.

I am just throwing some economic theory around. In a perfect world it would be win/win but we do not live in a perfect world so would bound to be losers

The current situation wouldn't help younger earners because house prices have been inflated beyond them anyway, so the vast majority wouldn't have the debt to enjoy the inflation in the first place.

Appreciate I don't live in a cheap area, but house prices and rents around London are increasing faster than my wage does, and has been since I was working (and i don't earn badly, either for my industry, my age, or my education) - and that was where the work was when I graduated in '09.

I thought that an obsession with owning property was a uniquely british thing - maybe you are one of us

If the structure of the market was set up and aimed at majority renting, it'd be a different story.

Alas, it isn't. So either you need to join them or lose out.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Ben6899 wrote:
    I'm confused.

I dare say I'd be labelled as a 'snowflake', given my tendency towards left-leaning views. Yet I'm employed, own property and currently have a generous Public Sector pension.

Not really, plenty of leave voters would love to put remainers in boxes........ permanently.

glad you said "currently" that ll change, i used to be on one of those, company sold, pension went from 14k to 3.8k sorry, just the way it is..
    So i stopped all payments and bought a house with the spare cash, best thing i ever did, the amounts i was paying in and the predicted pension, even with employer 6% contribution, meant i might as well keep the money under the mattress.
    the frozen scheme is also in deep trouble, so unless i can start drawing a pension in the next 3 years, i ll possibly not even get what i ve paid in, ever.
    how the Gov is conning low paid workers with the the new work place pensions is beyond me, how is paying in 10 or 20 per month going to build to a decent pension?

unfortunately, the way fwd is higher taxes, so people can retire whilst still in reasonable health and the younger worker can have their jobs
    its unsustainable to have immigration as a means in itself for this issue, we havent the housing, schools, transport or health services for this and unless there are tax rises, we wont have either (as we are not about to cancel Trident or HS2)
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Well exactly. This is why I have another pension, savings etc. And the property should help.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Stevo_666
    finchy wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

It's a bit like being time barred from Club 18-30; a blessing in disguise.
  • I thought the term snowflake was all about "no platforming" and "trigger warnings" and risking being pushed into PTSD by hearing about naughty people, not about not wanting to pay for Len Goodman's TV licence.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    I thought the term snowflake was all about "no platforming" and "trigger warnings" and risking being pushed into PTSD by hearing about naughty people, not about not wanting to pay for Len Goodman's TV licence.
    It is.

Though there's an element that is applicable more broadly, which was, as children, the majority of us were all told we were unique and destined to great things, both by parents and teachers - which gives a certain level of entitlement.

They could have saved me a fair bit of grief by just saying "yeah Rick, your grades are good, but learning to live a decent adult life is about accepting you're just sentient meat like everyone else, and above all, you need to be comfortable with the decisions you make." rather than "your grades are great, you could be prime minister one day" (I literally heard this from two separate teachers).

But then a year of looking for work post uni (despite a decent grade) knocked that outta me. But I'd rather not have had to knock it out in the first place.
  • Ha, no one ever told me that. I just got told I was intelligent but lazy, which is fair enough.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    All in all you're just another brick in the wall...
  • finchy
    Ben6899 wrote:
    I'm confused.

The term comes from a few dozen people from across the English-speaking world who burst into tears whenever they hear views differing from their own, or no-platform others for the slightest transgression. These nutjobs then end up all over social media (check out "Trigglypuff" on youtube for a classic example, it's really quite funny), and that's enough for the Daily Fail and other "news" outlets to tar an entire generation.
  • narbs
    narbs Posts: 593
    finchy wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    I'm confused.

The term comes from a few dozen people from across the English-speaking world who burst into tears whenever they hear views differing from their own, or no-platform others for the slightest transgression. These nutjobs then end up all over social media (check out "Trigglypuff" on youtube for a classic example, it's really quite funny), and that's enough for the Daily Fail and other "news" outlets to tar an entire generation.

Sounds a bit like Trump.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    interesting, Id always thought the snowflake thing was because millennials tended to melt when faced with blockers to their view of the world, as theyd grown up in this structure where no was a rarely heard word and theyd always got their own way, and they never had that gut wrenching experience of being on a losing side at a sports day, so to be confronted with someone that disagreed with them, or to experience not winning everything, they melted, Ive only heard the unique/special thing recently as a way of reclaiming the term from the perjorative.

but what I do know, Im gen X, so you know, meh, like "whatever" 8)
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    narbs wrote:
    finchy wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    I'm confused.

Sounds a bit like Trump.

Sounds like a lot of people on the Brexit thread.
  • Stevo_666
    Pituophis wrote:
    narbs wrote:
    finchy wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    I'm confused.

Sounds a bit like Trump.

Sounds like a lot of people on the Brexit thread.
    :D

Not a bad observation.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    This is like the 'haves' and 'havenots'.
    Plenty of pensioners who still fall into the latter as well.
    Those pensioners with pension and other income above threshold still liable to income tax and NIC, please correct if I am wrong, so still paying into the national treasure chest.
    My personal situation is that I am probably in the deep doo come the time I cannot work due to health reasons or whatever.. I could never stick a job long enough to accrue a decent salary or pension rights after leaving the Army , a long long time ago... my Veterans pension will just about stop me having to sleep rough -- I am almost not joking .

In the end we have all been let down badly by our so called betters - of all political persuasions..