Cosine wheels.....No longer available??

neilr4
neilr4 Posts: 161
edited April 2017 in Road buying advice
Having read numerous positive reviews about wiggle's own-branded wheels I decided to purchase a set recently only to discover that they have stopped supplying them and have no plans to do so in future :shock: :shock: :shock:

Anybody know why?

Neil.
'REMEMBER SOME PEOPLE ARE ALIVE
SIMPLY BECAUSE IT IS ILLEGAL TO SHOOT THEM'

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    That's weird because today they are showing videos of cosine 55mm wheels on twitter?

Probably run down 2016 models in favour of 2017 new stock to arrive?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Er just looked. 4 sets of cosine on wiggle tonight. At least one model is in stock.
  • drwae
    drwae Posts: 223
    Last time I checked a few days ago the 55mm had gone but the 45mm was still available.
  • rob13
    rob13 Posts: 430
    The disc options have gone.
  • jameses
    jameses Posts: 653
    I had a set of the disc wheels for a month before the freehub gave up - QC issues, perhaps?
  • neilr4
    neilr4 Posts: 161
    JamesEs wrote:
    I had a set of the disc wheels for a month before the freehub gave up - QC issues, perhaps?

Quite possibly something to do with quality.

I chatted with a wiggle rep online regarding the wheels and he informed me that the model I requested (55mm rim brake version) were no longer in stock nor would they be replaced!!!
    'REMEMBER SOME PEOPLE ARE ALIVE
    SIMPLY BECAUSE IT IS ILLEGAL TO SHOOT THEM'
  • skeetam
    skeetam Posts: 178
    They have the 'Prime' wheels brand at their stablemate, Chain Reaction. Wiggle might end up stocking them instead?
  • mjjbuk
    mjjbuk Posts: 40
    They've def discontinued them. I had a set of carbon 45's in my basket for a couple of days and they vanished so I chatted to an online rep yesterday and he confirmed that they no longer stock them...
  • drwae
    Cosine 24mm were discontinued recently. I have a set unopened in the box waiting to use so I confirmed with wiggle just to make sure that there was no fault with the product. They said there is no fault, its just the manufacturer discontinued them
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    And so goes any form of out-of-warranty support... no spares and all of that. Within a few months it's like they never existed. Unfortunately it just proves once again the point that these things are treated as disposable items. I question whether a shaky Chinese warranty from a manufacturer that keeps existing and trading the product is in actual fact really worse than a one year UK warranty followed by nothing
    left the forum March 2023
  • drwae
    And so goes any form of out-of-warranty support... no spares and all of that. Within a few months it's like they never existed. Unfortunately it just proves once again the point that these things are treated as disposable items. I question whether a shaky Chinese warranty from a manufacturer that keeps existing and trading the product is in actual fact really worse than a one year UK warranty followed by nothing
    Yep makes me glad I ended up going the handbuilt route, I was so close to getting the COSINE 55mm until Malcom won me over :)
    I'm not too bothered about the COSINE 24mm I have, as they cost me £50 with the platinum discount + WIGGLELOVE code and they're just for the winter bike. Presumably if it's the bearings that go, replacements can be sourced fairly easily.

I was thinking of getting a set of CRC's Prime RP-50 for the summer, but the whole COSINE thing has made me reconsider. I do not want to be spending £750 on wheels that get discontinued and then find I can't get a replacement spoke or something.
  • ugo.santalucia
    drwae wrote:

I was thinking of getting a set of CRC's Prime RP-50 for the summer, but the whole COSINE thing has made me reconsider. I do not want to be spending £750 on wheels that get discontinued and then find I can't get a replacement spoke or something.

Spokes are generally not a problem... assuming rims won't fail, it's the freehub that fckus you... freehubs are consumables in these wheels... you phone CRC they have no idea what the hubs are, you have no idea either... the internet wisdom will be split between 2-3 different OEM brands (Novatec? Bitex? Chosen?), which have more than one model each... no shop can/will help... what do you do?
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Blame Wiggle?
  • drwae
    drwae wrote:

Spokes are generally not a problem... assuming rims won't fail, it's the freehub that fckus you... freehubs are consumables in these wheels... you phone CRC they have no idea what the hubs are, you have no idea either... the internet wisdom will be split between 2-3 different OEM brands (Novatec? Bitex? Chosen?), which have more than one model each... no shop can/will help... what do you do?
    So you think I'd be better off going with a Chinese set (Yoeleo / Farsports)? at least then, they provide the hub model numbers etc.
  • alanparsons
    alanparsons Posts: 529
    drwae wrote:

I've got a lightly used set of Token c50's for sale, £650.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/token-c50-full-carbon-clincher-wheelset/
  • drwae
    edited March 2017
    drwae wrote:

I've got a lightly used set of Token c50's for sale, £650.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/token-c50-full-carbon-clincher-wheelset/
    But presumably you won't do 0% finance.. :) and those wheels aren't tubeless
  • ugo.santalucia
    drwae wrote:
    So you think I'd be better off going with a Chinese set (Yoeleo / Farsports)? at least then, they provide the hub model numbers etc.

IMO yes... I also suspect Farsport rims are better than those sourced by Wiggle. Don't know Yeoleo
  • bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    Gotta be honest, I ordered a 32mm alloy set as a 'back up wheelset' Sunday night as the wind has been so bad here of late, I have not wanted to take deeper wheels out. I tried to cancel the order but was told already at picking stage though I asked why I could not cancel then. They are due today and are going straight back. I spoke to the virtual assistant who advised three month warranty on the wheels and if you sort the wheat from the chaff, they are basically cr*p and even at £187 delivered its not worth it. All subjective of course.
  • roubaixmb
    roubaixmb Posts: 182
    it's the freehub that fckus you...

I have learned this to my cost with spada wheels too....
  • teebs_123
    teebs_123 Posts: 357
    Interestingly, but completely unrelated, Just riding along are now only selling their own wheels/hubs & Industry 9 offerings. They used to sell all different hubs to be built up with a choice of rim.

I did ask for a service on some Chris King hubs recently, but they only service what they sold (helpful, I'll take my business elsewhere then).
    Orbea Orca OMX DI2 MyO
    Kinesis 4s Di2
  • bristolpete
    Teebs_123 wrote:
    Interestingly, but completely unrelated, Just riding along are now only selling their own wheels/hubs & Industry 9 offerings. They used to sell all different hubs to be built up with a choice of rim.

I did ask for a service on some Chris King hubs recently, but they only service what they sold (helpful, I'll take my business elsewhere then).

I noted a bike shop in Bristol name unmentioned as a lovely shop actually, but owned by a former Olympic MTB'er is not servicing 'internet sourced' bikes. Interesting decision and possibly one to applaud but money in the til and all that ?

http://bwcycling.co.uk/workshop/
  • drwae
    Teebs_123 wrote:

I noted a bike shop in Bristol name unmentioned as a lovely shop actually, but owned by a former Olympic MTB'er is not servicing 'internet sourced' bikes. Interesting decision and possibly one to applaud but money in the til and all that ?

Canyon, Ribble, I'm surprised. Internet sourced in general I can understand as being a reputation thing - if someone takes a shit bike they bought for £80 on Amazon to have work done, it's fixed and inevitably a week later something else goes wrong and they start complaining about the shop - but I always thought Canyon and Ribble were good.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Teebs_123 wrote:

They always had this policy. John discussed it with me once via email and his point makes perfect sense
  • ugo.santalucia

I suspect the reason is exactly the one they quote on the website... hassle with the warranty. Someone brings in a bike, they work on it, maybe they change the cables or leave a trace of their work, then the owner sends it back for warranty issues, the retailer points out the work carried out by others and claims it voids the warranty... the owner moans with the shop... not worth it, when you look at it like that.

I am not saying it is not retaliation, but it makes sense
  • teebs_123
    teebs_123 Posts: 357
    Teebs_123 wrote:

They always had this policy. John discussed it with me once via email and his point makes perfect sense

That's fine, it's their policy. Shame as they're only 2 miles from my home so it would be good for me.
    Orbea Orca OMX DI2 MyO
    Kinesis 4s Di2
  • bristolpete

I suspect the reason is exactly the one they quote on the website... hassle with the warranty. Someone brings in a bike, they work on it, maybe they change the cables or leave a trace of their work, then the owner sends it back for warranty issues, the retailer points out the work carried out by others and claims it voids the warranty... the owner moans with the shop... not worth it, when you look at it like that.

I am not saying it is not retaliation, but it makes sense

True dat ....
  • bristolpete
    OK so Cosine 32mm alloy wheels literally just delivered and arrived when my Tuesday riding mate was here -just back from a tidy 45 miler. Decided actually for what they cost £ wise I am keeping them. Only going to be a 'back up wheelset' and interestingly on the box they list more data. Three cross rear - they seem like a 'budget' version of Zipp 101 or 30 which makes sense. As others have said, the join a little crude but I will let the brake blocks take care of that. 'If' I got the odd really bad weather day ride in on them I would be happy for 12 months as could not justify more £ on a wheelset that my not really see much action. Cyclist magazine seem to think they are OK. Ride report can follow if they go on the bike some time this week. Should never have sold my zipp 30's when I sold my TCR but cash was king 6 weeks back. Nice one.
  • bristolpete
    Amendment.

They are going back.

That join is just shocking. Sent a couple of images to people better informed than me and all agree - ropey.
  • curto80
    curto80 Posts: 314
    BW can fork right off

Spent loads in there over the years on servicing my X-lite and i found out about this through twitter. Not really a good way to treat loyal customers.

Luckily the former workshop manager there has started his own servicing business so I will use him instead.
    Rose Xlite Team 3100 Di2
    Kinesis Tripster ATR
    Orro Oxygen
  • bristolpete
    Curto80 wrote:
    BW can fork right off

Spent loads in there over the years on servicing my X-lite and i found out about this through twitter. Not really a good way to treat loyal customers.

Luckily the former workshop manager there has started his own servicing business so I will use him instead.

Matt D ?