Hi

Moojii
Moojii Posts: 17
edited February 2017 in Road beginners
Hi everybody.

I'm a new member here and just wanted to say hi.

My wife and I are contemplating buying some bikes for many reasons really. We are both 40s, overweight and in dire need of some excersise. It's been 20 odd years since I've ridden a bike and I am very apprehensive to say the least. The vast array of bikes is very daunting and to top it off our best friends are massive cycling fans and want us to tag along on a ride. I know I'll be a mile in be at the side of the road vomiting.

We also have a 8 year old who is keen for us to buy bikes and ride around the local lakes with her.

Advice please. It's not too late for us is it? I'm afraid we will look right wallies.

Also do we buy new or second hand? Hybrid or mtb? Arghhhhhhhhhhh

Martin.

Comments

• It all depends on what sort of riding you think you will be doing, it may help if you can borrow a bike for a pedal and see how you feel about it after that. Loads of advice on here, also the search function will help you answer any questions you may have. Nothing wrong with second hand just do your homework first.. good luck!
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Ciao

Never too late - brilliant to read that you're giving it a go.

Have a think about where you're thinking of riding and maybe wander down and see what else people are using: offhand, something like a hybrid (road bike with flat bars and wider tyres) is always a good start for gravelly path/cycle path riding. The have a ponder about budget and we'll se if we can point you in the right direction.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    My bike got nicked when I was 25 I think, and I didn't throw a leg over another one till I was in my 40s and pretty unfit. The first few rides were a real shock, but I stuck at it. Fitness returned slowly and the mileage increased. Here I am 20 years later and approaching my 60th birthday. Cycling now consumes most of my disposable income, but I'm fitter and thinner than I've been since I was a teenager.

So it's certainly not too late for you. Decide what kind of riding you will be doing, and buy the appropriate bikes. If you'll only ever ride on the road, get road bikes. If you want to do a bit of gravel / towpath stuff too, maybe hybrids. Don't choose mountain bikes if you'll never venture off road properly; they weigh a ton and knobbly tyres are a real drag on the road. Importantly, make sure you get the right sizes.

And start small and build up the time on the bikes gradually. Try to enjoy the rides rather than exhausting yourselves. Don't expect to hop on and bash out a 50 miler the first week, it won't happen, and it will sap your motivation.
  • Moojii
    We are going to be mainly back roads plus around lakes and on cycle paths etc so I reckon hybrids are the way to go.

In fact we are that keen we have been to our local independent bike shop this afternoon and ordered a couple of bikes plus accessories.

I have gone for a forme peak trail 3 and the wife really liked the python Daytona.

For better or worse that's what we went for. Pick them up on Saturday.

Yay.
  • Welcome Martin. Good to hear you're taking to 2 wheels.

Those bikes will be fine to get you going for not too much money. Look forward to seeing you back here in 6 months looking for advice on your next bike once you've got the bug!
    GET WHEEZY - WALNUT LUNG RACING TEAM™
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Perfect timing; the weather's improving at last! Supposed to be 12 degrees by Wednesday. And I'll be stuck in a meeting in Germany form most of the week :(
  • Matthewfalle
    Moojii wrote:
    We are going to be mainly back roads plus around lakes and on cycle paths etc so I reckon hybrids are the way to go.

In fact we are that keen we have been to our local independent bike shop this afternoon and ordered a couple of bikes plus accessories.

I have gone for a forme peak trail 3 and the wife really liked the python Daytona.

For better or worse that's what we went for. Pick them up on Saturday.

Yay.

Coolio - top work that man (and woman)! Enjoy lots.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    edited February 2017
    Welcome along. You'll no doubt have a lot of questions for the forum-ites. The only daft question is the one you didn't ask in time. The question of whether it's too late for you, is an easy one to answer. No it isn't too late, it's never too late to start. As to which type of bike you're after, well that's more difficult to answer. It all depends on your budget, and which type of riding you'll be doing. I see you've plumped for trail rides and the like. The Hybrids you've bought will do the job nicely, when you're more comfortable with the whole 'riding a bike' malarkey, you may want to consider upgrading to a drop bar 'adventure / gravel' bike in the future. These are a 'best of both worlds' solution. You can ride them more comfortably for longer distances, on the road, but still have the gearing geometery ( how the bits of frame and bars are shaped, angled, and fit together essentially) and brakes of a rugged hybrid, you'll also probably have clearance for wider tyres, than you'll typically find on a 'sportive / road' bike, and you'll find gravel / adventure type bikes will have a bit more ground clearance around the bottom bracket area ( the bit where the crank arms meet the frame). Have fun, enjoy riding / getting fit, and don't fret about the finer details too much just yet.
  • Moojii
    Thanks everybody.

Any tips for keeping upright and in a straight line?
  • Moojii
    What are the max user weight of those bikes ya reckon?
  • Matthewfalle
    Moojii wrote:
    Thanks everybody.

Any tips for keeping upright and in a straight line?

Perseverance, smiling, practice and laughter.

If really unsure, just try pushing yourselves along (not pedalling) and whooshing (technical term) down the road. Then start pedalling.

Obviously go somewhere flat, quiet, decent tarmac to start - empty school playgrounds or supermarket car parks are perfect.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Moojii wrote:

Millions - you'll be fine.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Moojii
    Moojii wrote:

Ha. Thanks dude.
  • Matthewfalle
    Moojii wrote:
    Moojii wrote:

Ha. Thanks dude.

Pleasure - more than happy to help any time.

Anything you need, post on here: someone will be able to help out.

Just remember to persevere and enjoy it: Some days it'll be simple as, some days a bit jack, but in the end it'll be worth it.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Moojii
    Moojii wrote:
    Moojii wrote:

Ha. Thanks dude.

Pleasure - more than happy to help any time.

Anything you need, post on here: someone will be able to help out.

Just remember to persevere and enjoy it: Some days it'll be simple as, some days a bit jack, but in the end it'll be worth it.

Awesome. Thanks.
  • Moojii
    Just had to buy the nipper a new bike too.

Took it out of hibernation today and it seems she has grown 6 inches since last year.

Off to the local shop we go. £170 lighter.
  • Matthewfalle
    All good long term investment :) I trust you got her a helmet as well?

Give the old one a clean, stick it on Gum Tree, make some money back. Otherwise donate to charity, get karma points in the bank.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Moojii - don't forget to take the wherewithal to fix a puncture on all 3 bikes (personally I take a spare inner tube, some patches and a pump). Bad enough tonnage to walk back when your bike has a flat - having a moaning better half or kid and having to walk back (with your perfectly serviceable steed because theirs is the one with the issue) that's torture.
  • Moojii
    All good long term investment :) I trust you got her a helmet as well?

Give the old one a clean, stick it on Gum Tree, make some money back. Otherwise donate to charity, get karma points in the bank.

Yes. She already has a helmet but good point

Gumtree here it comes.
  • Moojii
    Moojii - don't forget to take the wherewithal to fix a puncture on all 3 bikes (personally I take a spare inner tube, some patches and a pump). Bad enough tonnage to walk back when your bike has a flat - having a moaning better half or kid and having to walk back (with your perfectly serviceable steed because theirs is the one with the issue) that's torture.

Yes. The chap in the shop suggested just the same, so when we pick the bikes up on Saturday we will get all misc items.
  • Matthewfalle
    But please don't use the word steed in any part of your cycling. It's not a horse, it's a bi-cycle.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Moojii
    But please don't use the word steed in any part of your cycling. It's not a horse, it's a bi-cycle.

I had no intention. Who calls a bike that?
  • Matthewfalle
    Man of Lard et autres it would seem, unfortunately.

I am grateful for your words - they re-assure me :)

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Meh, call it whatever you want as long as you're riding it you're more epic than if you weren't
  • Moojii
    Meh, call it whatever you want as long as you're riding it you're more epic than if you weren't

Feeling epic.

For our first outing on Sunday we are doing the 7.5 miles around pitsford reservoir in Northamptonshire.

Looking forward to it.
  • Do it in kilometres - it sounds further :D
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Don't forget to take a "bidon" & fit holders for them.
  • Matthewfalle
    Sweet - have fun. Don't forget to pump up tyres - it makes it all easier. And to have coffee at the end. Any aches or pains-Radox bath.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Moojii
    Moonbiker wrote:
    Don't forget to take a "bidon" & fit holders for them.

Go on then. What's a "bidon"?
  • Moojii
    Sweet - have fun. Don't forget to pump up tyres - it makes it all easier. And to have coffee at the end. Any aches or pains-Radox bath.

Swap coffee for beer.