Falling Stationary due to SPD and Finger/Palm start hurting

tyw214
tyw214 Posts: 52
edited February 2017 in Road beginners
So over this weekend i've fell off the bike 3 times while at almost (maybe like very slow moving) stationary because of failure of unclipping (just started using them) :(

I've landed on my palm each time (at least I think...) but i feel like my entire hand, especially the area on the base of my thumb also hurt (soreful-pain from moving my thumb). Is this normal? or i Fractured something that need medical attention? :(

I know this is stupid question, but are there like "fall techniques" that can like reduce how painful it is from falling? XD

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    tyw214 wrote:

I know this is stupid question, but are there like "fall techniques" that can like reduce how painful it is from falling? XD

Best technique is to learn to unclip properly, and therefore not fall off in the first place. Without wishing to sound patronising, it really should not be that difficult. I've seen 7/8 year olds do it routinely without issue.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    If you wait until you stop and then unclip you will panic and fall.

99% of the time you know you are stopping so unclip before you stop.

I've never had a problem and ive been using them for 30 years.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,329
    First time I bought clipless was 1994. I have only had one fall and that was due to the cleats being severely worn. There's no legislating for pure stupidity and laziness.

@ The OP: Find a door frame or park your bike on a Turbo Trainer and practice, You can also fiddle with the release tension. It might be set too tight.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • d00g81
    d00g81 Posts: 18
    You should have your hand/wrist assessed medically... a minor injuries unit would be ideal, tomorrow OK.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I had a clipless moment last week and landed on my left knee and gained a big scab on it which has now reached the itchy scab stage and is more annoying than the actual fall.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Pinno wrote:
    First time I bought clipless was 1994. I have only had one fall and that was due to the cleats being severely worn. There's no legislating for pure stupidity and laziness.

@ The OP: Find a door frame or park your bike on a Turbo Trainer and practice, You can also fiddle with the release tension. It might be set too tight.

I agree with Pinno. I'm fairly new and before I even went out, I parked my bike in the hall and just sat there clipping in and out for about half an hour.

I'm always well prepared. I always unclip one side (my least favoured) side about 50 yards from stopping, then if I do have a problem I have space to spare to sort any issue out.

Good luck
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    tyw214 wrote:

yes, loads ..... but honestly, if you are forgetting to unclip, do you really think you are going to remember how to fall properly when it happens ???

I think you are best off using the massive requirement of brain power to remember to unclip. OR use a fall technique that requires you to put your foot on the floor before you fall over thus slowing your fall.

Also, if you really are struggling, switch to sh-56 cleats - they are multidirectional and unclip easier AND loosen off the tightness on the pedal until you are comfortable using it
  • 1. Set the pedals to unclip with least effort.
    2. Always unclip the same foot first (either left or right) get into the habit.
    3. Unclip before stopping you can always clip back in if you find you don't need to stop.
    4. Don't rest the unclipped foot on the pedal, it may clip itself back in.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    If you're from Britain you really should unclip on the left anyway - so your foot is on the pavement and if it goes wrong you'll fall that way rather than out into the road.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,613
    Fenix wrote:
    If you're from Britain you really should unclip on the left anyway - so your foot is on the pavement and if it goes wrong you'll fall that way rather than out into the road.

This may be ideal but I think it depends a little on whether you are left or right footed.

As a left footer I've always found it natural to unclip my right foot. While I probably could train myself to do it the other way round I can't honestly say it's ever been a problem.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I'm right footed but it's not a massively tricky thing to unclip. It's just twisting the ankle. Hardly Strictly...
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    Apologies to the OP if I am wrong but I can't help thinking that this might be taking the wee wee and that we have seen this person before under another name. On the off chance that it is a genuine post, the best 'fall technique' is not to do it in the first place which really means practice the unclipping thing whilst stationery until you get it right. I can understand having the same problem once or, in extremis, twice in the same ride but three times?
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,400
    Imposter wrote:
    tyw214 wrote:

Best technique is to learn to unclip properly, and therefore not fall off in the first place. Without wishing to sound patronising, it really should not be that difficult. I've seen 7/8 year olds do it routinely without issue.
    Slightly harsh, 7/8 year olds have a greater capacity to learn new skills. An adult often requires more time
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Tashman wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    tyw214 wrote:

Slightly harsh, 7/8 year olds have a greater capacity to learn new skills. An adult often requires more time

Yeah, you could be right. It would certainly explain why the last few airline flights I have been on have been crewed by 7-year old pilots.
  • Tashman
    Imposter wrote:
    Tashman wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    tyw214 wrote:

Yeah, you could be right. It would certainly explain why the last few airline flights I have been on have been crewed by 7-year old pilots.
    Who compared flying to clipping out? I'm sure there are many 7 year olds that would be capable, but the law doesn't allow it ;) I'd flown solo at 16 before I'd sat in a car driving seat but only ever clipped in this year, and yes found it awkward to get on with as my body was telling me it wasn't a natural movement.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,749
    Learn how to do judo rolls.
    Allegedly.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Learn to track stand and the problem goes away.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    As for the hand - who's knows. Two lines on an internet cannot a diagnosis make. I suggest that you'll be fine after a pint or two of man up.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605

for how long ..... at some point you need to get off the bike ..................... or do you ?
  • From what you describe you may just have sprained your hand (ligament stretch) but it could be a scaphoid fracture so you should get it checked out soon.
  • Matthewfalle
    fat daddy wrote:

for how long ..... at some point you need to get off the bike ..................... or do you ?

Unless you live in the street I'd say when you get home get off the bike.

If it means that you have to fall off into the bins/front hedge/mattress that you keep in the garden (hey, all socioeconomic demographics catered for here) then so be it.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Neil Grubb wrote:
    From what you describe you may just have sprained your hand (ligament stretch) but it could be a scaphoid fracture so you should get it checked out soon.

I'd say your average A&E department is incredibly busy dealing with real issues so man up.

If it doesn't meet any fracture protocols then it's fine. It's called, in the trade, falling off bi-cycle hand.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    I thought this was a post about people dropping their pencils. I'm now disappointed.

Just keep at it (but don't fall off)
  • Matthewfalle
    But if you do decide to keep on falling off please can you film it so we can have a laugh?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Neil Grubb wrote:
    From what you describe you may just have sprained your hand (ligament stretch) but it could be a scaphoid fracture so you should get it checked out soon.

I'd say your average A&E department is incredibly busy dealing with real issues so man up.

If it doesn't meet any fracture protocols then it's fine. It's called, in the trade, falling off bi-cycle hand.

I'd say I'm a hospital doctor and I am telling you a missed scaphoid fracture can lead to real problems, so don't ignore this and get it checked out. This macho 'man up' attitude is not helpful.
  • Tashman
    Neil Grubb wrote:
    Neil Grubb wrote:

I'd say I'm a hospital doctor and I am telling you a missed scaphoid fracture can lead to real problems, so don't ignore this and get it checked out. This macho 'man up' attitude is not helpful.
    This - Doesn't need to be A&E, this is exactly what minor injuries units are designed to deal with
  • .[/quote]
    This - Doesn't need to be A&E, this is exactly what minor injuries units are designed to deal with[/quote]

In my previous posts I said the OP needed to get it checked out, not that he needed to go to A&E. So if there is a minor injuries unit then that's ideal. In many places however A&E is the only option. Manning up and ignoring this is not a sensible option.

My concern is that the mechanism of injury (fall and lengthways stress on the wrist / forearm) and symptoms (pain at base of thumb and in hand) are typical.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,749
    edited February 2017
    Neil Grubb wrote:
    In my previous posts I said the OP needed to get it checked out, not that he needed to go to A&E. So if there is a minor injuries unit then that's ideal. In many places however A&E is the only option. Manning up and ignoring this is not a sensible option.

My concern is that the mechanism of injury (fall and lengthways stress on the wrist / forearm) and symptoms (pain at base of thumb and in hand) are typical.
    My step-son recently had an incident on a bmx bike towards the end of a very boozy night. Upshot is that after 6 months of hospital visits, physio and pain, he is now getting a complete new wrist. Simply falling off a bike can have serious consequences.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Tashman
    Neil Grubb wrote:
    This - Doesn't need to be A&E, this is exactly what minor injuries units are designed to deal with[/quote]

My concern is that the mechanism of injury (fall and lengthways stress on the wrist / forearm) and symptoms (pain at base of thumb and in hand) are typical.[/quote]
    No, I was agreeing with you completely. Matthewfalle was the one mentioning A&E
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Neil Grubb wrote:
    Neil Grubb wrote:

Don't worry about Matthew - he has an........'idiosyncratic' sense of humour.

Not that avascular necrosis is a laughing matter.....
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D